Bonelorry's Lemon Yellow Daily

bonelorry

On 15/09/2017 at 18:19, wolfsburger said:

Very reasonable indeed, do you need to be a trader to purchase from TPS?

I did used to be a Manager at a Garage located a few Streets away from my local TPS and the chap who works there knows me from there even though I left the Motor Trade in 2014, I think you can walk in off the Street though but as Lofty said they can be picky about who they sell to! My friend who has a Golf and Corrado VR6 wanted a few obscure bits which required some considerable time to locate on their system and they refused to sell to him.

I do know that the TPS I use is more of a Satellite hub and you cannot contact it by Telephone unlike the main TPS at Chesterfield, He gets funny if you don't have the part numbers to hand and just walk in asking for hard to find parts on his system. You can ring the Chesterfield hub and get parts ordered and delivered to the Hillsborough branch and then collect and pay for them there which he doesn't seem to mind.

18/9/17...

Dropped the Car off at my Friends Garage yesterday morning for the Full Service and Rear Discs & Pads, As you know I usually do everything myself on my Cars but decided to let him do the whole lot as I have been a bit pressed for time of-late and have a lot of family stuff going on at the moment.

He is one of the very few People I trust to do work on my own cars, Over 30 Years experience and worked for VW before setting up on his own so knows the PD Engine and Polo/Fabia Platform very well. I always use him for MOT's too as he is very thorough....He even failed his own Car once!

He went through absolutely everything on the Fabia and confirmed it is a very good example both Cosmetically and Mechanically, The only things he mentioned was that the Brake Fluid is getting ready for changing and that the Battery although OK came up as an advisory on his tester. I was right to replace the Rear Discs and Pads as they where certainly past there best, He confirmed the Rear Calipers where fine and the Pistons went straight back so all good in that department.

So with the above in mind over the next Month and with Winter fast coming up I am going to do the following...

Fit a New Varta 096 E44 Battery

Carry out a Brake Fluid Change using ATE TYP 200 Dot 4, I really rate this Brake Fluid and have used it on many previous Cars.

Couple of snaps from yesterday...

I even cleaned it prior to dropping it off...

37177084911_eae07bd887_c.jpg

Inner edges where knackered...

37177084981_d142e1725b_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, pee81 said:

You selling it now? :D

No, Just see no point in continuing with the Thread. I wont be doing anything with the Fabia regarding Modifications so future updates are going to be very limited and probably boring.

Thanks to all that contributed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 months later...

Firstly I hope you are all well!

So I know in October I said I was calling it a day with the Thread but I thought I would I would give you guys a little update as I cannot stay away for too long LOL....

I still have the Fabia :o (I know) and it is still an awesome little Car! Coming up to 1 Year of Ownership in a few Weeks which for me is remarkable, 3 Months is the normal going rate. Don't get me wrong I have very nearly come close to letting the Fabia go at the back end of last Year in favour of a MK6 Golf GTD or 2010-2012 Octavia VRS TDI but talked myself out of it every-time as the way I see it is why buy something else that is 4-5 Times the value and that does the same job? 

While ever the Fabia remains reliable and I enjoy driving it then I doubt it will be going anywhere.

So what have I been upto?

Not a great deal, The Fabia has never put a foot wrong over the Winter period and currently is on about 74000 Miles. So far I have done around 6000 Miles in it over a 12 Month period so not that much. It still averages around 54MPG and on a recent 220 Mile round trip to Cambridgeshire averaged 60MPG there and back via the A1 so all good in that department.

I have had a few annoying Trim Vibrations which I have sorted out, One was the Glove Box, One was the Engine Cover and another was the Air-Box which was not correctly seated on its Peg and was resonating around 2000RPM. All sorted though now however you could never call the Fabia refined especially with the PD Motor!

I dug the 15" Steelies and Winter Tyres out last October and these are still currently fitted, The Alloys which where Refurbished last March where Deep Cleaned, All old Balance Weights removed, Waxed and stuck in the Garage. Where I live we have had some pretty bad Snow and even at 4am in the Morning I have managed to get too and from Work with no drama's.

