Skoda Fabia 02 SDI 133K miles strange noise

Good morning everyone. I hope you are all well.

Apologies if this query has been answered elsewhere. My Skoda has been making a strange hollow noise on top of the normal engine grunt I get on the motorway.

I asked my neighbour garage guys they replaced an engine mount about a month ago and told me it's nothing to worry about.

When I accelerate or slow down the noise gets louder/ quieter and when I brake I get vibration. I only changed the whole system last year.  The noise is coming from the passenger side. 

However as I do a lot of long distance driving for my job the noise is getting worrying as I get a clunk when I drive round corners at slightly higher speed.

I have no experience with car mechanics and have been reading my Haynes manual. From reading under the fault finding section I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. I have discussed the issue with my Dad and he says it may be a anti roll bar issue. 

Any suggestions if anyone has had a similar problem and sorted it out would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for everyone's time and advice. 

Sounds to me like a wheel bearing, ant roll bar would make knocking noises over bumps.

If it gets louder under cornering, acceleration and braking then that's when there is a load on the wheel bearing and it would make the most noise.

Could be a number of things from what you have described. I used to have an old Honda Civic which had been around a local garage like the town bicycle, not many people wanted to keep hold of it for too long because there was a horrific metal knocking vibrating noise when off the accelerator and slowing down like you described above. When I put it on jack stands and got someone to sit in the car to accelerate and then lift off the pedal while my head was under the side of the car, I could see it was the exhaust manifold hitting on a heat shield around the Catalytic converter. Tied it on tighter as it was rusted through by putting new metal clamps on it and it was perfect. It only seemed to do it on deceleration however which is when it must have been hitting its harmonic threshold with the engines vibrations and then vibrating enough to hit the cat!

Anyway, as you have explained that the car is also vibrating under braking, as stated by the previous comment it could very well be the wheel bearing. This is normally tested by rocking the top and the bottom of the wheel and the left and right side of the wheel while it is jacked up off the floor and checking for excessive movement - although this doesn't always prove anything as sometimes the bearing can be almost seized so the next best thing to do is try and spin the wheel while it is off the ground and listening for a dragging sort of noise (If you rub your hands together it makes a similar noise to that if the bearing is gone). 

As said above, normally the most noises from Anti roll bar / drop links would be when going over bumps - and your CV joints will make a clicking noise when going around a corner, maybe also worth checking the rubber boots around your CV joints for any rips and tears as that can allow dirt to get into it causing it to knock while cornering. 

Does the car pull in any direction when braking? If so which way does it pull? I personally would be looking at the wheel bearing, but would be worth checking everything discussed above especially the caliper if it is vibrating under braking or if it is pulling in one direction :)

Let us know if you find anything out!

Also forgot to mention the tie rod ends! Could definately be a cause of wobbling and vibrating under braking!

I would definitely get these checked out if this is the case they can let go and cause a bit of a mess (not only to the wheel arch but in your pants if they let go while your driving at speeds!) 

10 minutes ago, floydboy1 said:

Haha are they really that bad? 

It's a lucky dip, many have chocolate gearboxes, the SDI has no power but it's very torquey, gearboxes hate high torque loadings at low speeds, they're much happier spinning up.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help and advice floydboy1 with this issue and everyone else.

I haven't really looked at it for a while apart from asking my Dad we greased up the centre of the passenger side with the car on the ground but that is all a good month ago.

It's in for an MOT today so if it's anything major not road legal we'll find out all being well!

I sincerely hope it's not the gearbox!

From previous years advisory it says 'front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt' its done nearly 17k miles since last year so I'll have to wait and see if it's a quick fix or not until next year!

Have a great day and weekend everyone. 

Thanks for your help and advice floydboy1 with this issue and everyone else.

I haven't really looked at it for a while apart from asking my Dad we greased up the centre of the passenger side with the car on the ground but that is all a good month ago.

It's in for an MOT today so if it's anything major not road legal we'll find out all being well!

I sincerely hope it's not the gearbox!

From previous years advisory it says 'front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt' its done nearly 17k miles since last year so I'll have to wait and see if it's a quick fix or not until next year!

Have a great day and weekend everyone. 

Suspension arm CV boot and joint gaiter have been replaced to make it road legal costing £180 all in. Any thoughts if it's reasonable would be great.

I've been advised it's all wear and tear so if it lasts me another 12 months I'm a happy fella! 

