Wind noise

13 hours ago, Grap said:

Laakkonen. They tried taping the door upper frame and window but it didnt help.

I also tried to cover all the gaps on the driver door with tapes but the wind noise doesn't seem to go away. It's truly difficult to pinpoint the exact problem.

I don't know if this will help you guys but with my wind noise, I noticed that the main source of the actual wind noise came from the side mirrors. They produce a lot of turbulence, and it was the noise from the mirrors that was getting into the cabin through a small imperfection in my window seal. So the window seal was letting the noise in from another source. 

Perhaps try taping up the gaps on the mirrors, or fold them in whilst driving (only if safe to do so etc) and see if that makes a difference? 

Also, make sure you try taping up the chrome strips - I heard that these can cause vibrations or air leaks too.

Lastly, try taping up the actual door opening gaps to rule those out (this might mean you'll have to climb in from the passenger side!) 

Drew

I think I'm lucky the only wind noise in my car is self generated. It's usually at that point I increase wind noise by lowering the windows to alleviate that problem :)

• Like 4

On 2017-6-16 at 13:00, drewellis said:

I don't know if this will help you guys but with my wind noise, I noticed that the main source of the actual wind noise came from the side mirrors. They produce a lot of turbulence, and it was the noise from the mirrors that was getting into the cabin through a small imperfection in my window seal. So the window seal was letting the noise in from another source. 

Perhaps try taping up the gaps on the mirrors, or fold them in whilst driving (only if safe to do so etc) and see if that makes a difference? 

Also, make sure you try taping up the chrome strips - I heard that these can cause vibrations or air leaks too.

Lastly, try taping up the actual door opening gaps to rule those out (this might mean you'll have to climb in from the passenger side!) 

Drew

How can you fold the mirrors when driving? I think the car doesn't let you do that.

• 1 month later...
On 15/06/2017 at 21:26, Grap said:

Im having this same problem. Wind noise both sides, driver side worse. I took the car dealer yesterday and they confirmed the noise. They didnt find a fix yet. They send email to Skoda what to do.

Have you got any reply from your dealer regarding this yet? I may kind of accept the fact that I'll have to live with it.

10 hours ago, reindeer said:

Have you got any reply from your dealer regarding this yet? I may kind of accept the fact that I'll have to live with it.

I asked it week ago and dealer said they are still waiting instructions from Skoda what to do.

17 minutes ago, Grap said:

I asked it week ago and dealer said they are still waiting instructions from Skoda what to do.

Please let us know if they find something. I'll try to contact Metroauto again after the summer holiday break and see if they can do something (else) about it.

On 20.7.2017 at 10:50, reindeer said:

Please let us know if they find something. I'll try to contact Metroauto again after the summer holiday break and see if they can do something (else) about it.

Metroauto was able to make my drivers door a lot more quiet. The mechanic found air leak from inside the door panelling which he then taped with some special tape. When I picked up the car and heard the story I was sure the repair won't help as the sound seemed to be coming from the top corner of the door, but I was wrong. I still have some noise left but it's now lot better than before.

3 hours ago, Zetor said:

Metroauto was able to make my drivers door a lot more quiet. The mechanic found air leak from inside the door panelling which he then taped with some special tape. When I picked up the car and heard the story I was sure the repair won't help as the sound seemed to be coming from the top corner of the door, but I was wrong. I still have some noise left but it's now lot better than before.

Good to hear about this. In my case, on the first visit, they said the mechanic found a leak on one of the plastic piece on the windshield and managed to fix it but I didn't notice any difference.

• 9 months later...
On 25.07.2017 at 11:57, reindeer said:

Good to hear about this. In my case, on the first visit, they said the mechanic found a leak on one of the plastic piece on the windshield and managed to fix it but I didn't notice any difference.

Hello guys , I'm owner of Octavia , but it looks like Suberb model has the same problem ,  at my last visit at dealer I mentioned them I got wind noise in area of B-pillar , ,  they accepted the challenge ,  they tried to adjust the door position , check seals  and correct some plastic cover under windshield  (whatever it is )  .    After I checked it again when I left dealer location ...   the wind noise was identical , and it is still identical. 

I have got many opinion that shape of external mirrors generate this wind noise and we got a feeling that it's somewhere around pillar-B,  but in fact it's around mirrors ,  the sound it just moved to the pillar B and this is only our feelings .

it's hard to believe when you are driving above 60mph (100km/h) and you hear that exacly from pillar-B , bit from mirrors area.    if anyone fixed that I would appriciate for instraction ,  this is annoying bug in that cars 

UK car - driver side affected for me - near the B pillar area.

i found the noise coming from mine is worse when driving with a winding aiming towards the drivers door. i was driving north to south and there was a southwest/westerly wind. 

i haven't even bothered trying to get a skoda dealer to drive it to replicate the noise - and i know they would not take my word for it. they usually need to have the car for a complete day. 

Yes, direction of wind does matter.  During windy day , wind noise is lauder at the area of B pillar.    Passanger side and Driver side , both have the same issue ,  once you are sitting as a driver you hear that better on drive side , this is why you think it's on driver side only.   at higher speed you can hear both sides well. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...