how much weight

|Hi i have 4 concrete fence posts to move they are approx 45kg each so thats 180kg in total they're also 8ft i know they would be sticking out the back a bit i have a hatchback and folding seats down they may stick out about 2ft? will they be safe to carry and load be ok? i will bungee jump the boot lid down onto them and is back roads no potholes cheers

i read a meter is max out the back for police , insurance etc

I'd suggest tying them down, rather than using bungee/shock cord.

If they stick out, you might want to secure a hi-viz vest or something to the sticking-out end, so people behind can see it clearly.

• Like 1

You could fit them inside the car if you laid them onto the front passenger seat, although you will need to then secure them within the car and either be prepared for minor damage or do something (tarp?) to protect the interior. I've done this with very long bits of wood on short journeys with no issue. 

• Like 1

With that sort of weight I don't think they are liable to move about too much. Definitely +1 on tying them together though, use a small ratchet strap similar to the ones for lashing stuff to a roof rack/trailer, then as you say, a bungee to hold the boot lid down. As said, something hi vis on the end poking out the boot as well, and a blanket/towel or something where the boot lid will sit - don't want to damage the paint. I have an old duvet I use for this sort of thing, perfect for draping over the boot sill, and then wrapping over the top to protect the hatch.

Trying to find a photo of my old Octavia with two 16ft catamaran hulls inside the car!!! No joy yet tho....

Needed to move a Dart 16 a short distance without a trailer or roof rack so wedged them onto the dashboard and front seats (well wrapped in duvets - so +1 on the advice above) and they stuck out about 4 or 5 feet at the back. Total weight was about 120kg and it/they were fine, no damage but ratchet strapped down to the eyes in the boot and secured by the passenger seat belts in the front. 

We we now have a trailer and I wouldn't probably have done this if we had more than a few miles on quiet roads to cover.

Good luck on your move.

Thats not a massive weight really.

and even the size isnt mad. Slide the front passenger seat forward and wind it all the back with head rest out and youll easily fir them inside.

just shove a towel/thick blanket over the seats and uoholstery. I moved much worse around in my old bus :D

For comparison, an 8ft length of 600mm wide panel board will fit from on top of the dash, back iver the passenger seat (adjusted to suit as mid support) and onto the rear seat back/ parcel shelf with the hatch closed. And youll stack 5 of them like that. Just.... put some foam between the front and the windscreen.. (i didnt... thank god fir windscreen cover :))

Edited by mac11irl