Carwow's surprising 0-62 test result

Fascinating (& amusing) footage but I'm not convinced it tells us much. Relying on the car's speedo for '0-60' is probably an indication of what the 0-55 times are.

Can't understand why the alternative to a 1.4 TSI always has to be the 2.0 TDI. 2.0 TSI shouldn't be off anyone's radar IMHO.

The EA888 engine should be bullet-proof in this state of tune and, in my (possibly ill-informed) opinion, ought to offer the following benefits:

• Extra power on hand for those very rare occasions when you actually need it
  • Possibly more economical in the real world for the typical (if there is such a thing) driver, compared to the 1.4, whatever the official results say. Numerous motoring journalists suggest that the days are numbered for small turbo-charged engines once real-world testing standards kick in.
  • Lurvly fast cabin warm-up - could maybe offset the cost of a heated windscreen against the extra cost of the 2.0???? That would be nice as I really don't like that reflective gold look of the heated screen.

Be interested to hear the views of the better-informed/educated.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skoda Al Coda said:

Can't understand why the alternative to a 1.4 TSI always has to be the 2.0 TDI. 2.0 TSI shouldn't be off anyone's radar IMHO.

The EA888 engine should be bullet-proof in this state of tune and, in my (possibly ill-informed) opinion, ought to offer the following benefits:

• Extra power on hand for those very rare occasions when you actually need it
  • Possibly more economical in the real world for the typical (if there is such a thing) driver, compared to the 1.4, whatever the official results say. Numerous motoring journalists suggest that the days are numbered for small turbo-charged engines once real-world testing standards kick in.
  • Lurvly fast cabin warm-up - could maybe offset the cost of a heated windscreen against the extra cost of the 2.0???? That would be nice as I really don't like that reflective gold look of the heated screen.

I concur :)

Thinking about trading my Octy vRS for one, will certainly be a 2.0 petrol DSG if I do.

What do you mean about the screen ? I was thinking of going for a heated screen, I didn't realise they were slightly coloured, any pics ?

16 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

What do you mean about the screen ? I was thinking of going for a heated screen, I didn't realise they were slightly coloured, any pics ?

Well, 1st thing I should 'fess up to is that this is my totally unqualified jumping to conclusions. The following video shows, right from the start, the reflective screen. My assumption that it's down to the heated screen may be completely wrong - sincere apologies if I'm leading you up the garden path:

Its probably got the metal film heated windscreen as used in the Superb (no visible wires) in certain light conditions the windscreen look Polarised.

5 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Thinking about trading my Octy vRS for one, will certainly be a 2.0 petrol DSG if I do.

In an attempt to get some idea of the performance of the Kodiaq, my wife & I have driven the current Tiguan with the same (new 180 ps) 2.0 TSi & 7 speed DSG.

Our considered opinion is that it's not a lot of fun, (it's much smoother & quieter than the 190 ps diesel which we also tried) but there's not much punch on the road

& that's when comparing to my 2012 Superb 2.0 TSi with it's 6-speed DSG. A quick peek at the long-term fuel consumption on the petrol Tiggy = 25mpg, which is at least 10 mpg worse than our Superb.

The engine is probably software limited to 180 ps (from 4k - 6k rpms), maybe for better emissions figures, but it's feels underpowered to us.

'Tis almost certain that a 3rd party remap could result in 220 ps or more, but there might be warranty issues......

i'm leaning towards a used Superb 28o if / when we decide to replace the old girl, at least there will be some performance to justify the fuel bills!

DC

• Like 1

Looks like an acceptable 0-62 for something with a Kerb Weight around 1,500 kg, and no doubt some will try the Traffic Light Grand Prix.

As to the 50-70 mph times with driver or loaded those are pathetic and why the New Skoda Kodiaq's might be up many others jacksy looking menacing 

with no actual ability to safely pass on roads with single carriageways.  

So very Audi / VW. (eg Audi Ultra VW r-style and others, all the show and little actual go.)

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

& 100 ron or even 102 ron fuel in the tank...

Not that many reviewers ever put vehicles they get handed over on a weigh bridge, or even check the tyres and pressures.

