As a pensioner I cannot afford to pay mechanics at £25 or £35 per hour to fix this irritating loss of screen wash on the rear window. The front works okay. If I had a diagram of the pipework then perhaps I could sort the problem out.

check the pipe on the back of the motor

does screenwash leak out from the boot trim if you use the rear washer with the boot open?

try it and see if you can see water leaking from around the black trim on the inside of the boot lid.

There's a join just before the pipe heads through the bulkhead into the cabin, below the engine ECU; there's another behind the plastic trim under where the rear left seatbelt lies when not in use

Edited by Wino

As said- one join on front bulkhead -- if it's here, you will get a wet patch under car. Try washers, and then move car , noting where the wet patch ( if any ) is in relation to car. If at front, it's on the front bulkhead. Other places are on /near where pipe goes over rear passenger seat ( near side.), or in extreme , where pipe joins rear wash nozzle.

Once found, best way to stop pipes coming off is to follow Skoda advice- never use water, without screenwash ( I find 50/50 + dash of cheap washing up liquid) works well most of year and neat screenwash ( or stronger if in cold parts -to stop wash in pipes freezing up) .

Pipes on mine had come adrift close to ABS unit on passenger side because some idiot of a sales person had tried to use plain water, which is ( like salesperson ) more dense than screen wash

I cut the awful original pipe connectors off and sleeved my connections with Halfords 5mm vacuum tube. Never had a problem since. I make sure it has the right screen wash concentration in winter.

3547458.jpg

Edited by TMB

Thank you all for your help on this water pipe, firstly yes the pipe had come adrift near the bulk head and I managed to do as TBM suggested using 5mm vacuum pipe. Great I thought so I tried it out only to find the pipe by the rear passenger door had also come adrift, so I fixed that and tried again. Now I managed to get a small amount of water at the rear wiper .

So how do you get access to the trim inside the boot lid in case the pipe has come off there also?

The trim just pulls away, but is a bit of a bugger to get back on, from memory, so avoid if you can.

On ours, there was still a problem after fixing all these joints, which turned out to be the nozzle itself almost completely blocked.  It can be pulled out, from the outside, and descaled/unblocked indoors, then pushed back in.  I can't remember what I used now, it's a long time ago, but there's a right-angle bend that's awkward to poke 'around' I think.  You don't want to do this clearing inwards with it still on the car, or the debris that's blocking it will still be in there, ready to flow back and re-block it.

I think this might be the part number of the jet: 3B9955985A, ebay results look right, I think.

Thats brilliant thank you so much for your fast response, the jet nozzle was pointing the wrong way plus cleaning off residue its now working. Thanks again and may I wish you and your family a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

• Like 2

Hi, I too had this problem on our Fabia, essentially it's due to the lack off screen wash concentrate in the washer bottle when the weather turns cold, but by keeping the concentrate high in relationship to plain water has certainly solved previous issues

• 2 months later...