Bolero - adding DAB

Just wondered if anyone knew if all Bolero Infotainment systems have DAB fitted or if it's only an option?  If the latter can it be retrofitted before buying second hand?

Thanks for the help - appreciated.

Any thoughts on this please?  Have spoken to 3 different dealers this week and got 3 different answers....

The Kenwood after market system is an option but the naff aerial is an issue.  I just can't seem to get an answer as to whether you can just whip out the Bolero and put in something like, say, Amundsen or Columbus.

If anyone has a definitive answer I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks!!

It may help if you update which car you'd like it to fit as the Bolero has come in more than one guise. 

Most older headunits can be upgraded but there may be the occasional side issue depending on what the replacement is. 

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

It may help if you update which car you'd like it to fit as the Bolero has come in more than one guise. 

Most older headunits can be upgraded but there may be the occasional side issue depending on what the replacement is. 

It's a 2015 Yeti TDi (150) SE L DSG.

On 09/03/2017 at 16:16, Rustynuts said:

2015 could well be the new MIB version. Post a pic of the head unit, or find one on Google which looks like yours.

This is an example of the existing unit.  This week we've had chats with maybe 5 dealers all of whom have said it can only be done via the Kenwood aftermarket unit with subsequent loss of pretty much every steering wheel and OE function there is.

2017-03-15 21.20.41.jpg

Yep, that's the MIB version. Unfortunately the units are equipped with (or suffer from) Component Protection which means you can't just buy another and install it, it'll just lock itself and become a brick.

You can possibly go for an older unit such as a Columbus or Amundsen + unit from the last generation of cars, with a bit of fiddling they will fit and work, but something such as you currently have is more complicated I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Yep, that's the MIB version. Unfortunately the units are equipped with (or suffer from) Component Protection which means you can't just buy another and install it, it'll just lock itself and become a brick.

You can possibly go for an older unit such as a Columbus or Amundsen + unit from the last generation of cars, with a bit of fiddling they will fit and work, but something such as you currently have is more complicated I'm afraid.

Thank you.  It's actually pretty ridiculous that it's so complex isn't it?

There are a couple of sellers on a well known auction site who claim to have new, clean, coded Columbus DAB units.  I assume that they'd also suffer from the same kinds of prohibition you mention?

The new Columbus MIB unit won't fit mate. What you have there is a single piece, double din sized head unit connected strainght into the dash. The MIB Columbus unitis a 2 piece affair with just a screen in the place of the unit there, and a second drive unit in the glove box. Fitting one will be a chew to get the drive unit to fit somewhere it's not designed to go, and the display unit is also a different fitting so will need some cobbling to make it fit. Then there's the cost (about £1500 for an unlocked ready to fit unit), then there's the issue of trying to make it work correctly.

However, the older Columbus units are designed for the older generation of cars and need a wiring loom to adapt them to fit, and then some coding to make them (hopefully) work correctly.

You don't state your location, but if you're near North Yorks you're welcome to stop round my place and we'll pop a DAB unit in and see how it fits and works. There's a secondary complication whichever way you go of needing to source a DAB antenna, but that's easy enough to find a way round if we can get past the other issues.

Edited by Rustynuts

3 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

The new Columbus MIB unit won't fit mate. What you have there is a single piece, double din sized head unit connected strainght into the dash. The MIB Columbus unitis a 2 piece affair with just a screen in the place of the unit there, and a second drive unit in the glove box. Fitting one will be a chew to get the drive unit to fit somewhere it's not designed to go, and the display unit is also a different fitting so will need some cobbling to make it fit. Then there's the cost (about £1500 for an unlocked ready to fit unit), then there's the issue of trying to make it work correctly.

However, the older Columbus units are designed for the older generation of cars and need a wiring loom to adapt them to fit, and then some coding to make them (hopefully) work correctly.

You don't state your location, but if you're near North Yorks you're welcome to stop round my place and we'll pop a DAB unit in and see how it fits and works. There's a secondary complication whichever way you go of needing to source a DAB antenna, but that's easy enough to find a way round if we can get past the other issues.

That's very kind of you to offer I really appreciate but looks like I'll have to give up on this one and look at one of the adaptor types. An OEM one just looks like too much messing.

I am just keen to avoid loads of wires and it looking untidy.  Ideally I wanted to forego the windscreen antenna but I may have to live with that.  I have seen this that appears to do everything I want it to and enables all the steering wheel controls and is used through the existing head unit so may give that a look:

http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/dab-digital-car-radio/skoda-dab/connects2-auto-dab-digital-dab-oem-radio-tuner-for-skoda-ctdab-sk1

(I have no affiliation to this Company - just came up after Googling).

I would need to make sure it doesn't interfere with any of the existing functions but a quick chat with them today indicated not......

Any thoughts - may be a good half way house?

Thanks again.

No thoughts on that type of add on unit. Not had anything to do with them I'm afraid.

As far as the old style Columbus into the new style cars, it's been done before and isn't too much of an arse on really, just I've not done one myself.

Although, looking at the Compatibility page for the add on unit, they're only listing the older style units by the look of things. Not sure if they support the newer MIB units, as they don't specifically list them.

Edited by Rustynuts

8 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Although, looking at the Compatibility page for the add on unit, they're only listing the older style units by the look of things. Not sure if they support the newer MIB units, as they don't specifically list them.

I asked that question today and they confirmed they do support the new units so, at face value, that looks like it may be the least hassle option. It's not ideal and I feel like it's a bit of a throwback to the 90's with the add on stuff but looks like there's a dearth of options.

Edit:  Now turns out the above solution doesn't work after all with the later model Yeti.

However - I have arrived at quite a practical solution having tried a rechargeable pocket DAB radio.  You can use the headphone out on the device with the 'AUX in' on the car and keep it charged using the USB socket whilst in use.  Works perfectly and a low cost, no messing solution.

:biggrin:

5 hours ago, Paulq said:

Edit:  Now turns out the above solution doesn't work after all with the later model Yeti.

I had a feeling that was going to be the case.

Edit: They don't appear to have changed their compatibility page though.

Edited by Rustynuts

6 hours ago, Paulq said:

However - I have arrived at quite a practical solution having tried a rechargeable pocket DAB radio.  You can use the headphone out on the device with the 'AUX in' on the car and keep it charged using the USB socket whilst in use.  Works perfectly and a low cost, no messing solution.

:biggrin:

If you don't mind, do you have a link to the pocket radio at all?, as this may be a short term cure for my son with his car until his new car comes later in the year.

Sorry to jump in on your thread,

Phil.

53 minutes ago, kentphil1 said:

If you don't mind, do you have a link to the pocket radio at all?, as this may be a short term cure for my son with his car until his new car comes later in the year.

Sorry to jump in on your thread,

Phil.

Sure Phil it's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MCQPSGA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1C1X92Z60KCLT&coliid=I3P1KVMFKMXGK4

All you need is a 3.5mm to a 3.5mm lead - that acts as the aerial.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.