Long term ownership 1.9 tdi estate

Hi all,

basically having read many reviews, comments and most recently the " positive " thread, I would like to know how many have changed there suspension components and at what sort of mileage ( mine has recently developed a knocking on the suspension and become quite a bit wallowy if that's the right word, I can't see anything obvious ( just hit approx 75k ) 

Having racked up just over 100,000m, the only suspension that has been changed are two rear springs. One because part of the coil snapped off and caused an intermittent knocking, the other was replaced as a matter of common sense as both springs on the same axle should be replaced at the same time. That was at about 85,000m. Currently researching as to upgrading / replacing the full system on all corners. Not looking to lower but to replace with a possible upgrade, possibly a bit firmer  but thats about all. There are a lot of aftermarket kits about, most lower at least 20mm. It all depends on what ride you want. 

The 'wallowy feel' you mention could be the console bushes, but this should show on an mot.

I had to get mine replaced, but circa 120k miles. I cannot see anything else in it's service log regarding suspension.

It depends way more on how the car has been treated / driven, than how many miles it has done.

It may have had a hard life and driven over many speed humps, or not.

I would get a garage to check it out first so as not to waste money on something it didn't need.

Edited by Tilt

Hi, thanks for your input, in answer to points raised, I've had car since 49k ( July '14 ) not obviously had a hard life before me definitely not since, I'll have a word with local garage to give it the once over, fortunately I trust them 100% but it's always handy to be forewarned of any ' known ' issues

Consoles a weak point on VAG group. Had them upgradedto the lesser voided cupra ones on mine. Definitely  sharpened up the front end hardly any nose dip with heavy braking on the motorway. 

Other than rear shocks on mine 30-211k was a tow car I think pre 30k. No other suspension parts. That's not to say a new set of shocks or anything else would certainly make it handle better without doubt. 

As stated in my other post....my car failed its MOT in December due to 3 cracked coil springs (damaged by road craters hidden by water I think). I had to have them + unbroken spring replaced & did as advised and had drop links etc replaced as well. Done at Skoda dealership for over £900. Mileage then was just over 90,000 mls. Early last year I had to have a bump stop replaced - it wasn't cheap either (around £120 I think).

I've got a 56 plate 1.9tdi with 125k miles on the clock and it's been a cracking car during my seven years of ownership. In answer to your question, I had to replace both of the front suspension coil springs recently after one of them snapped. I actually heard it go whilst I was washing the car. 

Aside from that, I've not had any other issues with regards to the suspension. 

once again thanks for the replies, my conclusion would be that me reading posts where cars have clocked up 100k plus miles or more without major issues, suspension parts aren't considered ' major issues ' so I'm not unduly worried about mine ( there is always a nag that the miles on any pre owned car could be falsified, especially with the 2 year service option nowadays ) 

I've had a word with the local independent garage and they are going to put the car up on a ramp to check what I can't see as well as do a test drive as and when we both get some spare time, MOT will show up any major issues if it doesn't get checked before I expect

Edited by davidwhite

Once again Mike, many thanks for your kind offer, I WILL take you up on it at some point, got a few issues at the moment hence unless I find out otherwise the car (s) aren't top priority, maybe in a couple of months if that's ok with you, cheers

I might need the performance of my car looked at if you can get to Kirkbymoorside from yours in 25 minutes !! mind you if I drove it like I stole it it would probably benefit the car as it only gets a decent run out rarely, hence lowish mileage

Skoda suspension is generally a bit soft, I changed at 120.000km the rear to Sachs shocks HD and new springs HD for a car with tow hook. And at the front I changed only the shocks to HD Sachs. Much better since then. Now I changed the front rear bushes to full rubber Audi TT bushes. 

28219571jx.jpg

28219572jv.jpg

28219583ur.jpg

28219610uv.jpg

28219611xv.jpg

Edited by 0ctavist