Drivers electric window works but doesn't work

Hi all, have discovered an issue with drivers side window, a few weeks ago at a car park I noticed when putting window up on auto, at close it went into reverse and straight back down again but went up and down ok .....now .....today .....first warmish day,went to open window, press button,went down an inch ....press again, another inch and again and again,inch at a time until down ...then going back up...the same...inch stop inch stop but only to half way when it stopped altogether ......left it five minutes and it worked again but .....again....only an inch at a time .....now obviously something's wrong, anyone have experience of this???? Could it be the switch? Motor? Or generally the regulator is buggered?? Thx 

Not sure on a Skoda but when my Renault did a similar thing I had to 'reset' the window by opening it fully by repeatedly pressing the switch till it was at the bottom and then pressing and holding the switch down for 15 seconds(ish) then all the way up and holding it up, again for 15 seconds, and then it worked as normal again for a few months.  Never have got to the bottom of why it keeps losing it's memory of where fully up and down were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy-fisher said:

Not sure on a Skoda but when my Renault did a similar thing I had to 'reset' the window by opening it fully by repeatedly pressing the switch till it was at the bottom and then pressing and holding the switch down for 15 seconds(ish) then all the way up and holding it up, again for 15 seconds, and then it worked as normal again for a few months.  Never have got to the bottom of why it keeps losing it's memory of where fully up and down were.

Many thx .... I'll  give it a go 

Ok, tried the window re set thing ..... window went down fully with held turn of key ...... and then back up again with held turn of key..... great I thought, it worked ..,. No ....it. Didn't .... same as  after and when trying the re set procedure again .......... the drivers window would only move an inch again 

Looks like you have high friction in the slide rails for the glass. Take a look at them and check you don't have any mould or black crud in the rails. Clean them out with a screwdriver end or similar. Some people have reported putting WD 40 or similar on the rails to lubricate the glass.

The action of the window is normal. With high friction, the window thinks a child's finger has been trapped, hence the reverse motion for an inch.

Here is what your handbook says about it, including how to to override the safety protection:

Force limiter of the power windows

The electrically operated power windows are fitted with a force limiter. It reduces the risk of bruises or injuries when closing the windows.

If there is an obstacle, the closing process is stopped and the window goes down by several centimetres.

If the obstacle prevents the window from being closed during the next 10 sec- onds, the closing process is interrupted once again and the window goes down by several centimetres.

You must try to close the window once again within 10 seconds after the window has gone down twice, even if the obstacle was not yet removed, the closing proc- ess is stopped. During this time it is not possible to automatically close the win- dow. The force limiter is still switched on.

The force limiter is only switched off, if you attempt to close the window within the next 10 seconds – the window closes now with full strength!

If you wait longer than 10 seconds, the force limiter is switched on again.

1 hour ago, pikpilot said:

Looks like you have high friction in the slide rails for the glass. Take a look at them and check you don't have any mould or black crud in the rails. Clean them out with a screwdriver end or similar. Some people have reported putting WD 40 or similar on the rails to lubricate the glass.

The action of the window is normal. With high friction, the window thinks a child's finger has been trapped, hence the reverse motion for an inch.

Here is what your handbook says about it, including how to to override the safety protection:

Force limiter of the power windows

The electrically operated power windows are fitted with a force limiter. It reduces the risk of bruises or injuries when closing the windows.

If there is an obstacle, the closing process is stopped and the window goes down by several centimetres.

If the obstacle prevents the window from being closed during the next 10 sec- onds, the closing process is interrupted once again and the window goes down by several centimetres.

You must try to close the window once again within 10 seconds after the window has gone down twice, even if the obstacle was not yet removed, the closing proc- ess is stopped. During this time it is not possible to automatically close the win- dow. The force limiter is still switched on.

The force limiter is only switched off, if you attempt to close the window within the next 10 seconds – the window closes now with full strength!

If you wait longer than 10 seconds, the force limiter is switched on again.

Yes totally agree with friction thing....I think something is sticking ...but it also seems the force limiter is not switching off or working at all.... when I first did the electric window re set ....it went right down..... and right up...no problem.... thought I'd solved it ... but then when using the window normally  again ....it sticks up or down every couple of cm's, almost like something in the mechanism is tightening up as the window is used ......so I'm guessing when the weather improves I'm going to have to remove the door card and check/oil everything up .... my boss suggested squirting wd down behind the window rubber but that's just gonna make a mess I'm sure .....many thx for your reply :-) 

Hi

Mine is doing exactly the same thing! I also thought about pushing the tube of a WD40 can down behind the rubber to lubricate - has anyone tried that?

The thought of taking the whole door trim off just to lubricate the regulator fills me with dread!

Good luck - keep us posted!

• Like 1

The finger trap release is actually a motor overload measure which is why it works when going down as well as up. Using a second attempt within 10 seconds should override this protection and close or open fully the window but in extreme cases you can help it with the palm of your hand on the glass. Note, you need to fully push or pull on the switch, not use the auto close/open one touch position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pikpilot said:

The finger trap release is actually a motor overload measure which is why it works when going down as well as up. Using a second attempt within 10 seconds should override this protection and close or open fully the window but in extreme cases you can help it with the palm of your hand on the glass. Note, you need to fully push or pull on the switch, not use the auto close/open one touch position.

Can push or pull on the button 5 times within the 10 seconds ... the override either does not work or the window is sticking as it still only goes a couple of cm's 

My local mechanic has suggested a PTFE dry lube spray, with no need to take off the door panel, so I am going to get some and give that a go. He agreed that WD40 would be a bit messy! It's probably a temporary fix, but hopefully will take the pressure off the motor until I get a chance to take the door panel off and check properly.

Good luck!

Edited by babygoose2004
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2017 at 12:58, babygoose2004 said:

My local mechanic has suggested a PTFE dry lube spray, with no need to take off the door panel, so I am going to get some and give that a go. He agreed that WD40 would be a bit messy! It's probably a temporary fix, but hopefully will take the pressure off the motor until I get a chance to take the door panel off and check properly.

Good luck!

How did you get on??? Did it work??