Should I remap

8 hours ago, planehazza said:

Is it worth me ordering one of these to accompany the map?

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/gfb/gfb-dv-for-vag-20fsi-turbo-engines

I guess it couldn't hurt.  I didn't change mine & so far it's been okay since November.  I did have a slight misfire under load in 5th/6th gear afterwards but a set of these put an end to that :

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/oem-red-r8-ignition-coil-pack-set-for-2-0t-vehicles/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinnyman said:

I guess it couldn't hurt.  I didn't change mine & so far it's been okay since November.  I did have a slight misfire under load in 5th/6th gear afterwards but a set of these put an end to that :

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/oem-red-r8-ignition-coil-pack-set-for-2-0t-vehicles/

yeah I've decided I'm definitely changing my coil packs and plugs. The coils on mine are originals from 2009 I believe, so they will be pre 'recall' (forget the correct term).  The plugs are only ~17k miles old, but I might as well do an oil, filter, and plug change in preparation for the map.  The  GFB DV+ isn't a necessity, but I'll probably look to get one of those at some point.

Are the R8 coil packs noticeably better than OEM bosch?  I'm not fussed about the reset aesthetics; in fact I'd prefer them to be black.

3 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Are the R8 coil packs noticeably better than OEM bosch?  I'm not fussed about the reset aesthetics; in fact I'd prefer them to be black.

I don't know about noticeably better but they cured the intermittent misfire under load. I did a lot of reading on the Mk5 Golf forums and eventually went for these.  I figured my 250+bhp remap wasn't going to trouble a set of coil packs from an R8!

Edited by skinnyman
  • Like 1

Just now, skinnyman said:

I don't know about noticeably better but they cured the intermittent misfire under load. I did a lot of reading on the Mk5 Golf forums and went for these.  I figure my 250+bhp remap wasn't going to trouble a set of coil packs from an R8!

Thanks. I'm curious to know whether it was the R8 coils that cured it, or if the ones before that were on their way out.  Mine certainly feels like it has a mild misfire; if I try to accelerate any more than gently at ~2500rpm, it kind of twitches/hesitates before picking up, but I've never had a MIL or code for misfire.  I have seen some misfire references when doing VCDS logging, but they were very few and far between so I never got around to finding the cause.  My laptop is knackered so I can't do any more for logging for now either.  

I couldn't answer that one to be honest.  I simply replaced all the coils in one go so I'll never know which one was faulty or if indeed it was in the first place.  My theory was that the originals had done nearly 80k so needed replacing anyway.  I wasn't bothered about them being red as they're hidden away under the plastic cover anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinnyman said:

I couldn't answer that one to be honest.  I simply replaced all the coils in one go so I'll never know which one was faulty or if indeed it was in the first place.  My theory was that the originals had done nearly 80k so needed replacing anyway.  I wasn't bothered about them being red as they're hidden away under the plastic cover anyway.

I like your logic :D Makes me feel better about buying them, as mines on 78k now so probably due anyway as you say.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, planehazza said:

yeah I've decided I'm definitely changing my coil packs and plugs. The coils on mine are originals from 2009 I believe, so they will be pre 'recall' (forget the correct term).  The plugs are only ~17k miles old, but I might as well do an oil, filter, and plug change in preparation for the map.  The  GFB DV+ isn't a necessity, but I'll probably look to get one of those at some point.

I think a new set of coil packs is not a bad idea, especially with your occasional misfire issue. Doesn't have to be the R8 ones but they do seem to get a good response.  I'd say coil packs is a wiser investment than similar money on the DV+ initially at least. Of course your diverter may fail which will require you to reconsider the issue again, if you come to that bridge. But then again it may not.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheClient said:

I think a new set of coil packs is not a bad idea, especially with your occasional misfire issue. Doesn't have to be the R8 ones but they do seem to get a good response.  I'd say coil packs is a wiser investment than similar money on the DV+ initially at least. Of course your diverter may fail which will require you to reconsider the issue again, if you come to that bridge. But then again it may not.

Cheers mate.  It looks like the DV on mine has been replaced in the past as it's Rev G, exact same as what I bought before I realised it had obviously been done at some point.  I still have the new part from TPS; I just kept it as a spare. The reds do seem to get good reviews, and they're 'only' £97 at AwesomeGTI.  I had it in my head that a set of four coil packs would set be back £120 so even better :)  I'll get new plugs too. I can't remember if the ones I have have are the sportier, cooler NGK 8s , or the normal 7s, but I'll order 7s as I've read that they suit 'normal', non racing driving better.

EDIT: This explains so much. It looks like I ordered the wrong ones 18 months ago.  According to my eBay order history, I actually have the 8s (BKR8EIX) currently fitted, which may explain some of the issues I'm having, as I'm rarely WOT.

I'll order plugs and coils today, but it doesn't look like I'm getting my map soon anyway; order is still 'Pending' :/

Just checking these are the correct R8 Reds?

Edited by planehazza

That is one step colder than normal. I use BKR7EIX. Running 8 even in a stage 1 is unnecessary in my opinion, it is only one grade lower though, so I suppose the only consequence possible is more build up on plugs.

AFAIK there is only one version of the R8 plugs and it says 1.8/2.0TSI so I'd say they are all ok.

2 minutes ago, TheClient said:

That is one step colder than normal. I use BKR7EIX. Running 8 even in a stage 1 is unnecessary in my opinion, it is only one grade lower though, so I suppose the only consequence possible is more build up on plugs.

AFAIK there is only one version of the R8 plugs and it says 1.8/2.0TSI so I'd say they are all ok.

Yeah I must have ordered the wrong plugs by mistake; I only just realised I had the colder ones installed.  I'll order the BKR7EIX alongside new coil packs :) 

Just been on to Shark as I was a little concerned that the order status was still saying 'Pending' after three days.  They don't have any STS devices in stock so it'll be at least a week before I receive it.  Not a big deal but would have been nice to know via the site when ordering.

I got the R8 coil packs when i upgraded my audi s2 to rs2+ spec and they where actually cheaper at the main audi dealers  :notme::notme: go figure!!!  got 5 for just over £110 

Edited by vonbeck
  • Like 1

Just now, vonbeck said:

I got the R8 coil packs when i upgraded my audi s2 to rs2+ spec and they where actually cheaper at the main audi dealers  :notme::notme: go figure!!!  got 5 for just over £110 

Nice! I bought 4 for ~£93, so still not bad :)

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to buy a Shark STS map.  They're out of stock on the STS device, but their website doesn't say this.  They're also having problems with mail etc, so it's been a very quiet two weeks so far.  They expect stock at the end of the week. Fingers crossed.