Upgrading stereo

AMD87

Posted in the ice part but not getting any attention. 

Looking at upgrading my sound system in my MK2 Fabia Monte Carlo,  Spoke to a friend who works for an Audio car place and the plan is to update the speakers to Focal Access (wanting to keep the car looking completely normal) connected to the stock amundsen + headunit and then dynamatting the car.

So a couple of questions 

1. The covers on the A pillar are rectangle are the tweeters underneth the same or circle? as the focal ones are circle and want to have an idea before ripping the car apart.

2. we also spoke about fitting a sub but i dont want to lose any of the boot space, the idea we had was to take out the spare wheel and put the sub in the spare wheel well and raise the boot slightly but i will still have the length and width of the boot to fit in a suitcase/bags etc. The only issue i can see is the Mk2 fabia does have a habit of leaking into spare wheel well, touch wood mines has been fine but im wondering if anyone else has did this and what issues they might have had.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi said:

i always get a pro audio company to cut out speakers into parcel shelf, first mod and sometimes only mod i have done on cars. My VRS has had water in the spare wheel bit, not much but would'nt want any wiring in there.

Boot Light + Speakers.jpg

That was my line of thought that if it did leak i wouldn't want any wiring in there thats connected to the rest of the car. Cant think of anywhere else to put one to avoid losing any boot space :emoticon-0101-sadsmile:

Just finished doing an install on mine-

Car has very cheap, er cack component speakers... so...

I put in single din pioneer headunit, alpine 165mm coax speakers front and rear and just disconnected the OE teeters.

I had to use 30mm mdf adaptor speaker rings- front.  18mm rear rings.  I did have to chop some of the front door card internal faces to clear the speaker cone.

The difference is phenomenal!

However, I didn't stop there- I fitted an 8" sub in a custom enclosure from fleabay.  It doesn't take up any real boot space but it is an estate.

I am now contemplating putting in a 5 channel amp to replace the sub monoblock- but that will be nuts, it's more than enough without!

IMG_0213.JPG

• Like 1

On 08/02/2017 at 17:34, AMD87 said:

Posted in the ice part but not getting any attention. 

Looking at upgrading my sound system in my MK2 Fabia Monte Carlo,  Spoke to a friend who works for an Audio car place and the plan is to update the speakers to Focal Access (wanting to keep the car looking completely normal) connected to the stock amundsen + headunit and then dynamatting the car.

So a couple of questions 

1. The covers on the A pillar are rectangle are the tweeters underneth the same or circle? as the focal ones are circle and want to have an idea before ripping the car apart.

2. we also spoke about fitting a sub but i dont want to lose any of the boot space, the idea we had was to take out the spare wheel and put the sub in the spare wheel well and raise the boot slightly but i will still have the length and width of the boot to fit in a suitcase/bags etc. The only issue i can see is the Mk2 fabia does have a habit of leaking into spare wheel well, touch wood mines has been fine but im wondering if anyone else has did this and what issues they might have had.

Tweeters are round, I have the focal access in the front too, no problems fitting them onto mdf rings, my tweeters are going on the dash not in the pillar though. 

Dynamat between the mdf and metal will help but also put a ring of foam around the speaker were the screws go to give it separation from the plastic door card.. not sure on the output of skoda original head units but I bought the song with the 4x100w class d amps built in and they are sweet. 

As for the sub there is stealth boxes for the hatch on the same side as that estate pictured. 

But you could also go for an under seat sub. 

You can add foam or dynamat to loose items that may vibrate too (cable attachment to door handle etc) also a sound absorbing foam directly behind the speaker on the door skin helps to deaden sound from the back 

3 minutes ago, kmackmontecarlo said:

Tweeters are round, I have the focal access in the front too, no problems fitting them onto mdf rings, my tweeters are going on the dash not in the pillar though. 

Dynamat between the mdf and metal will help but also put a ring of foam around the speaker were the screws go to give it separation from the plastic door card.. not sure on the output of skoda original head units but I bought the song with the 4x100w class d amps built in and they are sweet. 

As for the sub there is stealth boxes for the hatch on the same side as that estate pictured. 

But you could also go for an under seat sub. 

You can add foam or dynamat to loose items that may vibrate too (cable attachment to door handle etc) also a sound absorbing foam directly behind the speaker on the door skin helps to deaden sound from the back 

Do you have a link to the stealth boxes?

did consider under seat sub but my car has the under seat storage bins which do get used so that was a no go. 

10 hours ago, mac26 said:

That looks exactly like the one I put in my estate, probably too big for the hatch....  Hope it isn't though!

I think it is you can't even get an A5 piece of paper in that gap never mind an 8 inch speaker!

still not had an email back yet