Fabia Combi 110 - 1st gear issue, 6-speed gearbox

Hi! Brand new forum member here..

I've recently purchased my first car, and at that, a Fabia Combi III, 110hp, 6-speed manual transmission. It's brand new, ~400km, driven off the dealer's lot a week ago. 

So far, I adore the car, and its incredibly precise gearbox... nothing vague or ambiguous about shifts. 

That said, when shifting from neutral into 1st, I've noticed some considerable variance in the feeling of this mechanical action. At times, the shift feels smooth and frictionless. At other times, when pushing the shifter 'up' from the right-most side of neutral *into* the 1st gear notch, it feels as if the shifter is grinding past something. It's not hard to make the shift, and isn't super forced, but it's definitely not 'smooth'. 

Is this normal? Something that's a function of a brand new engine and transmission that need to 'settle'? Or does it sound worthy of visit to the gatage...? Thanks! 

Welcome!

If it was me and from experience if something doesn't feel right then it's best to get it looked at, just in case damage is being done or there is a problem.

It will take time for the transmission to run in but usually it's not something that is hugely noticeable.

At least by having it looked at and logged it will be a foundation of proof should it become a problem later into ownership.

I don't have the 6 speed transmission but have owned many new cars and driven many new cars from being on the workshop floor as a motor vehicle technician. 

Good to hear your enjoying the rest of the car though!!

Edited by Pumatron
I really cannot spell.
  • Like 1

Ickshmaelwelcome to the site. An occasional stickiness or stiffness may be experienced during the initial running in period and is not something to be concerned about, yet. By all means tell you dealer but he will not be concerned unless it is really bad at this stage. He will want you to put more miles on the car before logging it as a fault. I would add that the gearbox is the last part of the engine transmission to actually run in. It can take several thousands of miles before this happens. So monitor it. Is it worse when the car is hot or cold? One other point. Often a symptom as you describe is not a gearbox issue at all. It's often the clutch dragging a bit, ie: the clutch disc slightly lazy on it's splined shaft and still kissing the flywheel at tickover. It's quite common and normally just goes away with more miles being put on the clock. Good luck and enjoy your car. Don't worry about stuff, but just monitor that slight anomaly at the present, that's what I would do. 

• Like 1

Hi Ickshmael. Welcome.  I bought a brand new Fabia in March 110ps with the six speed manual gearbox. All I i can say is I have never had any problems with gear engagement or any other problem with the gearbox, smooth and positive from day one. If this is bothering you then take it to your dealer and have a technician, NOT A SALES PERSON, try it out  The dealership owes you this. Hope they will put your mind at ease and you enjoy your car. 

• Like 1

Bought my wife a brand new VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL 6MT in August 2015, it initially did resist some gear changes, but higher up - maybe 3>4 or 5>6, but that seems to have disappeared over the initial 4 month period of ownership.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses... what a great community and forum! Very interesting, and helpful. 

Had a chance today to test the shifting behavior a bit more methodically. Here's what I found:

- the behavior seems largely independent of coolant and oil temp... maybe a hair smoother right at startup, but this seems negligible 

- More significantly...If I depress the clutch and immediately shift into 1st, I often get that rough sensation of notchiness, scraping past something, etc 

- When I depress the clutch, wait 2-3 seconds, and place the car into 1st, the shifting action is frictionless, positive, and perfectly smooth 

Any other thoughts or feedback based on the above...is this the behavior of brand new clutch, transmisson, etc??

Thanks! Booked a time a the dealer's for Thurs as a hold, just in case ;)

Yes, you have a lazy clutch. The clutch disc is a little stiff on it's splined shaft. Classic symptoms. Just take it a bit slower when selecting first gear, don't rush. The clutch should ease quite a bit over the next thousand miles. But I would mention it to your garage as you only get a 6 month warranty from new on a clutch. That way if it doesn't free up, then you can ask then to do something about it. 

• Like 1

I have to say that the TSI 110 engine is a gem and, after 11000 miles the engine and DSG combo is brilliant. Gearbox has learnt my style and will happily trickle along around town but...when it gets more urgent input...will kick-down and head for the redline before involving a higher gear. This is normal D mode, not Sport or 'Manual'. Not great for economy, mind, but life is for living.  Across the car's life to date it has averaged a measured 39.2 mpg with 46 as a best tankfull. I'm sure lots of people will think that is awful but I know I can improve it any time I want, but......nah.

As I have said before, "Baby Bear" so reminds me of my original Mk 1 Fabia vRS Tdi.  

For anyone still following this thread... any advice on breaking in the clutch? That is, is its 'stiffness' relieved purely as a function of KM on the car, or are certain types of KM's better than others (say, city driving with lots of clutch in/out, perhaps leaving clutch in at lights for more extended periods, etc)? 

Thanks again :)