Advice on buying a vrs

retro

Hi everyone, 

I have decided I want a modern diesel as I do about 300 miles a week and my 33 year old Volvo single carb is drinking petrol like it is running out of fashion.

I randomly did an insurance quote for a vrs fabia and it came out at £200 more a year than my Volvo (weird but I'm not complaining) so I was just wondering what are the main points to look out for?

Cambelt & waterpump need doing every 60k correct?

What about the clutch/DMF?

I quite like the look of this one but just wondered if anything is standing out as dodgy.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611149740802?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Diesel&sort=sponsored&price-to=2000&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=wr38ph&make=SKODA&model=FABIA&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.9&radius=1500&page=2

Thanks for any advice in advance I will appreciate it.

Unfortunately your link isn't coming up but, yeah, cambelt every 60k. Listen for a noisy turbo. Even if it is noisy, could go on for years. Good servicing with the correct oil is vital. Check for wet carpets especially in the rear as the door seals leak. Not really a big enough problem to put anyone off a good car. If the clutch feels nice, smooth and light and doesn't slip, should be fine. If the dmf is on the way out the car will have a shaky tick over. Listen for knocks from the suspension. They can go through bushes fairly quickly. They really are tough and the 130 PD engine is an absolute cracker. Most of them produce way more than 130bhp standard and are capable of huge reliable mileages.

Quick little cars with brilliant fuel consumption and great fun to drive. Get a remap and you'll have about 300lb/ft torque to play with. Only other things to look for are the same as any other car. Accident damage etc. Check rear arches for rust blisters behind the rear wheel just above the bumper line. If I think of anything else i'll stick it up.

Edited by numptie-boy
  • Like 2

Thank you for your advice, just what I needed!

I was told the dmf/clutch will last about 800 miles but I'm guessing if you drive normally then it will last a lot longer?

Strange about the link it works for me, it is a yellow 2003 vrs on autotrader for £1695 15k miles with full service history.

I assume the door strips were fitted to prevent any dings when opening doors. Practical, but not to my taste. 

Looks to have an arm rest fitted too, not a mk4 golf one, looks like an EBay one, which do get good reviews. Can't say I approve of the silver vents and single din surround/drawer, but for £1700 I think it is a good price. 

As mentioned above - the Fabia Sports seats are better than the standard vRS seats, next to no cleaning required, and much more subtle too (I don't suppose subtlety is an issue considering it is bright yellow!) 

Check for turbo/clutch replacement in the paper work. May give you room to haggle if they haven't been renewed, although I doubt they will budge much on price. 

JRJG 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jrjg said:

I assume the door strips were fitted to prevent any dings when opening doors. Practical, but not to my taste.

JRJG

I am looking at the wheel arches and not the doors - narrow strip of black, almost like golf GTI plastic arch extensions or something off a Fabia Scout.

Fabia Arches.jpg

Edited by KeithCheetham

Stupid auto correct I meant clutch lasts 80k miles not 800.

Also meant it has 153k miles... Samsung galaxy is a rubbish phone!

I don't like the rub strips so they will be removed if I get it.

I will definitely go through the paperwork to check for the cambelt, waterpump and clutch. 

1 hour ago, KeithCheetham said:

I am looking at the wheel arches and not the doors - narrow strip of black, almost like golf GTI plastic arch extensions or something off a Fabia Scout.

Fabia Arches.jpg

Ahh I didn't even notice those... Somehow!? 

I know what you mean yes, I would wonder if they were put on to hide any wheel arch rust... As those are notorious places for the first few spots of rust to appear... 

JRJG 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, retro said:

Stupid auto correct I meant clutch lasts 80k miles not 800.

Also meant it has 153k miles... Samsung galaxy is a rubbish phone!

I don't like the rub strips so they will be removed if I get it.

I will definitely go through the paperwork to check for the cambelt, waterpump and clutch. 

If driven properly the clutch and DMF will last a long time. My old vRS was on 125k and was on the original ones. 

