Wheels spinning but asr is on!!

jimmyv

Not sure if its a major problem (no warning lights on) but I am able to spin the front wheels even though the asr is on. Have only noticed it since I had a service and my alloys replaced. Could something have been disconnected and why isn't the warning light on? Out of warranty so would like to avoid dealer if posssible (unless they caused it).

So lets get this straight. With the button not pressed on the dash you can spin the wheels, yes?

How much wheel spin? Remember much like ABS which has to lock to be able to release ASR has to let the wheels spin to realise they are.

Are you running the same size tyres on the new wheels?

If the ASR light is lit up it means it's turned OFF not on. Dunno if yours is lit or not, but that's the first thing.

Secondly ASR reduces the output of the engine a bit, but only within certain limits. I can easily get wheelspin in my Fabia vRS with ESP, as if it's slippery it will still spin for a little bit.

Right-foot control tends to sort this out though :)

Could be a failing MAF sensor or slpit hose.

I had the same symptom recently where the ASR light would come on to indicate that it was not enabled. Cleaning the MAF and changing a split hose solved the problem.

Other Briskoda users have had the same sympton with a failing MAF sensor.

A new MAF is £80 from Skoda/VW

How is the car idling? SHortly before mine started playing up it began to "hunt" for it's idle speed by about 75-100 rpm either side of where it was aiming for. You may be able to see the needle on the rev counter wandering around slightly.

Could be a failing MAF sensor or slpit hose.

I had the same symptom recently where the ASR light would come on to indicate that it was not enabled. Cleaning the MAF and changing a split hose solved the problem.

Other Briskoda users have had the same sympton with a failing MAF sensor.

A new MAF is

When pulling away at pace I can keep the wheels spinnng (as without asr) the asr light flashes to kindly tell me that I am wheel spinning but it never seems to cut in to stop it. I know the roads are greasy but the point of traction control is to stop this. In the past all I got was a small squeak from the tyres and then less power and maybe a slight judder. The alloys were replaced but are still standard so shouldn't have a bearing on this problem.

When pulling away at pace I can keep the wheels spinnng (as without asr) the asr light flashes to kindly tell me that I am wheel spinning but it never seems to cut in to stop it. I know the roads are greasy but the point of traction control is to stop this. In the past all I got was a small squeak from the tyres and then less power and maybe a slight judder. The alloys were replaced but are still standard so shouldn't have a bearing on this problem.

I would say its just the state of the roads / temperatures. I've suffered a bit from this sort of thing recently ... but then every day for about the last 3 weeks i've looked at the temperature guage and its been 2 degrees or less which is probably the real explanation (i.e. cold tyres, icy or gritty roads and a heavyish foot :o ).

• 2 months later...

heres one for you then i just had to have my ASR unit replaced as my car was trying to throw me off the road on bends. Took it into my local dealer thinking i had had a suspension failure to be told that my ASR was faulty and was applying the brakes at the werong time. (Apparantly ASR works by applying the brakes for a fraction of a second to the slipping wheel). Scary, it was to drive it when that was faulty i can tell you. Whilst i waitied for the part to be supplied ot my local dealer i was advised to drive with ASr disabled which made it a lot safer. It might be a faulty ASr unit ?

Hi, to go back to the original post by 'jimmv', i have a similar reaction to my right foot in my vRS. Light on or light off the wheels will spin at times and sometimes quite violently shuddering or skipping (as if a suspension strut was broken) however my car does try to cope with it by reducing engine power, i find it applies the brakes in this scenario ONLY when i'm pulling out whilst turning (i.e out of a T-junction).

Secondly, (and i'm sure some of you have) has anyone tried left foot braking in fast corners, if you apply a little pressure and hold, the car then adds extra braking equally all round to slow you down... Very clever and great if your going too quick, IF your quick enough and light enough with the left foot, we don't want to spinn off the road...:cool:

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME or ON SMALL ROADS....;)

once again, great forum.