Smartlink

I spoke with my dealership today, who confirmed that it's possible to activate Smartlink in my car (if I'm willing to pay the £135 activation fee). At the moment I'm Blue-toothing Tidal to the infotainment. However, unless I set up a playlist before I get in the car, I don't have any control over what I'm listening to, and I'm not prepared to risk my licence or your or my life to scroll through my saved albums, while I'm on the move!!

I've got Spotify included with my Mobile contract, so I want to be able to access my saved albums through the head unit. I appreciate that there will be varying opinions on the value of smartlink, however, it seems the most useful way of accessing and controlling my music (I have moved away from physical music formats and stream everything so saving to an SD card is not an option).

Any user reviews from people who are currently using Spotify with smartlink and the android auto app? (I've checked, the phone I use for my music storage is compatible with Smartlink)

I'm assuming Tidal isn't currently supported, however I'm not too bothered with this as I save my car music to 320 kbps anyway.

EDIT: 

What I'm really looking for is opinions on how Spotify interacts with Android Auto and Smartlink, confirmation that all my saved music can be accessed reasonably easy and safely -any issues with drop outs etc. Thanks!

Edited by Isocrem

Spotify works perfectly for me. Once you're moving though you will need to rely on voice control as the menu options are limited once you set off. For the functionality it's well worth it.

• Like 1

I'm using Google Play for Music and Pocket Casts for Podcasts and I'm really starting to like it. I've spent most of my time in Android Auto. Voice recognition is excellent for music selection and I have tried to trip it up!

I assume Spotify will have the same voice recognition capabilities as I suspect it's part of Android and not the app.

• Like 1

Just a couple of other questions on smartlink! Does it take over the Head Unit completely? Is switching between Android Auto and, say, the head unit radio, a simple thing? Will it play spotify while I view the in built sat nav? I also take it that android auto will handle phone calls as well. Does the Maxi Dot still show call and, let's say google maps info, like it does with the BT phone handling and in built sat nav?

Just a couple of other questions on smartlink! Does it take over the Head Unit completely? Is switching between Android Auto and, say, the head unit radio, a simple thing? Will it play spotify while I view the in built sat nav? I also take it that android auto will handle phone calls as well. Does the Maxi Dot still show call and, let's say google maps info, like it does with the BT phone handling and in built sat nav?

Switching back to the Skoda software in the headunit is easy just press one of the buttons at the side of the screen.  Music keeps running in Android Auto when you're back in Skoda nav.  

Android auto handles calls and texts.  

Android Auto does not make use of the Maxi-Dot display (possibly the most annoying thing about it!)

• Like 1

I had Smartlink activated today. I haven't had a great deal of time to get used to it, so probably lots of id10t user errors from yours truly. 

Firstly, I've tried to use the voice control button on the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to work with Android Auto Spotify. The mic symbol on the screen does, when I press it. Is there any tweek I can make to link the steering wheel control?

I can't get voice control to select my saved albums on Spotify? For instance if I say 'Play Roger Whittaker whistles the blues' it fails to select the album. Am I asking too much of the system, or does it not share my exquisite musical tastes?  :notme:

Edited by Isocrem

I'm not sure about Android but the voice control button on the steering wheel works when using Smartlink with my iPhone. To use the normal voice control you press the button. To use the Smartlink voice control you have to press and hold the button. Have you tried pressing and holding the button with your Android system?

• Like 1

I'm not sure about Android but the voice control button on the steering wheel works when using Smartlink with my iPhone. To use the normal voice control you press the button. To use the Smartlink voice control you have to press and hold the button. Have you tried pressing and holding the button with your Android system?

I'm just going to give that a try! Thanks.

Yep, press and hold the voice control button to get Android Auto to listen.  It'll beep and come up with the coloured dots when it's listening.

I read that 'OK Google' has been enabled for Android Auto but haven't tried it yet.

I've tried OK Google, but it's not the most reliable of things and has on occasion triggered without me wanting it to for no apparent reason. 

Voice control (from Skoda) is an option on the Fabia which I don't have- the button pops up 'no voice control available' in the Maxi-Dot when you press it, but goes through to Android Auto properly when you long press!

Spotify isn't the most reliable of apps, but it works well enough. It's certainly getting better than it used to be. You can also select albums by pressing the green letter 'A' in the circle on the top right, which brings up a large of keyboard which you can then select things from. Not the best way, but way better than scrolling through.

In my opinion though the most significant bonus is Google Maps. Having accurate traffic conditions and re-routing is wonderful. 

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that irks me about smartlink/Apple CarPlay is that, whilst it's easy to jump from CarPlay to radio/nav/whatever, you have to scroll through the options again to go back to CarPlay. 1st world problems I know, but it would be nice to have a "now playing" button on the touchscreen to let you navigate back in one go.

I'll wait for someone to tell me I'm a doofus now, and that I'm missing something really obvious! :-)

Edited by GlenAnderson
  • Like 1

The only thing that irks me about smartlink/Apple CarPlay is that, whilst it's easy to jump from CarPlay to radio/nav/whatever, you have to scroll through the options again to go back to CarPlay. 1st world problems I know, but it would be nice to have a "now playing" button on the touchscreen to let you navigate back in one go.

I'll wait for someone to tell me I'm a doofus now, and that I'm missing something really obvious! :-)

No, I'm with you on that. I haven't found an easier route than scrolling .

Having lived with Smartlink for a week or so, I'm pleased with it. The hands free calling is better in that I can select 'Mobile' or 'Home' by voice (Skoda asks me to select on the infotainment if both mobile and landline are stored for the same person. Spotify is good, though I'd prefer it if I could select albums on my saved list by voice, rather than scrolling. Smartlink syncs pretty quickly between phone and unit, though I've noticed that if I stop the car and leave the phone connected, when I restart the car, it doesn't always sync without removing the usb and putting it back again.

• 2 years later...
On 29/12/2016 at 11:29, pjam73 said:

Press the Phone button on the left of the screen, then tap the Carplay button. On Android you do need to scroll through the Menu screen as you described.

Keep forgetting to thank you for this tip. 😀