Quality of Pyrex cookware on the slide ?

Clunkclick

I recently had to replace a half-litre measuring jug because, after only 4 years use bits of glass had pinged off the pouring lip (Without it being previously subject to temperature contrast stress or a good bash) and the measuring transfer had completely disapearred. The previous generation item had lasted 30 years and was in A1 condition, before being dropped.

I've noticed the same with Pyrex  casseroles which I have bought recently, they only last a few years, before, unprovoked, they crack.

Anybody else noticed this slide in quality ?

Is this anything to do with the reported change from borosillicate to soda lime heat proofed glass ?

I notuce that the prices haven't gone down as a result of the manufacturer  using cheaper soda lime glass !

Another example of a near monopoly supplier taking the **** ?

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Fings ain't what they used to be.

We had 35 yr old cookpot, it went bang last year. Bought a new one that went bang after 9 months. Replacement is already looking worse for wear after a few months.

We threw our last old Pyrex casserole dish out last year, not because of breakage, it was too stained with use. This new stuff is pants.

Our last Pyrex measuring jug had the lip chip the first time it was used (about 4 years ago), not dropped, but as above, it flaked off when pouring hot liquids; luckily it didnt land in the food.

Stopped buying them.

I do wonder if the really cheap Pyrex seen in certain supermarkets is US stock made of the cheaper glass; it doesnt have the greenish hint of colour I remember from the old stuff.

I've just checked, all of the casseroles  I have bought since 2003 and they are all embossed on the base with the Pyrex  trade mark and "Made in France" - the measuring jugs I have recently  bought have no marking on the base - are these fakes ? In  which case  Amazon can have 'em back.

N