All year tyres and mud

MuddyLanes

My choice of insurer is governed by who understands my needs, particularly in respect of wheel and tyre choice. It's in neither party's interests to make the vehicle unsafe or more prone to damage through unforseen incidents e.g. sliding off a muddy track.  Price becomes a secondary consideration after fitness for purpose; and if they can't tick that box, don't consider them as they won't support you when needed.  Same applies to tyre choice really.

I had a fight with one of my current insurers immediately on receipt of documents which specifically excluded wheel/tyre modifications despite me disclosing this and entering a verbal contract with the very helpful "agent".  I argued my case and now have a letter confirming these are OK.  My longer-term requirement to add a learner driver to the policy (safety paramount) made me persevere with the insurer who is known to cover young drivers.  A broker will understand any unconventional requirements more readily than a computer and a good no-claims record helps support your logic.

As I've said before, make sure you're sold what you need rather than what they want to sell you. Only then decide if you're willing to compromise.  Wheels, tyres, new car, insurance, whatever...

Yes, I know what you mean. I do get very frustrated with the "bucket shop" type companies, especially as it's nigh on impossible to get anything in writing, nor even an agent who really knows what you're asking them. I guess they exist to cherry-pick the easy business, where one size does more or less fit all (and don't get me started on the 2" spacing on men's jean's waist sizes!).

I think I may follow PirateSyrett's advice and, first, fix the track rather than the car. Then, if it's starting to look difficult in wet weather I'll switch insurance company to one that is a little more understanding. I've heard that NFU are reasonable, and presumably understand farm tracks have to be used by people living in the back of beyond. They even seem to offer real people in branches that you can actually visit!

• Like 1

Local roads are chippings roller-ed into tar mostly covered in thick layer of mud being pulled off the fields initially by tractors and potato growing and more recently the area has gone over to poultry farming so now even worse. I cant remember the last time I saw a white line and many times a day 4" of mud covering the surfaces adjacent to gates from fields. When it rains its a slippery slurry then after half a day standing water as drains and gullys get blocked then by night its flooding. I have had Bridgestone A001,  Michelin Crossclimate and now Nokian Weatherproof. Crossclimates poor at aquaplaning. Depth of tread noticeably less than others. I like the others for my conditions especially resisting aquaplaning and  good water dispersal resisting car pulling towards flooded nearside but also good grip in slippery mud. Bridgestone very noisy and now prefer the Nokian as they are as good but much quieter.

M

12 minutes ago, PirateSyrett said:

Went properly off road today with the Cross Climates - mud, snow, ice and a fair bit of standing water, but nothing deeper than the Yeti's sills and no surprises. Parked up with a bunch of Range Rovers at Avoriaz (1800m altitude) and didn't look too much out of place.....

Grippy on the 5000' climb on the way up - much fun on the twisty turny alpine roads on the way down. Yeti working well...

Keep an eye out for the new Bridgestone Dueler A/T 001 if they become available in your size.  Might be perfect for you(r) Muddy Lanes.

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/02/new-bridgestone-dueler-at-001-tyre/?utm_source=16+Feb+2017+Newsletter&utm_campaign=Newsletter+170216&utm_medium=email

On 6.2.2017 at 21:24, MuddyLanes said:

>> Those Yokohama All Terrain Tyres in the picture are what is fitted as standard to the Road going Arial Nomad so they do OK on road,

Ok, now I want an Arial Nomad! Not sure SWMBO would approve though ...

My Yeti runs the Yokohama AT/S in the summer season. Dim 215/60-16.  They will be replaced in due time with a new set AT/S in 215/65-16.

• 1 month later...

I've tackled some pretty slippy tracks in my 2wd renault megane on normal summer tyres!

I know it might seem like a pretty crazy idea..... how about getting a few tonnes of gravel for the drive? Whichever tyres you decide to go for you'll get pretty annoyed by the mud sooner or later and will likely go down this route anyway, so its a bit pointless using this as the main feature for picking tyres!

5 hours ago, amwphotos said:

I've tackled some pretty slippy tracks in my 2wd renault megane on normal summer tyres!

I know it might seem like a pretty crazy idea..... how about getting a few tonnes of gravel for the drive? Whichever tyres you decide to go for you'll get pretty annoyed by the mud sooner or later and will likely go down this route anyway, so its a bit pointless using this as the main feature for picking tyres!

A Megane on standard summer tyres is exactly what my other half has! The only problem she's having at the moment is ground clearance. I may have to go out with a spade :) And, yes, the previous owners did indeed put some "cobbles" (2" stones) down each year, so that's what we'll be doing too, so your suggestion is a good one.

1 hour ago, MuddyLanes said:

A Megane on standard summer tyres is exactly what my other half has! The only problem she's having at the moment is ground clearance. I may have to go out with a spade :) And, yes, the previous owners did indeed put some "cobbles" (2" stones) down each year, so that's what we'll be doing too, so your suggestion is a good one.

Mine is a 2001 reg, I put 185 65 15" tyres on, which have a slightly higher sidewall than what should be fitted. It rides a little higher and ground clearance is pretty good,  the Speedo is spot on and no tyre rubbing either.

2" stones are pretty chunky.