Cam belt or chain

stan7746

Hi on the subject of cam belts I have a 2011 Fabia Estate TDI CR 105 which I have owned from new and covered just over 30000 miles. Being 5 years old I today booked the vehicle in with my Skoda main agents who I purchased the vehicle from for a service (£269) and believing a cam belt/tensioners/water pump was also advisable I requested a price to supply and fit incl VAT(£465) but was informed my vehicle with Engine No CAY J32343 was chain driven so obviously no cam belt I questioned this several times, the service assistant even went to the service manager who confirmed this.  I was so surprised I asked if they would send me an email with their details on confirming this which they have.   Now having been a member for some time now and feel confident with forum members advise rather than my local Skoda agents...... can you help clear this up as I am not sure how I would stand legally should there be a cam belt which was not changed and it failed many thanks

Edited by stan7746
  • Like 1

Thanks for your response 2ndskoda

Yes the Skoda main agent whom I purchased the vehicle from new and have always serviced the vehicle.  Please see a copy of the email below certain info removed to protect the innocent ........................

Good Morning Mr --------

Thank you for visiting the dealership today.

I can confirm that as per Skoda Menu pricing and Elsa Pro systems your vehicle  ------ does not require a  Cambelt change at 40,000 miles as the vehicle is a chain driven engine and therefore will not require changing at the Cambelt interval of 40,000 miles.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me,

Thank you for your visit today.  

The original email has the service advisors name, main agents details and the Skoda emblem 

Edited by stan7746
  • Like 1

Just as I thought xman but she insisted and I even ask her to check with the Service Manager who she said agreed no cam belt so thought I'd get some correct advise on here to prove I was not going crazy

Edited by stan7746
  • Like 1

Well, if your cambelt goes and breaks your engine the dealer hasn't got a leg to stand on. You've got it in writing that your car does not need a cambelt change as it hasn't got one.

Hello again stan 7746

Hopefully you will follow this up - and make sure that your dealer eats humble pie. Take their letter/email with you and wave it in their faces!!!!

A Skoda dealer that does not know its product basic specs is inexcusable, and should be followed up by SUK  without delay. We will all be intrigued to know what happened next.

• Like 1