MOT time...

It was MOT time a few Weeks ago and I used the same chap who carried out the Major Service last September, He is very thorough and I was happy when he said it flew through with nothing at all to note! Happy days :)

As mentioned a while back the Fabia was getting ready for a Brake Fluid change and a New Battery so while the car was in his Workshop we did the following...

Full Brake Fluid Change using ATE TYP 200 DOT 4

Fitted a New Varta Silver Dynamic E44 Battery, 780CC/77AH Top Spec

All fitted 2 x New Front Bosch Wipers 21"/19" and a new Genuine Rear Wiper

Next up Mechanically will be another Service in September although it will be just an Oil and Filter change next time, Also due is the Timing Belt as this was last done in 2014 and I am going on a 4 Year or 60K Miles. I will be getting a Genuine Timing Belt Kit along with a Genuine Water Pump and G13 Coolant.

New Tyres...

The OEM Alloys currently have Hankook V12 Evo 2's fitted, 2 off the Front are down to 3mm and to be honest I have never been that impressed with them. I knew I would need a set before I refitted the Alloys in March and always usually buy top spec Tyres. I considered getting some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's but to be honest and I am not been tight I just couldn't warrant the cost so have decided to give the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's a try. I know the wear rate isn't great but considering they are on the car for 6 Months a Year and will do no more than 3-4K before the Winters go back on I will probably never wear them out in my ownership plus I will rotate them.

Also I must be getting more sensible with age as the difference in cost has paid for the Road Tax which is also due in March LOL.

I got the Uniroyals from the same chap who I used last Year when I had the Golf R and got the Team Dynamics Pro Race and Michelin PS4's off, I paid about £10 more than I could have got them from Camskill but I like to support local business if I can plus I don't have to wait in for them to be delivered which is a big bonus for me.

New Pressure Washer...

I have endeavoured to carry on with the Weekly washing but time constraints, Shift work and crappy Weather have not allowed for me to spend the many Hours I would like to on the Fabia, Plus within a few Miles of driving its looked no better with all the Salt and Wet Roads. However you know me and if I have not had much time I have still continued to give the Car a little clean just to get the worse off and the Salt!

For my Birthday my other half bought me a Karcher K2 with Car Kit, Autobrite HD Foam Lance and Autobrite Magifoam Pre Wash Foam and so I have been really impressed with it. It has certainly helped out over the Winter and I if time has been tight the Car has still at least had a Rinse, Snow Foam Pre-Wash, Rinse, 2 Bucket Wash and Towel Dry as a Minimum.

20/2/18...

So today as I had a little more time I gave the Car the following...

Full thorough Rinse including Wheel Arches and Sill Bottoms

Pre-Wash using Autobrite Magifoam 

Full Rinse

2-Bucket Wash using Megs Shampoo

Towel Dried

Wiped All Bodywork with Quick Detailer Spray and Micrfibre

AG Fast Glass on all Windows

Gave the Tailpipe a Quick Polish using Autosol

I Waxed it near the back end of Last Year using Collinites but this has practically worn off now and the Car is getting ready for another Decontamination as it has been a Year so in March prior to refitting the Alloys and New Tyres I have a Week off will be giving the Fabia a Full Detail including Full Paint Decontamination/Fall out and Tar removal, Single Stage Machine Polish, Wheel Arch and Brake Caliper Detail, Engine Bay Clean/Detail, Apply a fresh Coat of Wax.

I will post on here the Durings and afters for you all.

Thats about it.

39671768384_8c0edb586a_c.jpg

39671767414_f6d39eacef_c.jpg

40382632571_68e4297c5e_c.jpg

39485840025_5a18a1241c_c.jpg

39485839315_8f70ed3845_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, broguer said:

I just flogged my yellow one, and bought a Golf GTD DSG.

Best move you could make!

Best move in what respect?

Is it a MK6 or MK7?

Bought or Leased?

Does it do more to the Gallon?

