Octavia Mk3 variable boot floor retrofit

Hi, new member here.

I can see that this has been discussed a few times and I thought I'd share what I've done. 

I was disappointed to see that you couldn't get dealer fit variable boot floor as you could with the MK2. I nearly didn't buy my replacement skoda because of that, but having tried various other cars it was clear that a newer VRS was best for us.

I had a variable floor in my older MK2 VRS so  I removed it before sale and have adapted to fit into the new octavia. Its not perfect but it is is servicable and was quite straightforward. the steps were:

1) remove fitting hardware and cut the side pieces to length. I ended up cutting about 70mm from each side to accommodate the raised lip at the side of the rear

2) carefully remove carpet from the front of the raised floor and trim to fit. I thought the boot ledge was straight, but in fact it has a slight curve to it. As a result there is a small gap at the front of mine

4) refit carpet using spray glue/staples and tidy.

5) fit a piece of brace wood at the front to give some stability to the structure.

6) install side pieces and brace.

7) fit floor on top using existing mounting bolts

8) bask in your reflected glory

unfortunately the lashing points on the mk2 which the boot floor used to secure to the car run at right angle to the ones in mk3 so I wasn't able to reuse them. I'm going to locate some right angle joints on the outside to hook under the lashing points to give some more stability. However, given that it cost nothing apart from some spray glue I'm pretty pleased with the result

Heres some pictures:

TZtLWC

SDektj

rKgfFE

WqT7rA

• Like 4

Hi, I am very impressed with your installation and propose doing the same. Can I clarify that cutting the floor and side supports is all done at the rear end of the car (you refer to the front of the floor)? Also although your instructions make it sound straightforward, are there any other tips you can advise. Thanks.

Ian

Edited by IanMary

I cut the rear off the side supports and the front edge of the boot floor.

In terms of tips, make the wooden support a bit oversize so it pushes the side supports out and "wedges"against the lashing point

Edited by member435313
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, member435313 said:

I cut the rear off the side supports and the front edge of the boot floor.

In terms of tips, make the wooden support a bit oversize so it pushes the side supports out and "wedges"against the lashing point

Thank you. I picked up a complete floor for £10 today from a local car breakers, so looking forward to doing this.

Edited by IanMary

• 1 year later...

My dealer says they're waiting for parts to fit the VBF in the Scout. (Had one in the Octy II and it was superb for wellies, snow chains, other odds'n'sods).

They haven't said it can't be done, but should I expect the "sorry, but..." phone call anytime soon?

1 hour ago, Rab-k said:

My dealer says they're waiting for parts to fit the VBF in the Scout. (Had one in the Octy II and it was superb for wellies, snow chains, other odds'n'sods).

They haven't said it can't be done, but should I expect the "sorry, but..." phone call anytime soon?

Well... @SashaGrace did it the proper way and it was quite involved - there is quite a LOT of interior to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah it’s doable in a day at home if you are competent at removing trim. It’ll be around a 4 figure sum from a dealer I expect as just the plastic rails that hold the floor up on each side are £90 odd each from TPS. I know because some bits of mine were broken so I remade what I had rather than fork out. I bought my floor, plastic runners and side panels from a breaker for £100. The clip in side trims got damaged so they made it £90. I bought those new from TPS for something like £40. The whole install was £132.80 and it is exactly as it should be from the factory. It is doable, and something you could do at home but it will require access to an M10 spline tool to remove the lower seat belt bolt and you will need to move an airbag. Other than that, nothing major is required, just a good Torx set and some decent pry tools. Took me about 6 hours all in but now I’ve done it once, could probably do it in 3-4 hours.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the abridged beginner's guide... I think I'd need a couple of brave pills before attempting it - but if the dealer chickens out I think I can find some behind the sofa cushions.

I'll let you know...

• Like 1

I have a spare variable boot floor if anyone wants it.

I bought it on ebay thinking I could add it to the family Octavia, all I got was the floor and plastic/metal bar, I didn't realise all the other stuff that was part of the original package.

It was only when I looked in my VRS (with VBF) that I saw all the extra bits.

Free to anyone that wants to pick it up from Crawley (RH11), as I really don't feel like posting it.

PM Me.