Traffic Sign Recognition - NZ

Has anyone tried to enable TRS in New Zealand? I've just tried on mine, all but the last coding (long coding in 17) is accepted, it comes up with an error coding 17, then when driving it says either "No data available for the area" or "No road signs available". 

I assume I don't need to be navigating anywhere for it to display road signs?

post-143076-0-28554400-1483950480_thumb.jpgpost-143076-0-54115800-1483950490_thumb.jpg

Edited by mabnz

My 230 Vrs had just had TSR turned on and it works a treat. You don't need the Sat nav on either it's displays all the time. You can also scroll with the right hand wheel on the MFSW to have a larger disply in the Maxidot.

Might be a daft question but have you actually passed a trafic sigh with it turned on. Mine gave the same  messages as yours but the car hadn't moved. You need to pass a TS and when you turn the Car off and next time you start the car the TS come back up. it remembers it

AG

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

My 230 Vrs had just had TSR turned on and it works a treat. You don't need the Sat nav on either it's displays all the time. You can also scroll with the right hand wheel on the MFSW to have a larger disply in the Maxidot.

Might be a daft question but have you actually passed a trafic sigh with it turned on. Mine gave the same  messages as yours but the car hadn't moved. You need to pass a TS and when you turn the Car off and next time you start the car the TS come back up. it remembers it

AG

Yeah I passed quite a few which it should have recognised but didn't.

What I reckon is that it needs to know what a sign looks like in order to recognise it (based on GPS location), and there are no road signs in the database for NZ. I wonder if anyone can confirm.

What I reckon is that it needs to know what a sign looks like in order to recognise it (based on GPS location), and there are no road signs in the database for NZ. I wonder if anyone can confirm.

Unless i've miss understood your last post the GPS location doesn't operate the TSR, it's the Lane assist camera. 

Drop Andyvee a PM you might have missed something.

Sounds like the same issue I had in Australia. The system knows where it can be used so refuses to work correctly. You can kind of get around it by making the system only use the cameras and not the Nav database as well. I started a thread in the Octavia forums on vwwatercooled.com.au a couple of months ago.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/traffic-sign-recognition-any-luck-enabling-115969.html

Also, I noticed in your first picture that you have 'Eco' in the maxidot. I've not seen that on mine. Does it only show Eco or does it also show the other driving modes? My RS only shows them in the top left of the main infotainment screen.

Edited by pjam73
  • Like 1

Also, I noticed in your first picture that you have 'Eco' in the maxidot. I've not seen that on mine. Does it only show Eco or does it also show the other driving modes? My RS only shows them in the top left of the main infotainment screen.

My RS shows Eco - but not the other driving modes.

The Eco symbol only displays when you are coasting and the DSG has disengaged.  If you are either on-throttle OR on-brake, the clutches engage again and the symbol disappears.

I suspect you've never noticed it display, if you don't "coast" too often?

My RS shows Eco - but not the other driving modes.

The Eco symbol only displays when you are coasting and the DSG has disengaged.  If you are either on-throttle OR on-brake, the clutches engage again and the symbol disappears.

I suspect you've never noticed it display, if you don't "coast" too often?

Ah. mine's a manual - I guess that's the difference.

• 2 months later...

Does Lane Assist have to be activated for the camera to see the signs?

I have followed the instructions and it won't recognise any signs in Australia.

Only had one event, when I was in a new industrial estate, where it suddenly showed a speed sign.

Same old "no data" message after a few metres back on the main road :(

I can confirm that it makes no difference, if the lane assist is activated or not.

All I need to test it now, is the code to change a value in Controller A5. Any help available?