Canton - noise cancellation

The brochure/configurator blurb for the Canton mentions a noise cancellation function.  Does this mean that the system is meant to quieten cabin noise by playing a negative version of the noise wave, similar to noise cancelling headphones?  

I can't see this mentioned in the manual and can't see anything in the Sound setup on the interface itself.  

Could anyone offer some insight, please? 

• Like 1

I have read about this in an article but not at Skoda's website. Do not know how effective this is, or if it exists at all, but I'm pretty happy with the noise level, apart from wind noise.

I too am very pleased the so far, given the car's on 19" wheels I was expecting some compromises.  

I was only asking as I've seen it mentioned in a few places but there's no reference to it in the interface at all so I'm assuming it's a dynamic feature and just does it's thing int he background.  Just curious. 

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I have the Canton system and have read the manual pretty thoroughly. This is the first I've heard of noise cancelling. Going through the menu choices, I've not seen anything to indicate noise cancelling.

I have nothing to compare the sound to, except my 2008 Brera (which I was quite happy with). The Canton system sounds excellent. It plays too loud before I notice any break up. Although it offers a subwoofer volume control, it's just a dead thump, so I don't set it above +1. I'm really happy with the sound and the fact that a CD/DVD player is included, as these seem to be disappearing fast from new cars.

Bit of a Luddite here, but couldn't it be tested by turning to a 'dead' input (e.g. Aux where nothing connected) & then turning unit on/off whilst volume control set, say, mid-way??

P.S: While I'm here, I've read references to it having (when in conjunction with Columbus) Dolby 5.1, but the general view is that this does nothing without a 5.1 source. Does it not have Dolby pro-logic to add a surround effect to 2-ch sources?

The cynic in me thinks the description is a bit disingenuous: the louder the volume, the less road noise. Or, there is an upgrade that my Canton system doesn't have. I have not seen any signs of a large subwoofer housed in the boot, or a 12-channel amplifier under the driver's seat. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? I think all this must be an optional, optional extra.

My system has a crude three-band equalizer, but nothing that suggests different profiles as shown in the image in the above link in steeringnews.com

This will give me an excuse to sit in my car awhile this afternoon. Thanks all!

I had noise cancelling in my previous car and it is one of those things you have to trust is working as you can't hear it. As I remember what it does is plays sounds that you can't hear but they are designed to 'cancel out' other noises such as road noise by playing an 'opposite' sound note. I definitely remember it being mentioned somewhere in the skoda info on the canton system - perhaps in the brochure or on website. Don't think it is something you can turn on/off.

Thanks, I'll go have a look. To my mind, a subwoofer is an amplified, 12-inch speaker cone, so a box in the boot cubby must be a digital enhancement? That would explain the dull thump coming from the 4" drivers in the doors, rather than the trouser-rippling concert hall musicality that article suggests! Again, pardon the cynicism, but I used to work in advertising.

• Like 1

I just went through the car configurator again. There are no optional extra speakers offered for the Canton system. There is an optional TV/DAB tuner, but the info blurb does not mention more speakers or Dolby stereo. Honestly, I'm not bothered, but I'd feel pretty silly if my system offered features I haven't discovered yet!

20 minutes ago, freelunch said:

The cynic in me thinks the description is a bit disingenuous: the louder the volume, the less road noise. Or, there is an upgrade that my Canton system doesn't have. I have not seen any signs of a large subwoofer housed in the boot, or a 12-channel amplifier under the driver's seat. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? I think all this must be an optional, optional extra.

My system has a crude three-band equalizer, but nothing that suggests different profiles as shown in the image in the above link in steeringnews.com

This will give me an excuse to sit in my car awhile this afternoon. Thanks all!

Have the front door speakers got "Canton" written on them, and surely you couldn't have over looked the sub in the boot.... just a thought are you sure you have Canton? thinking back you have to enable canton in the settings to get the different equaliser settings, but I thought Canton was on by default, i may be wrong. Worth checking all the same

Noise cancellation was in the Mk3 Octavia brochure 3 years ago, but no one has identified it as present no matter how high the specification.

39 minutes ago, panmat said:

Have the front door speakers got "Canton" written on them, and surely you couldn't have over looked the sub in the boot.... just a thought are you sure you have Canton? thinking back you have to enable canton in the settings to get the different equaliser settings, but I thought Canton was on by default, i may be wrong. Worth checking all the same

Yes, Canton on the speakers and specified in my dealer handover note.

