New Skoda Superb Owner... great car..... but a few niggles

New member,  great forum!!

Got a Superb L&K Estate DSG 190 a few weeks ago, nearly new with a few hundred miles on it.

Love the car, it's brilliant.  The interior is stunning and all the gadgets are excellent. Really happy with the drive,  the DSG box and the mpg.  Space is phenomenal and it's extremely comfortable.   

As always though there are a few niggles:

The fogging headlights which seems to be a common thing and has been widely discussed on here i see.  Hoping it goes away in time esp as the weather gets better.

The roller cover in the boot seems a bit stiff and doesn't "roll" back very well.  Will take it out and try to loosen it.  This a common issue?

A few small rattles in the cabin but I'd expect that with 19 inch alloys and crap UK roads.  Runs beautifully on decent motorway roads.  The comfort setting helps this but it is a bit floaty.  Sport mode is great btw, esp on country roads.

The slightest intermittent suspension knock when going over speed bumps.  Again been dealt with on another thread but only occurs with mine very occasionally and when it's very cold.

Main one at the moment though is the wipers.

My front wipers don't clear the screen particularly well.  Especially on the drivers side, they leave streaks and lines, right in my eyeline!  

I've cleaned the windscreen and the wiper blades but they still do it.  The blades seem a bit "floppy" and not of the best quality. Dont see a brand name on them, so now considering replacement with decent blades, but this is disappointing on such a new car! 

Anyone else had this issue?

Welcome to the forum. Just a bit of input for the wipers and nozzles.

Replacing the nozzles with the spread pattern ones from the Passat helps as the water covers more of the screen.

I ordered a pair from Amazon for just a few pounds, totally worth it IMO (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X7D4QO8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

You can also get better wipers but try the new nozzles first as a cheap fix.

fit bosch wipers. the wipers on mine are just fantastic :D

plenty of threads on cabin noise including a detailed one from me on the passenger vent squeak if yous earch.

watch out for the bolster on the drivers seat. I think that the studs on my jeans have worn the ( leather?) through, lord knows what you would do to stop it though.

I have never had fogged up lights but I strongly urge you to run them as much as possible to warm the lamps up and dispel the moisture before it marks the reflectors.

the tonneau cover may ease up with use or could have something caught in it?

Also watch out for flat battery after using heated seats. A jump starter is essential for this car.

21 minutes ago, micloi said:

Welcome to the forum. Just a bit of input for the wipers and nozzles.

Replacing the nozzles with the spread pattern ones from the Passat helps as the water covers more of the screen.

I ordered a pair from Amazon for just a few pounds, totally worth it IMO (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X7D4QO8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

You can also get better wipers but try the new nozzles first as a cheap fix.

Thanks mikloi

Will look into the nozzles but this issue happens when its raining, even when the washer nozzles aren't used.  It's worse in light rain, the wiper streaks seem more pronounced.   

The effect is of worn wiper blades that need replaced.   But the car has only done 2k miles.  

Edited by Mickey43

39 minutes ago, superbdreams said:

fit bosch wipers. the wipers on mine are just fantastic :D

plenty of threads on cabin noise including a detailed one from me on the passenger vent squeak if yous earch.

watch out for the bolster on the drivers seat. I think that the studs on my jeans have worn the ( leather?) through, lord knows what you would do to stop it though.

I have never had fogged up lights but I strongly urge you to run them as much as possible to warm the lamps up and dispel the moisture before it marks the reflectors.

the tonneau cover may ease up with use or could have something caught in it?

Also watch out for flat battery after using heated seats. A jump starter is essential for this car.

Thanks superbdreams

Yes I think I'm going to have to invest in decent Bosch blades.  Put them on my last Audi and they were a revelation. 

Worst squeaks are at the passenger vent, passenger door and at the boot roller.

Put new wipers on and gave the windscreen a right good clean with good old fashioned toothpaste and elbow grease.

