CarPlay skoda yeti 2016 build date 2015 Audio Head unit

peenut

Hi I there were previous posts of this nature but no solution was found. I have a 2016 yeti 4x4 apparent build year 2015 which won't accept carplay? I am told that it can't be upgraded, apparently last week of the 2015 build where this occurred before they changed to a new audio system? Despite what I was told in the showroom.

what I cannot get an answer to is 'Can a new head from a 2016 Yeti work with carplay for iPhone?' If not why not what is the physical obstical with the car regarding this? Can it be so different from one week build to the next? It appears everything is in place USB connector all steering controls etc.

Or do I have to go for a different system? and what is involved?

I have also read that I loose the visual reverse parking on different units? is this true.

In other posts people were looking to upgrade the software etc but has anyone tried replacing the whole audio system?

many thanks if you can through some light on this as to what the issues are I would be appreciative

Edited by peenut
  • Like 1

From the 25 May 2015 (if the Skoda website is correct) the Amundsen headunit was changed to a newer version which supports Smartlink/Carplay/Android Auto.

If your car was built before this date, the headunit won't support Carplay. This is a hardware limitation so a software update won't help.

You might be able to find a newer headunit and have that installed, although it will have CP (component protection). Currently, CP needs a dealer to unlock and if the headunit isn't the correct one for your car, you may have difficulty finding a dealer to do this.

You could try a Kenwood headunit (Skoda part number: ZGB 000 035 516 SKP) http://kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/skoda/DNX516DABS/ although it's expensive and I don't know if it supports OEM parking sensors, I believe it does. You would need to ask Skoda/Kenwood for more info.

Many thanks for the quick response, I have been in negotiation with the dealer who said it should be able to use car play. Where I am up to at present is they are agreeing at their own cost to replace the stereo as luck would have it they have written to me stating the car would before purchase. ( nothing like written evidence if you are unsure about anything) how ever their tech guys did not know and skoda seemed unable to help them as to if a new unit would work.

Now as Freedom has explained they can do it they just have to re code it - I assume that is all that would be required from what you say? They were unsure if any re wire would have to be done. I assume you have more knowledge than them and it's as I felt could only be a hardware issue in the unit itself. Could you think of any reason this could not be the case?

Also why is this code business so hush hush? For god sake it's only a stereo not the key for a nuclear missile launch? If I wanted to retro fit a stereo then I assume I could and would work in their favour buying a head unit from them? Or am I missing some point. Once again many thanks guys.

The previous generation of headunit (RNS) were and still are very widely stolen and resold, mostly as it was trivial with the right tools to extract the security code. Component Protection came in to help reduce this as a headunit is worthless if it won't work in other cars.

The part numbers for PQ MIB Amundsen's as fitted to the 2014+ Yeti are:

03.11.2014>> - 24.05.2015

- 5l0035680

- 5l0035680A

25.05.2015>> - 29.05.2016

- 5l0035680B

- 5l0035680C

30.05.2016>>

- 5l0035680D

- 5l0035680E

I believe the A, C and E revisions support DAB where the other 3 revisions don't. You probably have either 5l0035680 or 5l0035680A fitted but a dealer or member with VCDS can confirm. I'm not sure what changes the D/E revs bring over the B/C revs.

I'm pretty sure that all MIB headunits as fitted to the Yeti share the same connectors and physical size. It's more down to if the dealers computer system (ODIS) will allow the them to pair the new headunit to the car as it wasn't built with it. I've honestly no idea if it will as this it barely charted territory and I've not seen anyone find a dealer willing to attempt it.

• Like 1

the new carplay / andorid auto units are MIB II. In this system the "head unit" you see is just a screen, the main unit is hidden behind the glove compartment. 

If you have an MIB II then you can have car play enabled, if it is an MIB I unit then you cannot. 

the new carplay / andorid auto units are MIB II. In this system the "head unit" you see is just a screen, the main unit is hidden behind the glove compartment. 

If you have an MIB II then you can have car play enabled, if it is an MIB I unit then you cannot. 

MQB based cars such as the MK3 Octavia and MK3 Superb get a two part setup.

The current Yeti is on the older PQ platform which still gets a single piece headunit, newer versions of it do support carplay/android auto.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys , after some battle CarPlay works for those who need to know. Skoda new headset as stated above and had to be re configured with skoda to pair the new headset to the car. 

So so all wireing etc as freedom stated is correct. Thanks freedom your info was invaluable in getting this rectified. 

For or those wanting to go through this the key is finding a dealer with determination to succeed 

14 hours ago, peenut said:

Ok guys , after some battle CarPlay works for those who need to know. Skoda new headset as stated above and had to be re configured with skoda to pair the new headset to the car. 

So so all wireing etc as freedom stated is correct. Thanks freedom your info was invaluable in getting this rectified. 

For or those wanting to go through this the key is finding a dealer with determination to succeed 

And the forethought to get something important to you in writing at the time off purchase!  I suspect that without that they would have fallen back on denial and excuses.  As things were, and armed with information from this forum you had them over a barrel.  Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what people think of CarPlay?  I got it thrown in FOC when I bought my new Yeti last year.  I'm rather underwhelmed, not by the Skoda element but by the offerings from Apple and Android and the fact that no third party sat navs are available.

John

36 minutes ago, jst_at_home said:

I wonder what people think of CarPlay?  I got it thrown in FOC when I bought my new Yeti last year.  I'm rather underwhelmed, not by the Skoda element but by the offerings from Apple and Android and the fact that no third party sat navs are available.

John

Do Google maps not work?

10 hours ago, Urrell said:

Do Google maps not work?

Yes, Google maps work as do Apple Maps.  However in the case of Apple they only work if you're phone is connected to mobile network so if you lose the mobile network, you lose the map.  Also if you're in Europe, without an add on (or whatever your network offers) you lose the map.

Google is a bit better in that you can download map areas for off-line use.

However in both instances, you don't get things like speed limit notifications.  

I have both Sygic GPS Navigation and TomTom mobile on my Mobile.  Sygic says its Car Navigation product works through Android Auto but only with certain phones.

I guess it's early days in the products development.

John

Have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed by Car Play also.  First annoyance was being forced to turn on Siri which I suppose makes sense for in car use but I'd rather not have it enabled when not in the car, so now have to remember to turn on/off.  Second was the disappointment at the lack of car play apps, pretty much Apple Maps, Phone & Messages and Music if you use your phone for that (I dislike iTunes, so don't).  Third strike against was finding that Siri is utterly useless for me, I couldn't get it to perform any function reliably at all.  Far quicker and more accurate to use the touchscreen even if that means pulling over.

I found the voice function of the Amundsen to be better than Siri but still pretty poor - really don't know how people can be bothered, would need to improve massively before I'd consider it useable nevermind useful.

Don't have any Android devices, so not sure if Android Auto has more apps/is any better.

16 hours ago, goosander said:

Don't have any Android devices, so not sure if Android Auto has more apps/is any better.

No more apps, no better except that you can download sections of Google Maps for off-line use.

John

On 14/02/2017 at 00:48, goosander said:

Have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed by Car Play also.  First annoyance was being forced to turn on Siri which I suppose makes sense for in car use but I'd rather not have it enabled when not in the car, so now have to remember to turn on/off..

Out of interest, why don't you want Siri on out of the car?

I just don't like voice control much - feels odd talking to machines, don't like talking to answering machines either.  I accept it has its uses in some situations but for me I just can't get Siri to anything reliably and once it does the wrong thing it becomes even more frustrating to try and correct it.

May just be me though, my voice is pretty weak and gravelly as a result of several operations on the vocal chords when I was young, so probably gives problems for Siri.