Overheat dash warning - 2014 vrs CR

Phoned dealer, they are going to check and get back to me, but they confirmed the price they quoted for the water pump (with 50% discount) was £247 and the cambelt kit on top is another £197, so at least I know I didn't get the wrong end of the stick yesterday.

The waterpump only is £494.50 (which they will then half with the warranty and then add on £197 for the cambelt) which is more expensive than walking in off the street for a cambelt and waterpump (£485).   Guess they hope that no ones checks the numbers when they come up with the prices!

Edited by mbames

2 hours ago, mbames said:

Phoned dealer, they are going to check and get back to me, but they confirmed the price they quoted for the water pump (with 50% discount) was £247 and the cambelt kit on top is another £197, so at least I know I didn't get the wrong end of the stick yesterday.

The waterpump only is £494.50 (which they will then half with the warranty and then add on £197 for the cambelt) which is more expensive than walking in off the street for a cambelt and waterpump (£485).   Guess they hope that no ones checks the numbers when they come up with the prices!

That's bullsh*t as the skoda website and the VW one quote 485/484 for a cambelt, tensioners etc and a waterpump change.

Should I ask which dealer it's at or is it going to the one where I'm not surprised?

I'd be asking skoda why the dealer can't stick to fixed price serving and is making it up.

To be honest I'd be getting the car taken to another garage at this point.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

The dealer says the "fixed price service" costs are the cheapest they can do, but these prices don't apply when they do warranty work.  They say the best price they can do it for is £445 (belt & pump), so a slight saving over the servicing price, but makes a mockery of the warranty aspect.  Service Manager is out today, but back in tomorrow, so I'll see him at 8.00am.

It is at a dealer in south Somerset currently.

Wow, jokers!

Did you buy the car from a dealer or private seller? If it was a dealer is it the one the car's currently at or some other one? If you didn't buy it from this main dealer then you don't have any consumer rights with Skoda or main dealer directly, only with whoever you bought it from.

I bought it from a car sales place (primarily VAG, but not 100%) just over the bridge in Wales (so a bit of a pain to return to).  Are you saying that Skoda warranty's are only valid with the initial owner of the vehicle, and not transferable to subsequent owners?  If so, I never knew that.

Sad thing is with all of this is when I booked it in with the main dealer that told me it would be covered 100% by warranty (they knew the age and miles), otherwise I'd have taken it back to the supplying sales place.  Obviously that was only a verbal conservation, nothing is written down, so I can't prove that :-(

SKODA UK would not be making a 'Gesture' or a 'Goodwill Payment'  just paying for the Fundamental Design or Manufacturing / Materials Failing and lack of Quality Control.

'Charlotte' needs to get a Senior Communications Manager to get on with approving them doing what they need to do and approve the replacement at SKODA UK's expense.

Try giving Carrs of Bridgewater a call, they seemed to be sensible about the servicing cost.

I'd certainly take the car elsewhere though, as it's a complete joke that the dealer is trying this.

They're charging you full price minus the water pump (or so it seems to me).

The 484 is a fixed price, not a best price and they're absolutely taking the p*ss out of you.

Next step would be to mention it's a manufacturing defect IMHO and talking to the supplying garage.

Also the mileage was below 60k when you first noticed and reported it no?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Also the mileage was below 60k when you first noticed and reported it no?

Mileage was at 62k when I first noticed it and booked it in (mentioned when booking in).

http://www.heritageskoda.co.uk/special-offers/service/fixed-price-servicing/

The T&Cs makes interesting reading:

Prices offered in our Fixed price servicing offer are the maximum selling prices. ŠKODA Authorised Repairers are free to offer prices lower than this offer.

This offer applies to vehicles following a fixed servicing regime only. Customers whose vehicles are on a flexible servicing regime can ask their participating ŠKODA Authorised Repairer about changing over to a fixed servicing regime if they believe this will better suit their needs. 

For SKODA vehicles 3 years (from first MOT) up to 10 years old, excluding V6 models. Fixed price servicing is available to customers at participating SKODA retailers only. All prices are (where applicable) inclusive of standard parts, labour, oil and VAT and come with a two-year parts and labour warranty. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be varied or withdrawn at any time. Further terms and conditions apply, please ask your SKODA retailer for details.