Don't boot it in a high gear under 2/2.2k and it will prolong the life of them quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Not too bothered about rust, I am restoring a 1986 volvo and I'm doing an apprenticeship in classic vehicle restoration :)

Good news about the clutch then, I will phone them tomorrow morning then and organise a viewing.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

that's my old car. there was a small dent on one rear arch,(paint not broken.) the sills had just a bit of surface corrosion,so i used some stone chip paint after treating it with rust cure treatment. i owned it for about four years,one of the first things i had done,was a new luk flywheel and clutch,as the original had seen better days.had lots of other stuff done as well,did'nt really want to sell it,but in the end i part exchanged for a mk2 fabia vrs.hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shlobber said:

that's my old car. there was a small dent on one rear arch,(paint not broken.) the sills had just a bit of surface corrosion,so i used some stone chip paint after treating it with rust cure treatment. i owned it for about four years,one of the first things i had done,was a new luk flywheel and clutch,as the original had seen better days.had lots of other stuff done as well,did'nt really want to sell it,but in the end i part exchanged for a mk2 fabia vrs.hope this helps.

Oh nice one, do you remember the mileage when the clutch was done and did you get the cambelt and water pump done in your ownership?

Has it had any performance mods or is it standard in that respect?

1 hour ago, shlobber said:

Wonderful - I don't think Retro could of hoped for a better person to of replied! 

Great side to a forum, previous owners getting in touch! 

JRJG 

• Like 1

yes,i had the cambelt done when i first got the car,mileage was approx 110,000 miles.in my ownership,i also replaced front struts,console bushes,steering rack,amongst other things.i had it it on rolling road,which showed it has 169bhp,& 289ft lbs torque.certainly went well! i think previous owner must have had it remapped.i looked after the car,sad to see it go,but just wanted a change.if you did go to see it,you will see i kept all the invoices for the work i had done,and i think it wants for nothing.(not when i left it at the dealers,anyway!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shlobber said:

yes,i had the cambelt done when i first got the car,mileage was approx 110,000 miles.in my ownership,i also replaced front struts,console bushes,steering rack,amongst other things.i had it it on rolling road,which showed it has 169bhp,& 289ft lbs torque.certainly went well! i think previous owner must have had it remapped.i looked after the car,sad to see it go,but just wanted a change.if you did go to see it,you will see i kept all the invoices for the work i had done,and i think it wants for nothing.(not when i left it at the dealers,anyway!)

I think I may have found my car then! I will phone them later and just hope it hasn't been sold yet. Thanks for replying I'm sure ifor it is available it will be mine and I can assure you it will want for nothing. 

Hey Shlobber what were your impressions of the garage when you dealt with them? My first impressions are of mixed reviews. I phoned them and the car is available, I spoke to one man who just said wait a minute in an angry voice. He then handed me to another man who was polite and told me to phone before setting off in case it has sold as he doesn't want me to have a wasted journey.

yes,i'm afraid i'm usually a bit wary of secondhand car dealers,but these guys seemed to come across as pretty genuine.they were quite helpful generally.i believe they are a small family owned business.anyway,good luck if you go to look.

I'm going to look Saturday so we shall see then what they are like.

If I buy it do you know of anything that needs immediate attention that I can use to haggle?

I have looked at the MOT history and I can't see anything standing out as a big fault just wear and tear.

yes,it was mainly wear & tear things that i replaced.i do remember having it mot'ed the day before i part exchanged it.i think i changed oil and filter recently as well as the gearbox oil.  sorry,i honestly can't think of anything to barter with ,the only thing i could think of is the fact they have had it for quite a while.

• Like 1

I bought it :) it is like a rocket this thing!

After getting in to a disagreement with the jumped up jobs worth on the phone to my insurers I cancelled my old policy and managed to find a cheaper policy through a better insurance company I had actually heard off. How is a vrs cheaper to insure than a 33 year old volvo with 95hp?

great,glad it's gone to a good home,  hope it serves you well ,it was a bit like getting rid of a member of the family! .i was going to say,when i was looking through various insurance quotes for different cars.the fabia vrs always seemed to come out the cheapest.

• Like 1