Will it be anymore reliable?

Is it cheaper to Maintain?

How many more Thousands of Pounds will it cost to buy?

Will it get me too and from Work any quicker bearing in mind there are 14 sets of Traffic Lights to contend with on my Commute?

How heavily will it depreciate compared to the Fabia bearing in mind Fabia VRS Prices are at Rock bottom?

Yes I know Golfs are better built, I sold a Golf R DSG last Year and replaced it with the Fabia...Never regretted it. My comments regarding looking to change was just through boredom and as said I usually change every 3 Months so I cannot help myself however this time I talked myself out of it.

8 minutes ago, broguer said:

MK6

Bought

Same mpg

Pot luck on reliability 

Pot luck on money to maintain 

No quicker arguably more comfier and refined

Depreciate more of course, but get the right one, right spec, right price etc

Looked at MK6 Golf GTD's as mentioned, Would have been paying around £12K for the GTD I wanted Age/Spec/Mileage that although I would have gone for a Manual as I never totally got on with the DSG box on the Golf R.

I am still not sold on the idea of getting one though, Ofcourse the Fabia is a big Downgrade from the MK6 Golf R DSG I owned but then a MK6 Golf GTD is a downgrade from the Golf R too No disrespect. For me to sell to Fabia and then pay another £9-10000 on top it would have to be for something pretty special and I just know I would be very disappointed replacing the Fabia with something that does a similar job but paying a fortune more for the privilege.

I am past the stage of caring what other people think about the Car I drive, Its not about finances just choice.

Cars although are still a big interest of mine are not my main hobby anymore, I am equally as interested in Motorbikes these days so do a bit with both.

Never say never, I might change my mind one day but for now the Fabia is here to stay for the foreseeable :)

Yeah all horses for courses, if you have the money and want to spend then...

right model, right price, right everything, might not make you much of a loss if kept for a year or 18 months. 

Not so how much you put in, as long as you’re getting the right deal you should a lot of it back.

Keep the Fabia it looks amazing and all credit to you. I regretted selling mine and getting the Audi S1. Have now got a track car Fiesta ST and have the Citigo for a daily so best of both worlds really.

All down to what you want from a car.

• Like 2

I'm on my second fabia with a ten year gap in between. I still think for the price of them you can't get better value for money. They are the perfect all round car for me. 

Cheap to buy 

Cheap to maintain 

Cheap to run 

Enough grunt for day to day 

IMO still a smart looking car 10+ years later

Jack of all trades, master of none which suits what I need the car for at the present moment. 

• Like 2

27/2/17...

Well the Rainsport 3's are now fitted onto the Alloys and as usual with my OCD all the Tyres are lined up in the same position with the Valves, Helps when you personally know the chap who is fitting them as he also has an OCD and takes Care when fitting the Tyres not to mark the Alloys.

Considering they where Refurbished last March they still look absolutely fresh and are still totally unmarked! I have given them a Final Coat of Collinites 845 and now have 12 Days off Work however this Week is not looking too great Weather wise and today it is Snowing, Hailing and -2 Where I live so fitting the Alloys will have to wait until Next Week when it warms up a bit.

Had a delivery from CleanYourCar this Morning who since about 2015 I have been using for all my Detailing products which included some New Hexlogic 5.5" White and Red Machine Polishing Pads, A new Bottle of Collinites 845, Some Fresh Medium Clay Bars, New Bottles of Carpro Tar-x and Iron-x.

Plan is to Remove the Steelies, Put the Car on Axle Stands and give it a Full Paint Decontamination which as mentioned will be next Week probably :)

• Like 2

5/3/18...

Well the Weathers been absolute garbage over the past Week but the little Fabia has done well! I finished the Week off with a 200 Mile trip to my Dads near Peterborough and as of yesterday the Car looked like this...

38832176530_8c546e8dd2_c.jpg

I decided that I was going to make a start on a Major Clean/Detail this Afternoon and did the following...

