Diesel or no-diesel…that is the question

Have never owned a diesel but have noticed that there are many diesel Superbs around. 

Have seen mentioned that in the secondary market one should avoid low mileage diesels. What's the definition of low mileage?

Don't know whether a diesel or gas car is more appropriate. Do about 15000 km annually, daily commute about 40 km roundtrip and other driving is about 400 km per trip. 

Maybe the 1,8 or 2,0 DSG TSI or the 2,0 TDI

220 TSI - I love mine. Additionally, your expected mileage and driving habit (short trips daily) are better suited for a petrol engine. The occasional (say, twice a month?) 400km trip would suffice for diesel cat regen though.

The latest DPF's have come a long way now since the early days.. You could also ask the dealer to scan the car for a status report of the DPF.

I see your profile states you are in Estonia, here in the UK there is a big push against diesels at the moment and expecting to continue over the coming years trying to move people back to petrol or EV.  How long do you expect to keep the car taking into account your current Pug 406 is 20 yrs old ?

I don't really have a timeframe of how long I will keep the car. 

I guess a couple of years. I plan on moving to Denmark in a few years and would try to take the car with me; the car taxes there are obscene so we'll have to see at that time. 

I recently read about Norway's temporary ban on diesels in certain cities on certain days to combat pollution. Maybe more of that will come, especially in the Nordic countries, so maybe a gas engine is better and "safer" in the long-run. Safer as in I can use it many places when I want.