Hot rear passenger side brake disc and smell

danm

I drive a 2010 2.0 CR diesel Superb

New quality discs and pads all round 8 months/10000miles ago

this week noticed the rear disc getting hot, and smelling of cooked brakes, took to my indy - they suspected a sticky piston, so they swapped out the caliper, this did not fix the issue!

next suspect was the handbrake cable sticking - swapped them both out also - still the same - not fixed - My mechanic now thinks the next suspect is the flexi hose, meantime... I did a Servo check by pumping the pedal till hard, and then switching on ign. and waiting for the vacuum - plenty of vacuum assist,

Has Anyone had similar issues or got any advice? - I'm just praying its not the master cylinder or ABS related...

My plan now is to swap the flexi-hose, test drive, if no fix then pop out the ABS fuse and test drive to see if that makes a difference.  After that I guess its the master cylinder.

thanks

• Like 1

Is it continuing to happen and after what length of drive?

The reason I am asking is I had it once but I suspect I did not release the hand brake sufficiently which I presume is not your experience.

Edited by Danny 57

Hows the bearing?

What do you class as quality discs and pads? Have you checked the disc for run out?

Could it be some crud getting pulled in to the lines when the piston was retracted?

Unless there is a kink in the flexi then not sure how that could cause a brake to bind?

• Like 1

Hi,

garage reported still a 'bit hot' after their road test, we discussed and I agreed to run for a day or too more.

driven about 8 miles back from garage after handbrake cables fitted and adjuster left slack - disc too hot to touch, other discs cold/warm to touch

Predictably it wasn't the flexi hose... joy

took it to Stealers - they put on ramp and said there's a funny light clicking noise when that wheel is spun - poss bearing but no play in wheel, poss ABS module/rotor... we'd need to strip it down to see what's what £200 and a weeks wait for them to get around to it just to pull wheel and calipers and hub off!!  at least the strong indication was that the issue is based in that corner rather than ABS/Master cylinder

So thanked them for their trouble, and will be going to get that done at different higher-skilled Indy on Tues,

I can't say I would buy another VAG or Superb, it's been the most unreliable car I've owned out of many, and its mostly done motorway miles from 20k and been religiously maintained

to date (83k), its needed a DMF, 2 new injectors, had a failed window winder cable, a very rattly dash + very noisy aircon + now this issue.         

on previous cars I've had  caliper pins  jam with rust and dirt and cause the calipers to stick but you say they've changed the caliper ?  Can you see they actually have changed it and the mounting pins?

Also could be bearing fault ? Is the bearing hot? Perhaps it's this that's making the noise?

Edited by peterposh