Been offered a Corrado G60 for

Shifty

As above. It apparently is on an H plate, and needs a valve or something. I know these cars are good, and I thought they were quite rare in G60 form, so is 500 so cheap it must be avoided at all costs? or is it worth a look. The idea being a future track toy.

I know there are on or two corrado owners floating about in here, so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd have the VR6 - though a friend who has one claims the G60's are rather unriliable and (i think) you need to check the supercharger belt has been changed. I'll check with him later but I'm sure there is something about the superchargers on them you have to be careful with.

id say its a bit dodgy at that price, supercharger could be a bit rough at that age, and you wont tell till you start the engine and obviously you cant if one of the valves is f c u k e d,

it depends if you have 500 quid to take the chance with. could very well be a great little revver

I used to own one, & it cost me a fair bit to keep it running.

If it needs a valve, it's hard to find out if the G-Lader is shot. Noisy (grinding noises) running & lots of oil in the IC pipe work, mean something's wrong.

These are at least £500 for a rebuild.

I'd be interested in some more details, as mine was a H plate.

They're not really any more unreliable than any other car of a similar age. If the body and interior are decent, and it drives OK it's a bargain. Does it have much history? If the charger hasn't been done, you'll need to factor that into the cost. You can get them refurbed from around £300-500 depending what you want done. Get it remapped and a smaller pulley fitted and it will be getting on for 200bhp, and quite a beast!

Saw one today and it sounded gorgeous. Had a growly aftermarket exhaust, which combined with the charger, made it sound like a spitfire.

You've got nothing to lose from testdriving it. You know you want to!

It's definately worth having a look at it at that price, but I have deep suspicion that it's that price for a reason.

You can buy everything for them second hand, and there is a reasonable supply of bits for them BUT things like trim, body panels and bumpers etc are very expensive and pattern parts are not very good quality.

Get over on clubgti.com and also have a look on the classifieds on performance VW magazine (you'll have to google that one as I can't remember where the '-' goes in the url.

Examine the bodywork and chassis with extreme caution at this price as many have been crashed and/or thrashed and remember that it is an old car that was coachbuilt by Karmann and hence expensive when new and rare enough to make parts for it expensive now it's old.

If it's just going to be a track weapon don't worry about paintwork of interior too much, and engines and stuff can be bought second hand. In fact it's quite possibly going to be cheaper to buy a whole second hand engine and bits than fixing an old one. Just don't skimp on the G Lader, the manufacturing tolerances weren't 100 per cent on them so they do need looking after very carefully. You might find that it doesn't feel that quick anyway as they weren't very revvy engines and the supercharger has a certain amount of drag on the engine until it really gets up and running. Plus it's also quite a heavy car for it's size.

Hope I'm not sounding too negative here, it's just that these cars were my era and we all know that cars can become money pits in no time at all.

Good luck Shifty!

Wow, thanks for your views and tips guys.

It will be purely for the track, and i remember they handle quite well stock.

I will have a good look around it tomorrow and let you know. :thumbup:

Charger should be refurbed ideally every 2 years or 60,000 miles ish, whichever comes sooner. A rebuild costs about £500 (www.g-werks.com) or a new charger around a grand(!)

I've a Golf G60 sitting on the drive and its a great car, good fun on the track too.

If its for a track car great, if it blows up on the track you haven't lost a lot....

or a new charger around a grand(!)

.......if you can find one! Hard to come by these days.

Some have replaced with an Eaton charger (from the Mercs) or a Lynsholm. The latter is popular in the States.

Only Kidding, Wouldn't mind a mooch though! I only know of 2 Red C's in Darlo, One is a valver, the other a VR!

:D No probs. It's actually for my mate who has a rather nice silver G60 with Porker rims. dunno whether you've seen it about...

Shifty, I seem to remember you slagged off the Corrado in the cool wall thread :confused: ... changed your mind? :thumbup:

Good memory. I dont think i was too harsh, just that i didnt feel it was cool. Not been to look at this one yet, gonna try and see it today. it's not advertised, it's a mate of a mate etc.

Just seems like a good idea for a track beast.

Although a sierra 2.0 4x4 may be coming avaliable for alot less soon.