Break it to me gently.... - broken hub

Some lovely person has clipped my front offside wheel and broken the hub.  The car was parked with the wheels turned slightly towards the curb.  Thankfully no bodywork damage, but my wheels now point in opposite directions - any idea what costs I might be looking at?

Person didn't leave a note or anything, so either it will be insurance or coming out of my pocket :crying:

Edited by mbames

If the cost extends as far as the hub alone it should be relatively affordable.

However, if the impact was sufficient to wreck the hub, chances are the wheel may be fractured, alignment will be to pot, maybe wishbone damage etc. etc.

I fear the bill could be quite large, best of luck...

What a great birthday present (for tomorrow).

I've already had the car recovered, so my local garage will have a better look in the morning.  Guess if bad it might require a new bearing and possibly drive shaft too, this is starting to add up.  Will phone the insurance tomorrow and see what they say - at least I have a crime reference no and incident number from the police.

Only just got it back from the water pump debarkle.

Is the hub visibly damaged? I'd be surprised if it is the hub at all. I'm guessing wishbone, and as suggested, drive shaft and track rod etc.

Make sure the alignment is fully checked out, this type of impact can cause hidden damage that may only be apparent when it's driveable again, e.g. steering wheel off centre etc.

Hope it's not too bad though, best of luck! :sadsmile:

Must have been some impact to remove the drive shaft from the hub. Hub and bearing are about £189 for parts, but as others have stated, there is likely to be more damage. There's a good chance the actual suspension strut will be bent, along with tie rod and possibly the drive shaft and or CV joint (outer).