foglights on and flash with high beam

I seen a FL octavia last night with the foglights flashing with full beam asked the driver if it was something he had got activated from someone but he said its done that since he got it new in 2010. he said he loves it on single track unlit roads full of potholes. does anyone have any idea how this can be done in vcds ive had a look and can't see anything that will do it.

• Like 1

Fog lights are illegal unless driving in fog or falling snow.  As they only project light a short distance in front of the car they give no useful illumination unless you are driving at low speed.  On some cars the fog lights go out if switching from dipped to main beam.  In clear conditions decently aimed headlights are not assisted by fog lights.

Having the fog lights come on with main beam has never been a standard feature on any Skoda so your friend either didn't buy the car brand new or the car has had some additional coding / wiring

No it was when ever the full beam was flashed the foglights flashed with them and when the fullbeam was flicked on the foglights came on and stayed on untill full beam was put back off. He didnt really know much about the car just that he was sure it done it from when he got the car. Maybe i misunderstood and he hadnt had it from new. Ive seen that it can be done on the mk6 and 7 golf but i cant see anything about octavias having it maybe its not possible.

Fog lights are illegal unless driving in fog or falling snow. As they only project light a short distance in front of the car they give no useful illumination unless you are driving at low speed. On some cars the fog lights go out if switching from dipped to main beam. In clear conditions decently aimed headlights are not assisted by fog lights.

Actually, the law states that you may use them if visibility is seriously reduced to less than 100m. It makes no mention of it having to be foggy or snowing. One could argue that on an unlit country lane, front fog lights would be more appropriate than on a busy, lit motorway in fog.

To answer the question, no, I haven't seen this setting in VCDS. It could be done with additional wiring but ultimately it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by Metblackrat

Actually, the law states that you may use them if visibility is seriously reduced to less than 100m. It makes no mention of it having to be foggy or snowing. One could argue that on an unlit country lane, front fog lights would be more appropriate than on a busy, lit motorway in fog.

To answer the question, no, I haven't seen this setting in VCDS. It could be done with additional wiring but ultimately it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

You are, of course, right.  I was, at least, 20 years out of date.

Currently:

Rule 226: 'You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).'

No it was when ever the full beam was flashed the foglights flashed with them and when the fullbeam was flicked on the foglights came on and stayed on untill full beam was put back off. He didnt really know much about the car just that he was sure it done it from when he got the car. Maybe i misunderstood and he hadnt had it from new. Ive seen that it can be done on the mk6 and 7 golf but i cant see anything about octavias having it maybe its not possible.

This very same topic was discussed on here recently. I've spent 10 minutes looking for the thread but can't find it.