Bonelorry's Lemon Yellow Daily

bonelorry

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 21:22, bonelorry said:

Thanks, The Timing Belt/Water Pump is getting done in September so I planned on fitting a New Header Tank then.

Only take a few minutes to put a new’un in and they’re cheap as chips! Get it done! 

On 21/03/2018 at 20:19, ballbagsandassholes said:

Only take a few minutes to put a new’un in and they’re cheap as chips! Get it done! 

Fully aware of whats involved to change the Header Tank. 

You are right I could do it in no time but as the Coolant will be getting changed later this Year I am quite happy to leave it until then.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Lofty said:

One of the nicest kept Fabias on the forum, never tire of seeing pics of it! Keep up the good work Simon!

Means a lot coming from you Lofty, Likewise your Sprint Yellow is on another level! 

Thanks Matey :thumbup:

Well after 14 Months of tolerating the Standard Skoda Symphony Head Unit I have bit the bullet and bought a New Single DIN Alpine CDE-203BT Head Unit, I did a lengthy search on here and saw some pictures of a fellow Brisky Member that had fitted an Alpine to his car and it looked spot on.

I will be totally honest I am not really looking to go down the Front Components, Sub and Amp Route just wanted to give a little Improvement over the Stock Head Unit and also so I can play Music from my I-Phone via the USB.

The Car already has the Skoda/Blaupunkt Uprated Rears fitted by the Previous Owner but the has the Stock Fronts and Tweeters, My general findings from fellow members on here was to just leave the Stock Speakers and fit a better Head Unit as this will offer a decent enough improvement. Also that unless you are going down the Component route in the Front its not really worth fitting some 2 Way Coaxial ones into the Doors?

Anyway I will see how I get on with what I have bought when it arrives later this Week.

Oh I also purchased a Genuine Skoda Single DIN Dash Facia/Trim Part No: 6Y0857231B41.

• Like 2

Todays little job...

Removed the Stock Symphony Head Unit, Bought some PC5-107 Removal Keys for this task which I believe fit some Kenwood Head Units? Anyway the old one came out no drama.

Fitted and removed the New Cage a couple of times until I was happy, Initially I pushed it all the way home but it didn't look right when the new H/U and Surround was fitted more specifically the top of the Cubby Tray underneath was slightly on show.

With the new Loom fitted it was pretty snug when pushing the new H/U in and I didn't want to force it, I recall one of my old Fabia VRS's back in 2008 when I fitted a horrendous Sony Xplod H/U and having to move the wiring about to get it to fit. Anyway there was a bit of space at the back on the LHS for the Mulitplugs to go and it slotted in nicely without any force.

I also fitted a PC5-27 ISO to DIN Adaptor for the Radio Antenna, I read on here that sometimes you need a Booster for LW and MW Radio but it picked up the 6 FM Stations I usually have saved into the Pre-Sets so I am happy.

Money well spent though with the new Alpine H/U, Looks spot on in the Car IMO. The Genuine Upper Facia fills the gap and blends in with the rest of the Dashboard too. Sound wise it is like night and day, I paired the I-Phone upto it and after 14 Months of Radio and CD's its a bit of a revelation to listen to Music from my i-Tunes.

So yes, Very happy.

41275484095_ed6c4ae3c6_c.jpg

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

Looks well! I endured 12 months of FM in my black one before I fitted the Apple h/u, like you it was a relief to go back to Spotify etc.

Any more plans for it Simon?

Keep toying with the idea of fitting a Milltek Cat-Back purely for Aesthetics, The OEM Tailpipe I have never been a fan of to be honest.

As you know my Cars are always Money no object but in the case of the Fabia its been faultless so has just had routine Maintenance although I still tend to over Service it, However should something need replacing in the future....EG a Broken Spring, Leaky Shock Absorber or worn Bushes etc I will always look at replacing them with something uprated but with in keeping it subtle but until then I don't want to go throwing money at it for the sake of it if you get me?

Its a Car I have always wanted to keep standard and 14 Months on it still is which is remarkable given how well these Cars respond to a Stage 1 Map, I do feel its nice to have a tidy unmolested example and always think about resale although I doubt it will be getting sold anytime soon.

I have to be realistic though and regardless of how well I look after it I doubt it will never sky rocket in price and it was only ever purchased to be a daily driver and certainly not as an investment, I gave £3000 for it 14 Months ago and would like to think i could probably get that back for it but I do worry if I go down the modifying route....remapping, Suspension etc then it will probably ruin the appeal of the Car to potential buyers.

Will it? I don't really know.

If mine was as immaculate as yours then I wouldn't be modifying it at all. But my lemon yellow has shocking paint and rust blisters on the sills and done just shy of 173k mikes so I feel comfortable doing whatever I want to it as the value isn't there for resale.

I know what you mean Simon. There’s certainly a shortage of truly immaculate standard cars left nowadays and I think where you’ll see reasonable appreciation is by keeping it as OE as possible. Far too many badly modified ones around which only hammers the reputation further. 

