Replacement car stereo

Hi all.

I've recently purchased a Skoda Otavia Ambiente 2001, 1.9 tdi and wish to change the stereo head unit as it is very antiquated.

If I disconnect the old head unit and fit a new one, will I encounter issues with the car not starting again as I have messed with

the coded radio and it might be connected to the engine management system.

I am wary about removing the current head unit as I may need a new code etc. to re-start the car, or should I be fine?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

The standard radio isn't coded into the cars engine or body control module, it has it's own 4 digit security code :)

If your fitting an aftermarket radio, just ensure, the GREY/WHITE wire on pin 3 of the BLACK plug, isn't connected to your aftermarket wiring, as this can kill the cars OBDll communication with the rest of the car

As above it'll all be fine. Once you choose a new head unit, there's plenty of harnesses around on Amazon and eBay that are plug to car harness, plug to stereo, go. It's pretty simple really, but as above make sure you get a harness that's OBDII compatible!

• 2 weeks later...

The standard radio isn't coded into the cars engine or body control module, it has it's own 4 digit security code :)

If your fitting an aftermarket radio, just ensure, the GREY/WHITE wire on pin 3 of the BLACK plug, isn't connected to your aftermarket wiring, as this can kill the cars OBDll communication with the rest of the car

The original radio does take it's code from the car though - after battery disconnection you do not need to re-input the code. However this shouldn't affect the fitting of an aftermarket unit

Agreed re OBDII

However - the aerial amp takes a power feed from the head unit so you'll need a special lead to power this - see:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405171-new-headunit-aerial-amplifier/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251309742089?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1153569288555&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Edited by bigjohn

The original radio does take it's code from the car though - after battery disconnection you do not need to re-input the code. However this shouldn't affect the fitting of an aftermarket unit

The OEM radio security code is derived totally within the radio, it has nothing to do with the car on a MK1