Do I stay or do I go .... ?

Scout PD 2008 has now completed 110k and it needs new tyres ..., and the Turbo is beginning to scream , but I still love the car .

Faults from new 1 drive shaft after 5k and a front spring at 105k , and that's it . Mainly long journeys , less than 5% of them were less than 30 miles .

Only Shell fuel and regular LL servicing , no body damage . My heart says keep since the next car could not be any more reliable , Briskoda tells my head that potentially there are many possible future problems .

What is your experience ?

Steve W

If the car is paid for and doesnt owe you anything. I would look at the cost of any repairs you need to do, against the value of the car. If they work out to be between a quarter or half the value I would look at getting a new/newer car. But then you are back to not knowing the car and bits might need replacing etc but if you buy from a garage you can haggle and get bits done before you collect the car.

• Like 1

IMHO If it were mine I would keep as you mention apart from a couple of problems it is reliable and you enjoy owning it.

Skoda is a marque I have owned for over 25 years and have owned many that have exceeded 150,000 miles with regular servicing and replacement of perishables.

Tyres are needed by every car owner. As for the turbo again wear and tear so get it fixed and continue to enjoy.

Otherwise someone else will benefit by owning it.

• Like 1

08 scout with 160k other than tyres, brake pads/discs the only fault has been the differential pressure sensor at 140k which cost £60. I've serviced it myself from 80k and it feels like it could go forever, nuff said. Only reason I'm thinking of changing I to get a TT V6 as a weekend car as I now have a Passat 2.0 CR SE business as a company car.

work this 1 out guys. A reconed turbo on my work car (2 liter bkd octivia) is 469.99. How ever a reconed turbo on the ford focus diesel is bout a grand!

Scout PD 2008 has now completed 110k and it needs new tyres ..., and the Turbo is beginning to scream , but I still love the car .

Faults from new 1 drive shaft after 5k and a front spring at 105k , and that's it . Mainly long journeys , less than 5% of them were less than 30 miles .

Only Shell fuel and regular LL servicing , no body damage . My heart says keep since the next car could not be any more reliable , Briskoda tells my head that potentially there are many possible future problems .

What is your experience ?

Steve W

Have you seen the prices of a new/nearly new scout !

unless your were looking at new or nearly new with skoda warranty you could get a whole load of problems from another car better the devil you know,

new tyres £350 for a set and a new turbo is about £500 but could last for a while with the siren noise. 

I'm staying !

And the reason is quite simple , because its a Skoda ! I was staying down in the Thames valley and noticed a nail in the edge of a tyre . Costco in Reading had a Michelin deal for All weather tyres so I bit the bullet and went to buy a set , since we also have a Yeti with same sized tyres so I was not yet committing myself to keeping the Octavia .

This was all very easy until , the locking nut key could not be found and I was 250 miles from home ! However being a half full kind of guy usually , I Googled Skoda and found Marshall Skoda of Reading who were brilliant and came up with a new set of wheel locking nuts and a key for £ 35 which were found by Andy Bridgewater who had noticed them in a bin about a year previously ( and he knew the part number ! ) . They were duly fitted and I was away in twenty minutes which was just as well because it was starting to snow .

How can you possibly leave a brand when you get service at that price from a garage late on a Friday afternoon ,when you are a complete stranger ?

So thanks Guys for all your advice .