my fabia 1.4 16v goes into limp mode

my fabia 1.4 16v goes into limp mode and esp light and engine light come on when running at constant revs eg. 50mph roadworks limits on motorway. pullover switch off ingnition for 5 mins then runs ok but lights stay on. Any ideaers.

Any number of things;- erg valve, temporary faults/shorts etc.........needs a scan with vcds to narrow it down....

check spark plugs, leads, battery, fuel rail bled, fuses etc

• Like 1

Almost certainly the EGR valve, light constant throttle openings are the highest duty cycle on the EGR valve, probably gunged up, whip it all off and give it a thorough clean. Do a search, the EGR pipework is usually blocked where it enters the manifold.

• Like 1

How did you get on Paul? I'm having exactly the same problem on my 1.4 8v

I got a new radio for christmas and I noticed one of the lights has dimmed considerably, so before I whip off the EGR I'll try the easy win and disconnect the radio.

For the people who have removed and cleaned the EGR, the Hayne's manual insists that you need to replace the gasket upon replacing the rest of the valve assembly. Thoughts?

Edited by itsdanwatson

Don't think the 8-valve has an EGR valve?

Interesting. I haven't looked yet, but this has potentially saved me a lot of sanity credits!

I'm desperately trying to put together a windows virtual machine on my macbook so I can look for error codes with a good old fashioned cable! I did buy a bluetooth VAG tool but the thing is garbage. It only connects to the ECU when there aren't any error lights on the dash  :dull:

This kind of nudges the cause towards the battery though. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I *think* so. I haven't had a chance to look today.

I'm spending tomorrow putting a new rear wiper motor on so I'll check again.

Do the central spindle & wash nozzle pipe ....they fail & you need a new kit of parts........

Do the central spindle & wash nozzle pipe ....they fail & you need a new kit of parts........

Just bought a replacement motor assembly. £20 quid second hand. The repair kits go up to £60, so they can do one! There's a McGyver way of fixing it but I don't have the time right now. Have a spare to play with though now :D

Edited by itsdanwatson