Joining Skoda, but how?

So I've just recently had a text drive in a 2013 Skoda Monte Carlo (105ps version) and I was completely blown away with how smooth and excited the wee puppy was. I was not disappointed I'll tell you that right now - unfortunately I didn't get it on the day because of the dealer being slightly off with us as the vehicle may have had a wheel baring issue in the back, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

The problem I'm having is the budget I've set allows me to either go for a cheaper, economical and more stylish Monte Carlo but it also allows me to possibly grab myself a vRS Fabia (at 2013 reg if I can find one at the price and mileage I'm looking for).

I've looked at numerous threads on this board about the problem with the vRS' having oil thirst, DSG problems and engine reliability issues which has put me off slightly. I'm only young once and I wanted to see if I could have a little fun out of something I'd love for a few years and whether it'd be a good investment - maintenance and economy wise.

I couldn't care less about the colour of the vehicle which makes my search easier but I'm stuck between the two variants...Monte and vRS. I'm just completely confused with all the answers on different threads saying go for the 2013-onward engines, don't drive out until the oil is warmed up, you've got to play with vRS more harshly every so often and not drive it too carefully - hence what it was built for. Oh and also engine updates too...because the engine had failed so much in the passed Skoda or VW or whatever had come up with some software updates to help the engine look after itself better. What's the jig with that?

Anything is going to be better than a 1.0 E Polo. Insurance with both Fabia's are not a problem with my current NCD. MPG on both models are acceptable and I'm sure that with a 2013 reg or something under 40,000 miles automatically gives me approved warranty under Skoda?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :) looking forward to being apart of the Skoda community :P

Welcome.

There are members in the Fabia Mk2 section or on the forum that can tell you were they traded a good vRS Twincharger into, 

otherwise it is a lottery and you need to know what to check, get lucky and have a very good warranty with a Mk2 Fabia vRS.

There are good ones obviously, and you want a CTHE Engine one really from after the summer 2013.

But older can have had a replacement engine and be good. But it is a lottery, but can be a bargain if your luck is in.

Best get a test drive in one, or more and see.

george

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the mad house

Imho I'd opt for the Monte Carlo the above post sums up the thoughts of many an entry on the skoda11 forum, the Vrs is a lottery will always be perceived as a lottery, even if you strike lucky and get a good one the buying public will view the car with the reputation all the Vrs models have been tarnished with

read the mk11 forums ask a few questions I'm sure most will give a honest answer warts and all

above all get the right car for you so you enjoy it, you're only young once

• 7 months later...