I may be wrong but on cars other than an L&K was it under one of the front seats?

Sorry see here

Edited by Bud

Okay, I've been to the car. Amazing what you can find when you're paying attention: as advised, there is a big, shiny black plastic box behind the left side cubby cover. I assume that's the subwoofer. But, can anyone tell me what is under the right side cubby cover? Inside, the top of the cubby is a perforated with 1/2" holes. Behind, you can just make out a shiny red metal assembly of some sort. Is it red, because my car is red? Does it have something to do with the tail lights or the fuel filler pipe?

Also, I definitely have the Columbus infotainment system with the Canton speaker option. I have all the branding and the sound-shaping options on the infotainment settings. The search engine took me to online videos and Briskoda discussions of Octavia setups from 2013 and 2015. I'm guessing there may have been active noise cancelling at some point, but maybe no more. Discussions said you couldn't turn it off, anyway. So, no way to compare.

The Dolby 5.1 surround sound must be the surround sound slider, but there is no mention of Dolby within the system. Usually Dolby is carefully trademarked.

I do have an feature that increases the volume as your speed and road noise increase.

There is nothing under my driver's seat. Under the passenger seat is a compartment with a door where I keep my manuals. In the manual, it shows a fire extinguisher in that space.

3 hours ago, freelunch said:

I used to work in advertising.

You've just ruined your credit on this forum.  We can no longer trust a single post you make :tongueout::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is NO NOISE CANCELLATION in Skodas... what you are talking about is the Speed dependent Volume Control that you can adjust... it just sets the Radio louder when you drive faster. 

This was talked about on here since forever... 

The real Noise Cancellation has different Microphones across the Car and then Speaker set to cancel the sound that comes from the outside. Ford Mondeo Vignalle has that and is advertised as such.

Well Skoda clearly state noise cancellation. That terminology shouldn't be used then as it insinuates something that is completely different to speed dependent volume control or GALA, as it's known.  Hence my question as I've seen a few different online articles that specify that Canton has noise cancellation; as in playing a noise cancelling wave that is 180º out of phase with the ambient noises being detected by micophones in the cabin. 

I don't think Skoda would mix up these terms either. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 3.51.41 PM.png

• Like 1

Aha, 'vehicle noise cancellation'. Maybe that is the marketers term for GALA or speed dependant volume control whichever term you prefer?

I am not really bothered as the Canton works well enough for my 'industrial' hearing but I can understand some of you being a bit miffed especially if you paid extra for it. 

@penguin17 That makes me no different than the leader of the free world. Get over it...

Half truths, untruths, alternative truths, bald-faced lies masquerading as truth and which are repeated so often they become truth: My Sportline definitely has noise cancellation. And, I DON'T HAVE TO PROVE THAT!!!

(No it doesn't. Tee-hee.)

I agree with Sagalout: the speed dependant volume seems to be what I have, not noise cancellation. If I'm supposed to have noise cancellation, it doesn't work.

@Sagalout I don't have cloth ears, and trust me (even though I did work in advertising) the Canton sounds very good. (I was going to say "is worth the money" but, in fact, I did not pay for it, it came with the car.

• Like 1

Late to the party but I'll chuck in my 10p's worth....As you've discovered (as we all have) the very grand sounding noise cancellation is just ARSE  -automatic response speed enhancement - bit of a con.

Having said that I'm pleased with mine although I do have the sub at +4, which can make the bass a bit tubby sometimes, what I do like is the lovely sweet spacious open sound it provides that encourages you to turn up the volume.  But one thing that does slightly annoy me though is the rear doors only employ tweeters and midrange, try putting the sound to the back of the cabin and you'll see what I mean it sounds truly awful.  I think tweeters and full range speakers would be better for a fuller sound.  It could probably be adjusted by the crossover but I haven't a clue how to go about that so will have to live with it.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

As owner of a new Superb, I too ran into this question, and found that on this Skoda UK video it says: "acoustic filters dampen engine noise". So to me it sounds like Canton is  dampening specific frequencies on the audio you're listening to based on engine RPM. That sounds trivial to implement as you will end up having only a dozen or so frequency profiles for the whole Superb line.