Much much better now although i can still see very slight feint "lines" where the old wipers have slightly marked the surface of the glass - possibly the car has been sitting a while getting dirty then someone has put the wipers on without cleaning them.  This is very slight and goes away when the wiper run dries out (a second or 2), and its not in my eyeline so I'll cope with it.

Thanks again for replies.

I had my 'roller cover' replaced under warranty as it no longer slid back when the boot was opened.

New one seems to have different sliders from what I remember of the old one.

Mention it to your dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickey43 said:

Worked out also that my passenger side "rattle and squeak" was actually my glasses case in the glasses holder up above.

Took them out...squeak gone.

I also discovered this at the weekend to my relief.

Had an annoying passenger side rattle. Leaned over when driving to push the door trim and it sounded like it was coming from the front instead. Removed sunglasses from the holder and bingo - no more rattle! B)

• Like 1

Try a little silicone spray in the cover runners. Our Fabia cover wasn't sliding smoothly once you released it, quick squirt and wipe with some WD40 branded silicone spray and it slides nicely back to the housing. 

15 hours ago, Nathanio said:

Try a little silicone spray in the cover runners. Our Fabia cover wasn't sliding smoothly once you released it, quick squirt and wipe with some WD40 branded silicone spray and it slides nicely back to the housing. 

Will do, thanks for that.

On 04/02/2017 at 10:09, superbdreams said:

Why is this? I've ordered heated seats, is there a problem with them? All the cars I've had they just work, you don't have to remember to turn them off do you?

The fronts turn off when you turn off the ignition, the rears drop to half heat after 10 mins and again cancel when you turn the ignition off.

Just the act of using them on a journey without a good run after is often enough to cause a flat.

Skoda insisted there was nothing wrong after repeated visits.

Same issue with the tv. there is no point to a tv that you can only watch for 10 mins before it says "start the engine" and of course cant be watched on the move. Handy in a traffic jam though if you don't have stop start.  

That's a bit of a worry, I've never given them a second thought before, had them in serveral cars.

ive had them added as an extra on a technology edition but only the front, also the tech has less bits i.e. No tv, rear seat heating so might be ok, ive almost always have them on in my current Lexus IS300h. Think I'm going to miss that car!! I've never had a flat battery since about 1990.

I've not had any issues with flat batteries although to be fair, only tend to have the front seats occupied and thus only use the front seat heaters. One time I pulled over and watched TV, after not too long it complained of low power but other times, I have watched TV for quite a while without any issues. It's a 1kw alternator or thereabouts and I really can't see that a battery going flat whilst motoring could be normal.

5 hours ago, superbdreams said:

The fronts turn off when you turn off the ignition, the rears drop to half heat after 10 mins and again cancel when you turn the ignition off.

Just the act of using them on a journey without a good run after is often enough to cause a flat.

Skoda insisted there was nothing wrong after repeated visits.

Same issue with the tv. there is no point to a tv that you can only watch for 10 mins before it says "start the engine" and of course cant be watched on the move. Handy in a traffic jam though if you don't have stop start.  

I had the same issue with my Mk.II 170 Superb estate in as far as getting the "start the engine" message after a seemingly brief time of watching the idiots lantern. So I was pleasantly surprised during a long journey in my Mk.III to be able to pull over, turn off the engine, and watch over an hour of F1 qualifying coverage last year without any warnings popping up about starting the engine.

Which leads me to ask, particularly as all Mk.III have start/stop as standard and also both your listed car and avatar implies a Mk.II 170 Superb, is your issue with a Mk.III Superb?

I thought your question most odd as I believed this post was in the mkII section.

I have a shortcut straight to the MkII section and can not explain how I came to even see your post let alone reply in the mkIII section.

sincere apologies and you are indeed correct that I refer to a mkII

• Like 1

Heated seats are very good in the Superb.

Had them before in cars where they were too warm (Honda Accord, your ass got scorched) and not warm enough (Ford Mondeo).

Superb seems just right and warm up very quickly.