coil packs for vrs

hi guys 

needing to replace my coil packs and one of the pack plugs on my 2.0t fsi vrs octavia.Now i know that the r8 coil packs are a great upgrade from good old 'awsome gti'. 

but on my usual browsing of the web i have found a company named ''benchmark performance'' that make there own vertion they claim that there designed from the ground up, but i have never seen or heard of them for vag cars i mean they look just like the r8 ones but blue. i have seen them before on nissan rb25, sr20, ca18 det.   

soo i am wondering, is there any better than the r8 coils? and has anyone tried them? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-CORDOBA-IBIZA-LEON-SKODA-OCTAVIA-Benchmark-Performance-Ignition-Coil-Packs-/201584255188?hash=item2eef5ba0d4:g:vMoAAOSw3ydVkEml

thanks for the help n advance

soo i am wondering, is there any better than the r8 coils? and has anyone tried them? 

I can't help you with the coil packs in the link but I have the Awesome R8 packs fitted.  I bought them as one of mine was on it's way out - I didn't know which one but there was a slight misfire under load in 5th & 6th gear.  I popped them on and everything has been fine since, so in my eyes they have done a great job.  It took less than 15 mins to change them all and that included a bit of faffing around on my part.

• Like 1

I can't help you with the coil packs in the link but I have the Awesome R8 packs fitted. I bought them as one of mine was on it's way out - I didn't know which one but there was a slight misfire under load in 5th & 6th gear. I popped them on and everything has been fine since, so in my eyes they have done a great job. It took less than 15 mins to change them all and that included a bit of faffing around on my part.

Right Yher I thought they where a bit of a random part. Better to ask first before disaster haha. Yes I think then the r8 ones are for me then. I noticed that they are £99 now a few months back I think they where £86. Not much but least I know its a good company.

• Like 1

Did you get the colipack recall work done? If you did I would just opt for std coilpacks.

Hey dude erm not sure Realy, the previous owners where not the most reliable for maitanance.(When I got the car at 76k it had never had a cambelt, fuel filter and had 2 rear stuck on brakes. The service book is empty besides 4 entry's and my latest ones.)

Any who back to the subject. It as far as I know hasent but it does have 3 original coilpacks and 1 of the earlier revised packs fitted.

And it does seam to misfire very ocationly underload. I have fitted new plugs so if I get some new packs it will fix that and the weird idle.

Fitted a set of Bosch coil packs 15k miles ago and been perfect since. Did not have any problem with the old original ones, so it was preventative maintenance really. I tend to be a bit fussy with my cars, or maybe I was just buying the car a present! Can't see the point of people wanting the pretty red ones when they are hidden by the plastic engine cover when you raise the bonnet. Mind you, I do polish up my engine bay. so if the red coils were visible, I would buy them myself just for added effect.

However, if they are going at a cheaper price than other quality coils, why not.

Fitted a set of Bosch coil packs 15k miles ago and been perfect since. Did not have any problem with the old original ones, so it was preventative maintenance really. I tend to be a bit fussy with my cars, or maybe I was just buying the car a present! Can't see the point of people wanting the pretty red ones when they are hidden by the plastic engine cover when you raise the bonnet. Mind you, I do polish up my engine bay. so if the red coils were visible, I would buy them myself just for added effect.

However, if they are going at a cheaper price than other quality coils, why not.

Yher mine is currently equipt with an engine cover. But it has a huge crack in it so will be going to a nee intake soon. So the red ones might look good

Can't see the point of people wanting the pretty red ones when they are hidden by the plastic engine cover when you raise the bonnet

I agree with you on this.  The only reason I bought them was I'd read a few threads about the fact that they coped better when the car was remapped.

Yher mine is currently equipt with an engine cover. But it has a huge crack in it so will be going to a nee intake soon. So the red ones might look good

Sounds like one of those previous owners wasn't too careful when taking the cover off at some point.  What intake are you thinking of getting?

Hey dude erm not sure Realy, the previous owners where not the most reliable for maitanance.(When I got the car at 76k it had never had a cambelt, fuel filter and had 2 rear stuck on brakes. The service book is empty besides 4 entry's and my latest ones.)

Any who back to the subject. It as far as I know hasent but it does have 3 original coilpacks and 1 of the earlier revised packs fitted.

And it does seam to misfire very ocationly underload. I have fitted new plugs so if I get some new packs it will fix that and the weird idle.

It might be worth finding out as the recall would replace old coilpacks free of charge.

I agree with you on this.  The only reason I bought them was I'd read a few threads about the fact that they coped better when the car was remapped.

Sounds like one of those previous owners wasn't too careful when taking the cover off at some point.  What intake are you thinking of getting?

yher the previouse owners didnt look after the car at all. had it for a year and have spent nearly £500 putting it right, ive only had it a year.

well to be honest mate ive noticed the good makes are hella exspensive for the compleate kit. i have some parts in my garage at home so all i realy need is the intake pipe and thats it. and i found 2 examples that are cheap and i can just use the pipe as i have a k&n cone filter in the garage and chuck out the cheap filter that comes with it.

i mean tell me what you think dude this is i would say my favorate ive found. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351936398335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

im probably going to get a lot of beef about this haha

cheers

• 1 year later...

sorry to revise an old thread I am just wondering what you misfire was like as my is missing between 1500 to 2500 then is fine. do I need to replace my coil packs or do packs and spark plugs as I am running denso ones from halfords

On 29/03/2018 at 18:14, octaviaprime said:

sorry to revise an old thread I am just wondering what you misfire was like as my is missing between 1500 to 2500 then is fine. do I need to replace my coil packs or do packs and spark plugs as I am running denso ones from halfords

Hello.  I'm not sure if it's my post you were referring to about the misfire but I'll describe the symptoms.

At the time the car was running a standard map and coil packs, the only modification at the time was a turbo back stainless system.  I think the coil packs were the originals and had done over 80k by the time they started to fail.

After the exhaust was done, I noticed a slight misfire when pulling away from lower revs in the top two gears,  It didn't happen anywhere else in the rev range and I had to try to make it happen by creating the situation.   

I had the car booked in for a custom map and didn't want things to fail on the rollers so after some research decided to go for the R8 coil packs.  It wasn't because they were red but because they were less likely to give me problems further down the line after the remap.  I put standard spark plugs in as I didn't find any evidence online to suggest they weren't up to the job.

The car has done a further 15k miles on them following the remap and they have worked as expected.  Maybe standard coil packs would have done the same but as far as I'm concerned, the red R8 versions were the right choice for my needs.

Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Edited by skinnyman

what mine feels like it looses power and someone suck the abs on for a bit. I can slightly feel it in 3rd but definitely in 4 5 6. you can see the rev counter slow down slightly and I here the whistle through the cone filter drop off a little then once past 25k she runs sweet.  being a misfire I would it expect it to be all over the show and more intermittent than always 15k to 25k