Basically the fixed prices only come into play once the warranty has expired, so prior to that you are at the mercy of the dealer and what ever cost they pick out of the air...

Just out of interest I have phoned SUK again, and spoken to someone else (Gemma?) and she seems to be some what more attentive, but has re-iterated that any discount is from the dealer and that Skoda UK will wash their hands of the warranty aspect as I am over the 60k, regardless of the fault being caused by a poor design, Quality Control or anything else.  She is, however, going to phone the dealer and see if there is an room for movement.

Edited by mbames

I was meant to be collecting my car tomorrow morning, but the Dealer phoned at 1830 (full marks for working late) to say that due to a Skoda IT issue they can't release my car as the Skoda Computer system isn't working so they can't connect my car up to report back to Money-Central about what work has been done.  One fail after another.

The conversation started with "We've got some bad news....", I thought they were going to say they'd crashed it :D, so an IT glitch is only minor.  Hopefully it might give me a bit more bargaining power.  If not, it will make the overall write up even more of an embarrassment for Skoda "car held hostage due to Skoda IT system failure"

SUK say any contributions are made by the dealer (since the start of 2015), but it seems the dealer has to get it approved by SUK who then say no.  I can see there little movement here, the dealer has knocked their expensive price in half, but I think there is still someway to go.  When I spoke to Carrs of Bridgwater I asked them "who footed the contribution - dealer or SUK", the guy wasn't sure, but I can't imagine it would be the dealer (otherwise it would affect their bottom line every time Skoda knackered up the design of something.

This experience certainly has been a learning curve, hopefully the dealer will come out of smelling of valentines day roses, while SUK can end up in the manure bed....

On 14/02/2017 at 15:08, mbames said:

I bought it from a car sales place (primarily VAG, but not 100%) just over the bridge in Wales (so a bit of a pain to return to).  Are you saying that Skoda warranty's are only valid with the initial owner of the vehicle, and not transferable to subsequent owners?  If so, I never knew that.

No - warranty is separate (and in addition to) your consumer rights. AFAIK new car warranties generally are transferable to a new owner.

On 14/02/2017 at 17:54, cheezemonkhai said:

I hate to point this out to skoda, but the sales of goods act means they can't wash their hands.

Not quite. The OP has a warranty with Skoda (3years/60k?), but NOT any consumer rights from the original sale of the vehicle.

The OP's consumer rights are with the dealer he bought the car from and as the OP bought it about 6 months ago it will be the Consumer Rights Act that applies, not the SoGA.

Has the car been repaired or put back together with the broken water pump?

Side note - do you guys find these Skoda IT glitches common?

Before I picked the car up it was going to get an update, the dealer took it to the Skoda main dealer but they weren't able to update it due to IT glitches.

I picked it up and arranged to get this done afterwards, then they said there was a DSG update, but they weren't able to do it the same day due to further IT glitches.

Are the Skoda IT systems up to spec??

Still better than what happened to my focus. Ford issued an ECU update that basically borked any car it was applied to (including my Focus). The garage had to get Ford Technicians out to get the cars going again.

Evidently they had a garage full of cars and vas that were going nowhere.

It is my understanding the car has been put back together with a new water pump.  The "Skoda IT Glitch" is still ongoing, and as a result my car has been held hostage at the dealers since Tuesday.  Well that, or they have crashed it and are desperately trying to buy some time to fix it.

At least SUK phoned me today, so I there is still potential for a bit more of a saving, however SUK claim the water pump design is fine and there are no issues with it...   Meanwhile, zero update from the dealer (last I heard from them was on Wednesday mid morning saying they'd phone me with an update later that day).

Hmm. Given that the water pump design has since been revised, that it is also a known problem with dealers, it is clear that the design is not fine. Push them some more.

When I contacted my dealer about the problem, I had a call with them basically along the lines of

Dealer - Does the problem happen 5-10 minutes into driving and having driven uphill

Me - Now that you mention it, yes.

Dealer - That will be the waterpump then. No problem replacing it under warranty.

16 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

Hmm. Given that the water pump design has since been revised, that it is also a known problem with dealers, it is clear that the design is not fine. Push them some more.

