Creaky interior, whats acceptable?

Sorry this issue has been raised numerous times in the past but I was wondering if people were struggling with internal creaks and knocks? For me the issue is much worse when the dashboard is cold. I'm getting creaks and rattles all the time. Driving on rough roads sends me crazy with all the noises. I was speaking to a staff member at my local Skoda dealer the other day. He seemed to think the vehicle should not be as creaky as mine. Apparently his Monte Carlo makes no noises at all. How is everyone else getting on? I'm thinking of taking my car into the dealership but to be honest I think its just a combination of hard plastics and rock hard suspension thats the problem. Its a shame because the build quality is pretty good, but the noises I get from the dash do not fill me with confidence. 

18 minutes ago, MikeyMikeHolden said:

Sorry this issue has been raised numerous times in the past but I was wondering if people were struggling with internal creaks and knocks? For me the issue is much worse when the dashboard is cold. I'm getting creaks and rattles all the time. Driving on rough roads sends me crazy with all the noises. I was speaking to a staff member at my local Skoda dealer the other day. He seemed to think the vehicle should not be as creaky as mine. Apparently his Monte Carlo makes no noises at all. How is everyone else getting on? I'm thinking of taking my car into the dealership but to be honest I think its just a combination of hard plastics and rock hard suspension thats the problem. Its a shame because the build quality is pretty good, but the noises I get from the dash do not fill me with confidence. 

I've got an annoying B-pillar rattle that I'm having looked at. I also get a few clicks from the dash but only when going over some of the harder discontinuities in the road, but these are rare so I'm not bothered by it. Like yours, they're more obvious when cold -- it seems the plastics expand enough when warm to tighten things up.

(I have my own personal 'A380' test: the car mustn't rattle any more than the last BA Airbus A380 I rode in.)

Edited by ettlz

I'm just over a week into ownership of a used Fabia S and it's pretty good. I've only a few small rattles on very poor road service but that's about it and to be fair my last car (£40k worth of Merc) had rattles from various places over similar surfaces,

it feels quite well built. The rear doors sound a bit tinny when closed. About it.

Mine was rattling in warm/hot weather around the glove box area last year. I placed thin black felt strip around the inside edge of it which reduced it somewhat. I now put it down to a pipe behind the dash when the aircon is working hard. Quiet as a mouse at the moment.

Wait for a clever person to say 'switch the music up then'. Sometimes I don't want any sounds on in the car.

22 hours ago, Offski said:

How old and how many miles.

Why has your car got rock hard suspension, has someone left the transport blocks on the suspension?

Its about 10 months old and around 12000 miles. As you will be aware, the fabias suspension is hardly smooth!

22 hours ago, ettlz said:

I've got an annoying B-pillar rattle that I'm having looked at. I also get a few clicks from the dash but only when going over some of the harder discontinuities in the road, but these are rare so I'm not bothered by it. Like yours, they're more obvious when cold -- it seems the plastics expand enough when warm to tighten things up.

(I have my own personal 'A380' test: the car mustn't rattle any more than the last BA Airbus A380 I rode in.)

My B pillar is pretty clicky too. Unfortunately I live in rural North Yorkshire so the roads are often less than ideal!

The M1 southbound between Jn 18 and 17 has potholes in it that turn my Fabia into a boneshaker! Some minor creaks when hitting these.

i get some creaks when I put the heater on full blast, guess that's the dash heating up and expanding.

when rolling along on normal to worn country lanes I don't get any creaks.

Had zero rattles no matter what surface.

110 SEL Estate, 2 months old, 2,000 miles. Slight interior noises on start, quiet when warmed up. Considering interior is being lifted from just above zero degrees to say 21 degrees is something like 15 to 20 minutes and many "dissimilar materials" I would consider this to be quite acceptable for a vehicle at this price point.

Geoff.

Edited by macamx

Ours is the same. Usually creaks just to the right of the clock binnacle. Fine when warmed up. I put it down to plastics contracting slightly. Remember that the car will be assembled in an air conditioned factory at about 18-20°, so all the gaps will be set to be correct at that temp. When it's -1° outside I'd say a little creaking until all the gaps tighten up would be very normal. 

Edited by fzrkev