Juddering DSG Gearbox

nbramwel

I have a Fabia SEL with the DSG gearbox.  This is the first automatic car I have owned and like it a lot.  Since the car was new, I have detected a slight judder when the car is warm, in first gear and creeping forward (foot off the accelerator).  It isn't a bad judder but is noticeable.  It doesn't happen in any other gear.  I mentioned it at the first service.  The dealer said it wasn't a fault and is how the DSG gearbox is.

Have others experienced the same or is the dealer trying to avoid putting a fault right?

I had a ''Missing'' feeling whilst driving and it was diagnosed as needing a new clutch pack, there seems to be a few out there that are faulty, mine was only a few months old with low mileage... been done a few months now and seems ok, this is a known fault despite what the dealer tells you.

nbramwel,

Who at the dealership told you that is how the DSG is,  Service Desk or Workshop employee, Sales or the Principal Dealer?

The nonsense some of these Employees come away with is just ridiculous.

If you have issues get a Master Tech to drive the car, do a diagnostic and put in writing that it is not faulty and behaving as 

VW Engineers designed it to, ie 'with a slight judder when warm',  

Have the Tech or Service Desk staff put that on the Computer for the Skoda System to have your reported behaviour of DSG and Dealership on record.

When Skoda say, 'Never heard of issues', it is often because Dealers employ incompetents.

• Like 1

Agree with Offski, your DSG should be smooth. If it isn't the 1st gear clutch must be warped or have contamination of the friction face causing mild judder. Judder with dry clutches normally gets worse as the clutch wears so make sure you do as Offski says and make an official complaint that the car is juddering in first gear. It may not be bad enough at the moment for them to do it under warranty but get the master tech to drive it for conformation of the fault and get them to record the problem on the putery thingy. Sometimes, judder can go away as the clutch wears (but not normally) and they may want to wait to see if the fault corrects itself. 

My own DSG is very smooth and about the best auto box I've ever owned or driven. I take it you are not referring to the slight dip in the take up of the drive when the box goes from 1st to second which happens very very quickly on these boxes and could under some circumstances make you think it's a clutch issue? 

• Like 2

I take it you are not referring to the slight dip in the take up of the drive when the box goes from 1st to second which happens very very quickly on these boxes and could under some circumstances make you think it's a clutch issue?

This is the one huge bug bear of mine. It makes me feel like people can really see the car lurching when I give it some beans.

Unless you press the accelerator in a certain way from standstill, you get this horrible lurch in the 1st to 2nd gear change which to me feels like power loss.

Feather the accelerator and progressively push it down and you can get a great pull away from the lights with a lightning 1st to 2nd gear change which I cannot feel at all. What gives? Why can't it just do it all Of the time!

I presume it's 'normal'?

Light of foot on the accelerator makes a big difference, and being aware of any delay that can occur going from brake to throttle, and be aware that wheel spin can cut power.

2 foot driving does not really work as any brake and pedal touching at the same time messes up changes.

Smooth driving and gear changes should be expected though and judders are a characteristic.

1.0 TSI / DSG i have driven have been as good as those with the 7 speeds in the 1.2 & 1.4 TSI's.

Americans might know nothing about the UK Highway Code and not sitting with foot on foot brake and brake light dazzling those behind, 

but thats how it rolls, in the US and with Car Manufacturers.  

'Auto Hold' has sorted that out now though. Great Feature where it is with a DSG.

Edited by Offski

13, I find the standard 'D' mode quite good but as you say, it needs a lighter throttle technique for completely fast and smooth move off, and funnily enough, this produces the fastest move off too in many circumstances. To move off very quickly I use 'S' mode. It takes off fast without any issues. The thing to remember is that 'D' is heavily slanted towards economy mode, to get you the best fuel economy. That's a good video Offski.

Thank you all.  My problem is simply that the car judders in first gear, not when changing up to second or in any other gear, including reverse.  It is booked in with the dealer for next Thursday.  I will post an update after this.

• Like 1

Some 7 speed DSG certainly do not like 1st gear if you stay below about 6 mph moving off. & only drop to '1 D when almost stopped when slowing down.

When crawling in traffic i have got used to changing to 'S' (stays in 1st) if not going quick enough for the box to change to 2nd in 'D'.

Hi guys, I miss my Fabia and especially the DSG box, it is without doubt a fantastic combination.

Such interesting comments but these small gripes have been voiced for years now.

I have always thought, the dual clutch gearbox is a fantastic box but is a totally different animal to a TC box. You have to 'learn' how to drive it and it has to 'learn' how you drive, but once mastered it is a joy.  About the only sense I ever had of mine changing through the 7 gears was watching the numbers changing on the dial in front of me.

Should I change my car again it will have to have a DSG box and of course be a Fabia.

Harry.

• Like 2

Took the car into the dealers yesterday and dealt with the Aftersales Manager.  He agreed there was a judder in first gear and compared my car to a brand new Fabia with the DSG gearbox, albeit an estate, to double check.  The car is booked in for 5 and 6 January 2017 for a replacement clutch.  I'll post an update after this.

• Like 2

Good.

What has been said about the employee that told you it was normal when first reported and might be going around telling other customers that this is how DSG are?

Too many lazy and ignorant employees in Skoda UK Official Dealership and their management and Skoda UK Senior Management need to get a grip. IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the car into the dealers as arranged on 5 January 2017.  They replaced the DSG clutch, release bearing and spigot bearing, carried out basic settings and did an adaptive test drive (this is what it says on my paperwork).  Seems OK now and the juddering in first gear has gone.

I'm not sure what bits of the car had to be removed for this work to be done (I just want to check that everything has been put back right).  Any advice on this gratefully received.  Also should the garage have checked the wheel alignment after the work or not? 

Great news! No...the front wheel alignment is not required after gearbox removal, and that's all they did, remove the gearbox to do the clutch. This mean disconnection of the drive shafts etc but no alteration of the steering gear adjustment. It's a pretty easy job on these motors.

Edited by Estate Man