Legislation gone mad

Gwilo

So this week SWMBO and I are in the hospital for the 20 week scan of El Bambino.

Last time we were there, we paid the fee for pictures, and got really crummy ones.

So we dutifully paid again this time, hoping for better results, but though, what the heck, we'll ask about videoing the screen ; the midwife was more than happy to let us do so at the scans for heartbeat etc.

The sonographer gave me such a dirty look and pointed to signs saying that due to data protection and some other legislation additional photography or filming was banned.

I've got some basic familiarity with the DPA professionally, and I really couldn't see any grounds for prohibiting filming or photography of the screen with your baby on it. Unless it's some swivel eyed loonie that's successfully argued it's an infringement of the baby rights as they are incapable of giving consent.

Or could it be that the NHS Trust responsible is trying to hide behind legislation, inappropriately, to cover themselves so footage from parents that shows a missed anomaly isn't used against them in some imaginary future legal action? Cynical? Moi?

If anyone can explain rationally why such a stance is being taken, please enlighten me...

Well, bans on "filming children" clearly don't apply, since you are the parents of the child in question and clearly have consented.

I can't see anything in the DPA either, as long as you've filming the screen and not the staff.

Too many organisations and companies (mis-)use the DPA as a reason to be just plain awkward or in an attempt to justify not going to the bother of giving you information that you are entitled to receive.

IME, the large majority of times that someone uses the DPA as a reason not to do something, it has nothing to do with their organisation's policies and is a misunderstanding on their part. So many people believe that it means you can't share any data with anyone.

Anyway, just write and ask the trust what their policy is.

Load of ******. 

DPA is part of my stock and trade. Nothing there that has anything to do with the act at all.

As said above it's often quoted by people who have no idea about the act just to stop something they personally disagree with or can't be bothered with.

Sonographer was just being an arse.

Data Protection might have nothing to do with it, but 'Filming' and taking 'Photographs' might,

so get the correct reason why you could not film.

Someone in Senior Management allowed the displaying of the notice including the relevant bit, 'Other additional photography & filming is banned'.

Edited by Offski

Policy across all NHS trusts I know of.

AFAIK it's patient confidentiality coupled with stipulations by the equipment manufacturers under their licensing of the equipment.

Patient confidentiality as the other person in the room could be anyone. If the patient wishes to share the images (which contain a lot of personal information including NHS number, due date etc) then that's up to them. The person they take with them may or may not have the blessing of the other person to share this information. Which is why their viewing screen (if the room has one like our trust does) has none of this information displayed, only the image.

There are however many trusts who only give 1st scan pics and don't give out the sex of the baby as well (typically because of groups of people who are only looking for one sex of baby).

We had the same with our 3rd but spoke to the radiographer who was brilliant and made sure we had brilliant pics and almost double the usual amount which was commented on by the receptionist as we paid.

I assume you paid for the pictures from the scan?

Personally I don't think you really have any grounds for complaint on the quality of the the scan or pictures, the variables of a good clear scan are huge. As for not being allowed to film the screen while the scan is being done is a bit poor. Will ask the wife's opinion on this one when she gets in tomorrow morning at some point, she's currently waiting patiently to pull out a Christmas baby.

From what I have seen in the NHS it is the same with all images, not just sonograms of babies. When I was shadowing in the fracture clinic I was surprised to hear that the consultant didn't let the patient take a picture of their own x-ray. I asked the consultant about this afterwards and was told that she used to let patients take photos (even though it is against NHS policy) but she got into a lot of trouble with management over it, so now she sticks to NHS policy.