Retro fitting heated seats

On 02/08/2018 at 20:55, Aston_Bodger said:

And I also used a Kufatec loom, not sure what is hand written on the diagram.

On the hand written diagram there is the "backtrace" of the kufatec loom. I did it with a multimeter before fitting it. It helped me to understand which wire goes where and for example to check if I need to swap wires between connectors and so on.

I know I did not really explain the abbreviations.

CM - climate/heating control module

FB - fuse box

GP - ground point

ST C. PIN 1 - this needs to be conencted to the Central Electric Control Module connector C pin 1

BFS PIN2, BFS PIN1, BFS PIN10 - pins in the connector going to the left seat - these names are actually coming from the kufatec loom, the cables are labeled

FS PIN2, FS PIN1, FS PIN7, LFS PIN10, FS PIN5, FS PIN3 - pins in the connector going to the right seat - these names are also coming from the kufatec loom

(I think I swapped the left seat/right seat mar on the drawing)

numbers in the circles - these were endings on the kufatec loom which were important

1 - self-explaining, ST C> PIN 1

2 - min fuse in the fuse box - switched +12V

3 - normal fuse in the fuse box - steady +12V

4 - feed from the mini fuse to the climate control module - switched +12V

5, 6 - wires for passanger/driver seats, coming from the climate control module, carrying signals to tell the seat heating relay to feed the pads with the appropriate current

7, 8, connectors for driver/passanger seat

Anyway, even if it is no perfect, it helped me a lot. Sorry if it made a confusion.

Unfortunately it seems that the loom ordered from cars-equipment is not the same as the kufatec one... I didn't know this when I wrote my post.

With this on my mind I would advise to order the kufatec variant. That definitely worked for me (and for others as well).

• 4 weeks later...

When I swapped my seats over to leather, I reused the hog rings, when I took them apart again to fit the heater pads etc, I used small black cable ties, and 3 years later still as good as the day I fitted them, no sags or movement.

Trev

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

I have an O2 (2006) where following the instructions here and the PDF guide, i retrofitted heated seats with:

- climate control (climatronic) containing seat heating buttons reused from totaled car.

- heated seats (textil) from the same car. 

- relay/control module was included in the seats, BUT under the passanger seat (right side). The guy i bought them from (+ climatronic) dismantled a left side steering wheal car, but the position of the relay/control module being on the right suggests otherwise.

- i bought a kufatec loom http://www.kufatec.ro/shop/en/skoda/octavia/1z/seat-heating-cable-set-skoda-octavia-1z-seat-adjustment1?info=7336 without electric seat adjustment 

What i did:

- swapped old seats with the ones with OEM carbon heating. Thy also had airbags and seat occupancy wires which i did not connect to anything.

- swapped the climatronic modules (with the one with seat controls 1Z0 907 044 J ), inserted PINs 10,11,12  (pin 11 of the loom was thin double wired and labled blue/red - so for seat with relay)

- I connected the single PIN to CECM > Connector C > Pin 1 (this was so easy)

- i connected the 2 fuse wires: fuse 37> 30A, fuse 7 > 5A and checked, both of then were live with current

- since my relay/ control module (1Z0 959 772 ) was on the right seat(passenger), i had to extend the loom connector for the relay, 6 wires, with 3 of cabling meters each, matching the gauge (thickness). I ended up with both seat connectors having a 3 meter length of wiring.

- connected 2 groundings near the hood release lever, individually as there were 2 earthing points.

Result:

Sadly nothing works:

- checks with both seat control buttons set to 0, and checks with both set to 3 (of 5)

- I get 'Coding Accepted' in VCDS > Cent. Electr. > Coding > Long coding> Byte 2 > bit 7 "enable seat heating". But the setting is not saved. Wen i go back and check, the checkmark is blank.

- I tried reversing PINs 10 & 11 in the climatronic, and VCDS again. Also nothing

I'm in the process of purchasing a multimeter (my old one died on me) to do wire testing.

ANY help, any advice is greately apreciated.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

cent elec.jpg

climatronic.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

If the VCDS coding does not work then I'm 99% sure it is the fault of the VCDS itself.

I had a VCDS (not official) which produced the same symptoms. I was able to set long coding with it only once but never again.

Cracked versions of VCDS 14.xx are known to have this fault.

Try to set the bit with a different VCDS or with another tool (OBDEleven, etc).

18 hours ago, olesz said:

If the VCDS coding does not work then I'm 99% sure it is the fault of the VCDS itself.

I had a VCDS (not official) which produced the same symptoms. I was able to set long coding with it only once but never again.

Cracked versions of VCDS 14.xx are known to have this fault.

Try to set the bit with a different VCDS or with another tool (OBDEleven, etc).

You were right on this.

I have a vcds 12.12 interface, and i borrowed one from a friend which is also 12.12

It worked to activate seat heating with his 12.12 on the first try. Strange as it is the same version as mine.

With the help of a multimeter i was able to detect that current from the 5A fuse in the fuse box was not reaching pin 12 in the Climatronic module. The stupid whire will just not stick in the specific location in the fuse box, so i wired it outside of the box with a little improv.