Too often the Spec from a Media Pack is in the articles and then gets repeated for years to come by various 'Journalists'.

Any comment by any recently on noise from the steering or is that sorted out now for the production models?

Audi A4 has 2.0 TSI with 190 HP and 252 HP. You know which engine goes to golf R, superb 280 HP and leon cupra and passat. Could this be the same engine, just other maps? Also A6 has 2.0 TSI 252 HP. Does this mean you can tune this engin from kodaq to 300 HP on stage 1?

You can do many things as it is your car and you just accept that the Manufacturers Warranty will probably be invalidated as you are running 

Non Factory Approved Engine Management.

The Video is about a 1.4TSI and a journalists testing of a Pre-Production or Media Department test vehicle.

As soon as they are available for the public to buy then owners can see just what they do.

Little point comparing something not yet available with already on sale Volkswagens or Euro 5 Emission Skodas.

I see what you mean about the front screen now you mention it Skoda Al Coda.

You may be correct if the Superb has the same effect.

As for the 0-60 I think ANY review should always be taken with a pinch of salt, regardless the car is designed as a comfortable SUV, so performance is not the target, and 0-60 are pretty irrelevant anyways IMO.

I applaud Skoda for offering a mid sized petrol option, something a lot of the rivals in this price and segment do not.

I know what a peach the 2l motor is, and as the torque figures quoted are only 20 nm down on the 2l diesel, with nicer spread of power, I think it will be substantially better than the 1.4l 50 -70 !

A test drive and good look around when they eventually arrive will soon reveal if that's the case :)

Edited by Mr Grump

21 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

We currently have 2 heated screens and I've never noticed any "colour".

I think it's just reflection in the photos that can happen sometimes in sunshine.

As the 1.4 DSG is using the wet clutch DQ250 transmission there's certainly scope for more performance without troubling the torque limits.  Maybe it's running a bit more boost,  or Skoda are sandbagging the figures a bit to encourage buyers into the larger more expensive engines.

Curious to note that he mentions a 7-speed DSG,  but the 1.4 is only a 6 speed DSG.  A slip of the tongue, or was he actually in the 2.0 TSI ?   

Interesting !

18 minutes ago, romanv said:

So all engines with DSG are using wet clutch?

Well,  I was sure I read a press release that mentioned the DQ250 for the 1.4,  but the spec sheet I can find now suggests that it's a dry clutch on both the petrol models:  

http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/news/SKODA-KODIAQ-technical-data-petrol-16-09-01.pdf

The SEAT ateca sister car uses a dry 7-speed on the 2WD,  but the DQ250 wet clutch on the 4x4 

http://deluxe.com.mk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ateca-katalog.pdf

Im more confused now :)

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

We currently have 2 heated screens and I've never noticed any "colour".

I think it's just reflection in the photos that can happen sometimes in sunshine.

Nope, your heated screens have the visible metal wires in them, the Superb and Kodiaq use a metal film which gives the strange colour from the outside.

7 minutes ago, Offski said:

kotlewm, 

The link you have with the spec does not suggest it shows the 1.4tsi 110kW 2 & AWD Autos as 6 speed, so wet clutch.

Actually it does,  the spec sheet linked specifically states "two coaxial dry multiple-disk clutch, electro-hydraulically operated".    I reckon it must be a typical Skoda typo :) .  As I'm not aware of a 6-speed dry clutch gearbox variant I agree with you that it must be the wet clutch.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

A test drive and good look around when they eventually arrive will soon reveal if that's the case :)

I've recently test-driven an A4. Be forewarned that the 2.0 TSI feels quite weedy (for a 2.0) when driven gently (hence my comments about potential economy day-to-day). It has variable valve-lift, so you have to give it the beans to feel the full power (so yes, very nice 50-70 if you floor it ).

5 hours ago, djordje48 said:

Audi A4 has 2.0 TSI with 190 HP and 252 HP. You know which engine goes to golf R, superb 280 HP and leon cupra and passat. Could this be the same engine, just other maps? Also A6 has 2.0 TSI 252 HP. Does this mean you can tune this engin from kodaq to 300 HP on stage 1?

300 HP? Pah!

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/r400

• Like 1