Full thorough Rinse including Wheel Arches and Sill Bottoms using Karcher K2

Pre-Wash using Autobrite Magifoam, Left for 5 Minutes to Dwell

Full Rinse

2-Bucket Wash using Megs Shampoo & Lambswool Mitt

Towel Dried

Applied Carpro Iron-X fallout remover, Left for 5 Mins, Agitated with a Soft Sponge

Thoroughly Rinsed

Towel Dried

Applied Carpro Tar-X, Left for 5 Mins

Thoroughly Rinsed

2 Bucket Wash again

Clayed using Meguiars Medium Clay and Quick Detailer Spray as Lubricant

Rinsed

Towel Dried

Car was then Pulled into the Garage...

Masked all Window Rubbers, Black Plastics etc

Single Stage Machine Polish using DAS6-Pro, Meguiars 205 Finishing Polish and Hexlogic White Pad

Hand Polished all Door Shuts and Sill Bottoms using Autoglym Super Resin Polish

2 x Coats of Collinites 845 Apllied, Bottle left in Bucket of Warm Water to help liquefy Wax. Applied using D/A and Hexlogic Red Pad

Final Wipe over with Elite Buffing Towel and Quick Detailer Spray 

AG Fast Glass on all Windows

AG Glass Polish on all Windows except Front Screen

Engine Bay given a De-Grease using GT85 and Microfibre

Dressed using Aerospace 303 and Microfibre to wipe off excess

Thats it for today, Tomorrow fingers crossed the Alloys will be getting fitted...

Couple of snaps from todays efforts...

38832177920_8a723eb71d_c.jpg

Iron-X working its magic, This was last done 12 Months ago and it is amazing how much contamination is on the Paint! Definitely wanted doing...

26770773468_0ee3a7cd0a_c.jpg

25771493207_fba71db78c_c.jpg

Onto the Tar-X...

38832179210_4d3cd4d9cc_c.jpg

This was after doing the entire Car, The Clay removed hardly anything from the Paintwork. Just shows how good the Iron-X & Tar-X are...

25771494877_9fc0f606e3_c.jpg

Into the Garage, Time for some DAS-6 Pro treatment...

26770774458_71ae48ef5b_c.jpg

Since the Car had a 2-Stage last Year aim was just to do a Minor Cut and Clean up the Paint, Megs 205 and White Hex Pad did the trick...

39932423604_dde51fd1a7_c.jpg

2 x Coats of the old faithful Collinites, Massive fan of this Wax! Goes on really easily with the D/A too! The Red Hex Pad is designed for applying Glazes and Waxes and is ultra soft with no Cut...

26770772158_b6318e73ed_c.jpg

Sills where both Washed, Rinsed, De-Tarred and then Hand Polished...

39932422474_8c3ee96b97_c.jpg

Finally the Engine Bay was given some TLC...

26770774588_987f0c2688_c.jpg

38832178040_faee38508e_c.jpg

• Like 1

6/3/18...

Had another few Hours on the Fabia yesterday and did a few Finishing touches, All done now and looking in good form again! Really happy with it :)

Winter Steels removed, Car put on Axle Stands.

Wheel Arch liners & Mudflaps Dressed using Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care.

Alloys given 2 x Coats of Collinites Wax.

New set of 205/45R16 Uniroyal Rainsport Tyres.

Brake Calipers Cleaned, These where Repainted last Year.

Brake Disc Hubs given a coat of Hammerite Smooth Silver.

Finished Article...

Just to add, For a 13 Year old Daily Driver its not bad at all!

40668997621_f22cee9c77_c.jpg

25798312617_85398639d0_c.jpg

25798311937_2bb6f39df4_c.jpg

40626982762_a33e56c984_c.jpg

25798313987_376937af73_c.jpg

25798310947_14b97d1fe9_c.jpg

25798309537_a59de6da07_c.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ste372 said:

Looks stunning considering the car is 14 years old. One thing though when are you replacing the coolant tank? 

Thanks, The Timing Belt/Water Pump is getting done in September so I planned on fitting a New Header Tank then.