Whose idea was it to put the MDI socket under the glovebox ...

Mr OCD

Daft!

Wife wants her iPhone in the phone mount on dash (next to steering wheel) and to be able to play music and charge the phone from the MDI socket.

Any ideas?

MDI to USB, then USB to lightening connector does not work.

MDI to old style apple connector works fine - no extension cable available though.

I'd rip the Skoda Swing Headunit out and put something else in but she doesn't want to spend £200-£300 to charge her phone and play music from it ... I see her point tbh.

So why can she control her phone from the steering wheel then? I don't see why you would need the phone mounted beside the steering wheel, unless it's used to text whilst driving.

I believe that the OP's wife wants to be able to see the phone screen while driving.

You can probably get a non genunine cable from eBay or Aliexpress that's long enough

The MDI was conceived before smartphones were common place - it was more designed as an iPod/MP3 player/ HDD dock rather than a phone interface. The idea is to put a HDD or USB stick or whatever in the slot and be able to leave it there out of site

• Like 1

I believe that the OP's wife wants to be able to see the phone screen while driving.

You can probably get a non genunine cable from eBay or Aliexpress that's long enough

The MDI was conceived before smartphones were common place - it was more designed as an iPod/MP3 player/ HDD dock rather than a phone interface. The idea is to put a HDD or USB stick or whatever in the slot and be able to leave it there out of site

Makes sense ... and yes it is so she has visibility of the screen in the event something happens to me (I'm a biker) or her father who has mobility problems at present.

God help us - will people never learn?

No different from looking at the radio / dashboard or sat nav is it. Edited by Mr OCD

I tried getting a 3rd party MDI to Lightning cable but it's useless apart from charging, just throws up constant errors on my 5S + on the HUD.

Same problem we have ... frustrating :)

I thought it was something to do with the MFi not allowing the MDI-Lightning cable to function since it's obviously not an official cable but even with my Jailbroken 5S with a tweak to bypass unofficial cables being rejected it still didn't do anything except charge so I just gave up on it all-together.

Edited by Skyl1n3