Our 2002 Polo 1.4 16v used to make an almost wheel bearing type noise whilst driving,I did not worry about it too much as I knew somebody else with an identical noise on their Polo.

Eventually it got to tyre replacing time - I swapped the front tyres to the back and put 2 new ones on the front.Result - noise gone :)

The cause of the noise was most definitely the old rear tyres which had a very distinctive wear pattern (sort of 'feathered'/scrubbed).

Not saying that is your problem but tyres can sound odd if they have odd wear patterns. 

• 7 months later...

Good evening all. The problem I originally posted has got much worse over the last 8 months. However I have hit a kerb and replaced my front passenger side tyre rim in that time. The car has passed its MOT and I have replaced the entire 'arm' under the passenger side seat behind the wheel. The CV boot and everything that it goes around including the grease filled joint with a screw shaped point has been checked and replaced. 

I'm not a mechanic so I apologise for using the wrong terms. The underside of the passenger side that has been replaced will have been scrapped and recycled a while back, so I can't put any pictures up even though I don't know how to. I have some new car noises on the passenger side which include a wailing noise and difficulty changing gears a crunching/grinding noise. Is my clutch/ gearbox on its way out? The car has done 142,200 now however I understand this could be very expensive and buying a new/used car isn't an option for me. How long should gearboxes/clutches last? I've been told around 100k miles, I've had this clutch in for only 67k miles so I'm thinking my driving isn't great.

Any help/advice/ support with this would be gratefully received I thank everyone's time and help in advance for any suggestions. 

Noise with difficult changes would indicate gearbox. Just hard to shift could indicate a clutch issue but knowing those sdi it will 90% be the box. You may be able to find a low mileage second hand one although it may be better to buy another car. You might find a low milleage example owned by an older person that would be cheaper than repairing your current car.

Instead of looking at scrap yards try looking at adds for cars that are salvage or breaking. I've just got a good deal on some alloys from a metal recycling  plant. You could always try your local council and ask where they send cars that are removed off the streets for what ever reason. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening all. An update I've had my wheel bearing replaced. Hopefully the humming noise will no longer be heard when I'm driving on the motorway. 

Good morning all. I hope everyone is well and has had a great long weekend. As has been advised earlier on in this thread, my SDI chocolate gearbox has gone.

Started the car yesterday afternoon and got about 10ft up the road heard a massive clunk and car wouldn't go any further even when it was in first gear. Wouldn't go in reverse either. 

As soon as the garage guys opposite my house opened this morning I asked they both advised me the gearbox has gone. They have an Octavia tdi gearbox however it's done 150k miles. 

I'm just wanting to please ask any opinions whether it's worth replacing as I've rang a few scrapyards however they're not open today. Anyone know of a rough price ( part and labour) plus if it's worth replacing the clutch at the same time( if it's gone too) as I understand labour wise gearbox and clutch would not need to be removed to be replaced? 

I appreciate everyone's time, help and support with this issue. Thanks in advance. 

SDI will struggle to pull TDI gear ratios, you really need the same gearbox, code will be on the sticker under the carpet in the boot. If you can find a half decent used gearbox for sensible money then it's probably worth doing because you'll get a few more years out of the car, yes, I'd replace the clutch at the same time because a new SDI clutch is cheap as chips because you only need the two plates and a release bearing. No idea what the costs will be, hundreds of pounds though.

@Faz02 - Best case your locals are wrong and it's just the clutch release bearing that's FUBAR.

Worst case they're right and the friction plate needs doing too, and you're already planning for that.

Either way the car could go on for the same mileage again given those parts.

Thanks Ken and Sepulchrave for your advice. Apparently garage owner( the two fellas' boss) says it's driveshafts and CV joints on right hand side of the car that is stopping the car from moving the car forward. Not a gearbox issue. It's in the garage for repair now so we'll see what happens! 

46 minutes ago, Faz02 said:

Thanks Ken and Sepulchrave for your advice. Apparently garage owner( the two fellas' boss) says it's driveshafts and CV joints on right hand side of the car that is stopping the car from moving the car forward. Not a gearbox issue. It's in the garage for repair now so we'll see what happens! 

Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, Faz02 said:

As well as the CV joints / driveshafts get them to check the large gearbox/engine mount that fastens the top of the gearbox to the chassis leg (visible from above with the bonnet open).  When this wears out it can cause issues with CV joints, gearbox linkages, exhaust etc..