When I contacted my dealer about the problem, I had a call with them basically along the lines of

Dealer - Does the problem happen 5-10 minutes into driving and having driven uphill

Me - Now that you mention it, yes.

Dealer - That will be the waterpump then. No problem replacing it under warranty.

That is exactly the conditions which triggered mine - a steep hill at slowish speeds (20-30).

SUK current stance, which they refuse to budge from:

• Water pump design is fine
  • Car is out of warranty
  • Water pumps may only last 62k, but that is hard luck, you may need to replace it twice before you then do a cambelt and water pump change
  • Any-good gesture will will come from the dealer and not SUK (as of Jan 2015, iirc)

However, that said, the lady from SUK I spoke to yesterday (after raising it via facebook) said she would speak to the dealer again.  That was yesterday lunchtime.  I've not heard anything back from either yet.  Along with their continuing IT issues, I'm not sure I will even get my car back this week - 7 days without my car for a water pump change.

On 13 February 2017 at 15:23, mbames said:

Dealer has just phoned, apparently after they assured me they had all the necessary parts in (given it was booked in 2 weeks ago), they don't so I'm stuck with a citygo for a few more days.

Matt, when the water pump failed on my mk2 last autumn I had a similar run around with "not all the parts are in / wrong parts etc" but when I spoke to one of the techs there he said they were very busy with new car pdi and getting demo cars ready for sale. Took six days inc one weekend. What speeded things up was when I told them I was going to put over 200 miles on the courtesy car the next day. Not the same dealer as yours but still a main Skoda garage. Apart from this issue I still think this garage is one of the better ones!

Mike

Just had a call, mine is now ready to collect.  I've been added 120 miles to the citigo each time I've driven it!  You'll have to tell me which Witshire dealer you use - I was considering the one in Salisbury and then getting a lift to work from a colleague, but I would have been stuck in the office for a week had been the case!!

Further update - the dealer has called me (after the last SUK lady phoned him).  The cost to me is now just the cambelt kit, with the dealer covering the water pump, fitting and the cambelt tension-ing, etc.  They have also replaced the battery in my keyfob which was getting a bit flat too.

All in all a great result for me, but not so much for the garage as they fitted the cambelt and have no money for the labour (it seems that SUK have told the dealer to absorb the cost, so I do feel a bit bad about that).

It did take a lot of contact though:

• Phoned SUK Customer services (Monday - Charlotte) - 'nothing we can do'
  • Phoned SUK Customer services (Tuesday - Gemma) - 'I'll speak to the dealer', which resulted in a cheaper price
  • Facebook message (on Tuesday night), which resulted in a phone call yesterday (Beth) and this was the final push for the latest offer.

Shall hopefully be collecting it tomorrow mid-morning :-)

Edited by mbames

Main dealers have ways and means, they'll probably write it off as a "training cost" or similar.

Good result for you albeit with the cambelt kit cost.

I'm on to Skoda facebook trying to get them to answer why their IT systems have been so flaky for software updates.

Edited by WillM82

4 minutes ago, WillM82 said:

Main dealers have ways and means, they'll probably write it off as a "training cost" or similar.

Good result for you albeit with the cambelt kit cost.

I'm on to Skoda facebook trying to get them to answer why their IT systems have been so flaky for software updates.

It seemed that the issue my dealer had was that "their" computer was broken, rather than the HQ end of things.

2 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

Really happy your persistence paid off.

Me too, even if I was a bit outside of warranty my argument was that 62k out of a waterpump isn't acceptable.  I was a bit like a dog with a bone, plus I had nothing to lose, get stiffed for a massive bill, or get them to pay.  I was quite honest with SUK and said I didn't believe that I should pay for the water pump (but did also mention that I had asked for the cambelt kit to be supplied as the dealer said they do that under the warranty bit - to start with).

Not sure the dealer will answer the phone to me in the future though, or all conversations will be immediately routed to the service manager :D

The waterpump has a design fault, so it would have been bonkers to make you pay.

Just because the dealer footed the costs, it wouldn't surprise me if there is some other claimback route on the labour time, such as a budget fund allocated by skoda for something appropriate.

Anyway all in a good result and the cost of the cambelt kit is reasonable to pay as it wasn't strictly required, but has also saved you a larger bill in the future (or year 4 depending who you believe).

Edited by cheezemonkhai