Whatever you do, I’d make easily undo able, a very mild map will make it drive a little nicer than standard but without loosing the very low down punch of the standard turbo, and you could easily reflash the standard map back on it. 

Either way i’m sure you’ll do it properly!!

• Like 2

Loving this thread. My 56 has just over 67k and is completely stock bar 312s and a Sony touchscreen head unit. With so many of these cars being ruined, it's good to see an almost stock one on the roads

Pictured before the 312s

31523692_10155432123814599_6195386025494183936_o.jpg

Edited by Yaris
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yaris said:

Loving this thread. My 56 has just over 67k and is completely stock bar 312s and a Sony touchscreen head unit. With so many of these cars being ruined, it's good to see an almost stock one on the roads

Pictured before the 312s

31523692_10155432123814599_6195386025494183936_o.jpg

Yours has yellow handles, is this standard? Mine has black handles as does Bonelorry's.

It looks fantastic by the way! Wish mine was that good condition.

41449743235_5b785de45f_c.jpg
Fabia VRS by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Edited by retro
Photo added

I assumed the colour coded handles are for facelift models? Mine is a 56 plate. 

Yes I love the condition of it. That was the driving force of flying from Inverness to Gatwick to drive it back. 

I don't see any yellow ones on the road. I think they're the best colour to have.

Bit jealous of the xenons and sunroof of this one. 

1 minute ago, Yaris said:

I assumed the colour coded handles are for facelift models? Mine is a 56 plate. 

Yes I love the condition of it. That was the driving force of flying from Inverness to Gatwick to drive it back. 

I don't see any yellow ones on the road. I think they're the best colour to have.

Bit jealous of the xenons and sunroof of this one. 

It could be, good point, mine is a 53 plate. 

That's a bit of a jaunt!

I literally saw 4 Fabia VRS in Thursday, two black, one red and a yellow one.

I definitely want xenons to but too broke to afford them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2018 at 22:47, Yaris said:

Don't you also need the different bumper to have xenons? MOT rules regarding levelling? 

Yeah, if you have Xenons, then the front bumper has washer jets for the lights. Silly, but required by law.

3 hours ago, Brogeur said:

Yeah, if you have Xenons, then the front bumper has washer jets for the lights. Silly, but required by law.

This is not factually correct. The law states that the washer jets must work only, not that they are a requirement to be fitted with Xenons. I know as I have Xenons and no washer jets fitted for the last few years and not MOT failure for not having them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jars said:

This is not factually correct. The law states that the washer jets must work only, not that they are a requirement to be fitted with Xenons. I know as I have Xenons and no washer jets fitted for the last few years and not MOT failure for not having them. 

Thats interesting to know. Cheers for clearing that up! XENONS AWAY!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone hope you are well?

Been a few Months since I last posted, I still have the Fabia and it is still proving to be a great little Car.

Now coming upto 78K Miles and next Month is a Year since it had its Major Service so I have booked it in with my Ex-Vag Mechanic to do the following...

Interim Service/Oil & Filter Change

Timing Belt and Water Pump, G13 Coolant

New Aux/Drive Belt

New Header Tank and Cap (for Aesthetics)

The Timing Belt was last done 4 Years ago and even though its not done anywhere near the 60K Mileage it is obviously due, I have yet to get the Parts but will be using Genuine VAG items from TPS.

Sadly though since June the Fabia has been getting very little use, I have lost my secure and Free Car Parking space in Sheffield for approx the next 6 Months and I refuse to Park in a Public Car Park or leave it on a Street somewhere so was forced to find alternative transport. I work shifts as a Train Driver and very often start before the first Bus/Tram/Train when on Mornings and the same goes for when I finish at Night, Plus I live in the sticks about 10 Miles from my workplace so decided to get a little Motorbike to commute on.

So I now have the Fabia VRS and 2 Motorcycles, My 180BHP 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R B4H for Fun/Summer use and when I want to scare myself :D & a little Kawasaki ER5 500CC Twin for Commuting on.

I have toyed on and off with the idea of selling the Fabia not for financial reasons but because its seems a waste having it sat in the Garage and at present doing only 50 Miles a Week as its only getting used in my Spare time but I am hoping the current situation will be sorted in 6 Months and I will get Parking back again. Plus I know the Fabia inside out and have total faith in the Car, It wants for nothing as everything has been replaced and I would never find another like it so should really keep it.

So that is whats happening at the moment!

• Like 3

On 16/08/2018 at 11:55, Adam_ said:

Future classic. Especially in this condition. 

Future as in about 10-20 years!

They only stopped making the MK1 VRS' 11 years ago.

Current classics (Mk1/2 Golf GTi / RS Turbos / 205 GTi etc) are at least 28 years old! 
Even 106 GTi's are around 18-20 years old.

A while yet.