I have some success:

- Keep in mind that my seat heater controller is under the passenger seat like on cars with stearing on the right

- The passenger seat heats up, but only on levels 4 & 5. 1 - 3 doesn't seem to do anything.

- The driver seat is dead however. I measured the cables in the connector under the seat which connects to the seat connectors, the're all good. This connector has 3 wires (Steady +, Ground, and another thin blue wire from the climatronic control). The steady= has 14v current, and when i turn seat heating on from the driver dial on the climatronic i have 14v on the thin wire also. I then connected the large connector in the seat and measured up to both heating pads (back & seat). The current was reaching the wires with no issue, but the heating pads will not heat up. It's strange because none of the 2 heating pads is working, Both seat and back pads are not heating up.

The only explanation is that both pads are fried.

I'm not sure what will follow.

BTW, Central Electronics in VCDS > Measuring Blocks > 010 (Seat Heating ) always says INACTIVE, although the passenger seat heats up fine....ish...(only on levels 4 & 5)

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Did you ever get this working?

There was no need to extend the seat wires, the loom you have was already left hand drive, it's the same one as I used, all I did to overcome the problem of extending wires is to swap the seat looms over, so now I have the seat relay under the drivers seat instead of the passenger seat, problem solved.

On your set up you should not need to do this?, I could be wrong?

Since fitting mine I have had no problems what so ever.

Hope this helps,

Trev

On 22/12/2016 at 22:11, mikeholroyd said:

£50 to do both seats - not OEM but a perfectly workable solution that I have used in my leather Octavia seats for the last 3 years with no issues at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-HEATED-SEAT-KITS-TWO-STAGE-SWITCHES-CARBON-FIBRE-ELEMENT-PAD-/261474135955?hash=item3ce112af93:g:SVAAAOxyHIlTahhz

Using Eddie-NL's guide to stripping the seats, I installed the carbon fibre heating elements, and mounted the round two stage switch in the coin tray in the side of the seat. Totally out of the way, no changing of anything on the dashboard, and no coding required as the kit is not integrated into the canbus. The power is taken from an ignition switched live in the fuse box, and the cables routed under the carpet to come out under the seats by the airbag wiring and the result is very, very good indeed. The high setting really does get very warm indeed, but is properly thermostatically controlled so it is perfectly safe. 

Here's a photo of where I put the seat heater switches:

post-37410-0-41564100-1482444569_thumb.jpg

This one is when I was swapping seats between the cars, you can see the switch in the coin tray of the leather seat

post-37410-0-35455900-1482445056_thumb.jpg

The retrofitting has been so successful that I will be buying another of the same kit for the other car.

Mike

Is it possible just to piggy back the ciggy lighter?

ZM3O8FT.jpg

I would not do this, as the socket is fed by a 10A fuse, the seats may or may not draw more, and pop the fuse every time, I would find an unused fuse position on the fuse box, or use the proper loom like I did above.

Hope this helps,

Trev

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In the process of fitting Lauren&Klement leather heated, with electrically adjustable drivers seat to my 2012 Octy Scout.

The passenger (left hand) is dead other than the heating elements, the drivers seat has all sorts of elektrickery underneath and the motor units.

The correct for my car climatronic panel with heated seat function has been got from the bay of fleas and the loom from the main Kufatec site in Germany.

My dilemma is this...

The Kufatec loom appears to be for a left hand drive car, even though I put notes on my order that it is for an RHD vehicle.

Having downloaded the fitting instructions I'm still none the wiser, but aware that the loom won't fit in this current state.

Naturally I don't want to start pulling the car inside out as it's a daily driver, or butchering the Kufatec loom to make it fit.

Is it the correct loom and compatible with the version of climatronic unit that is fitted? 

Am I missing something?

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 23:47, Chrisb69 said:

In the process of fitting Lauren&Klement leather heated, with electrically adjustable drivers seat to my 2012 Octy Scout.

The passenger (left hand) is dead other than the heating elements, the drivers seat has all sorts of elektrickery underneath and the motor units.

The correct for my car climatronic panel with heated seat function has been got from the bay of fleas and the loom from the main Kufatec site in Germany.

My dilemma is this...

The Kufatec loom appears to be for a left hand drive car, even though I put notes on my order that it is for an RHD vehicle.

Having downloaded the fitting instructions I'm still none the wiser, but aware that the loom won't fit in this current state.

Naturally I don't want to start pulling the car inside out as it's a daily driver, or butchering the Kufatec loom to make it fit.

Is it the correct loom and compatible with the version of climatronic unit that is fitted? 

Am I missing something?

Sorry for late reply.

Right, all looms are LHD, there are no RHD looms.

What I did was simple, on the original looms you get with car from new are LHD and RHD depending where you are in the world, The aftermarket loom is only LHD, so you need to do this, usually the controller is under the passenger side on RHD vehicles, mine is under the drivers side LHD spec, all you need to do is swap the seat looms over L to R, if that makes sense?

I did not cut or extend any loom, the long part goes to the passenger side and the short part is the drivers side.

Any problems let me know and I will assist.

Trevor AKA Aston Bodger

Edited by Aston_Bodger