MFD Scroll Wheel on the steering broken

Hi All, MFD scroll wheel in my octavia is broken. I am not heavy handed. The plastic around the wheel seems brittle and didn't withstand normal use. Skoda Australia doesn't want to cover this under warranty. Dealer quoted 750 AUD to replace it. This is outrageous considering the car is only two years old. Has anyone had similar issue with the scroll wheel? Thanks.

crack.jpg

Thanks @cheezemonkhai and @tubbytommy. I am not familiar with this type of work. I'll ask a VW mechanic if he could do it for me. Can someone post the replacement instructions? It would be very helpful. Is this a common occurrence in Octavia? 

Edited by Sak

2 hours ago, Sak said:

Thanks @cheezemonkhai and @tubbytommy. I am not familiar with this type of work. I'll ask a VW mechanic if he could do it for me. Can someone post the replacement instructions? It would be very helpful. Is this a common occurrence in Octavia? 

you simply remove the airbag and then undo the electrical multiplug for the switches.

the piano black trim that houses the switches simply pulls off and once removed the switches are screwed to the trim.

as for part nos, if you have dsg you need  5E0 919 719B if you dont have dsg you can use either  5E0 919 719A or  5E0 919 719B.

the job is simple but if you are unsure it takes 30 mins maximum to remove,swap trim and refit so wont cost a lot.

Hi,

I had the same on my 2014 Octavia, I got it repaired under warranty. Initially they said it wouldn't be covered and told me that it would be about £500 to fix. After they told me the price I said I would push to get it repaired under warranty and they sent photos to Skoda and the next thing I knew the dealership was calling up to book it in.

Kind Regards,

Barnaby

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Octavia Mk3 and after buying it, realised it had this same issue.

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with 3rd party parts such as this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Skoda-octavia-Fabia-multifunction-steering-wheel-buttons-5E0-919-719-A/32911587801.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.1.3dd7513457cYV9&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.128125.0&scm_id=1007.13338.128125.0&scm-url=1007.13338.128125.0&pvid=937fe9b5-50d0-4393-9d0a-d8e137c26c20

Genuine ones in Australia are about $300 where these are about $100AU.

Cheers,

Simon