Hi

My temp gauge is not working - if it is the sender is that on the water pump and do i need to replace the whole water pump? Car runs fine and not hot/cold so i 'm assuming pump ok. Anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks

Gerard

Hi,

first try to look at this : 

You should also check the upper radiator hose and the lower hose. If both get warm at the same time you only need to replace the thermostat.

Gerard

There is no coolant temp. sender (CTS) on the water pump. What you assume to be the water pump, it is in fact the thermostat housing. Now let's clear something else. Does the needle of the temp. gauge move at all? I mean, after 15 minutes from cold start, does the needle move a bit? Let's say to 70 deg C? Or is it totally inert?

It is usually the coolant temp. sender (CTS) that fails. Yet you have to measure its resistance with an ohmmeter to gather evidence. Do you have one and know how to use it?

One other thing could be corrosion in the CTS connector.

How did the T gauge stop working? Gradually? All of a sudden? Any event related?

I have a multi-meter if thats what you mean? Not sure how to set it to test this so if you can explain that would be appreciated. I bought the car recently and the gauge has never worked.

Thanks

Looks like this is what you need a genuine one do check out there is a new black O ring they are easy to change http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-FELICIA-1-3-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-WITH-TEMP-SENDER-047121111A-/331752712227?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AFelicia&hash=item4d3e00a823:g:NlsAAOSwFqJWlSJs

If your car has a high mileage then it's worth changing, you can get cheaper ones but I always try to go for the genuine one, mine was working Ok but as my Felicia has done 85,000 miles I have had from new, so I purchased one off EBay for £25.00 it's worth just changing it and I have a spare that I know works ok.

mike

What if there is a simple wiring problem? What if the T gauge is faulty? And so on.

We should be smarter than the army of parts changers from other forums or car shops. Find evidence first. Buy later. I know I've said the CTS is usually the most probable cause. But what if statistics fails in farnhamg's case? He would have a 35 quids loss.

I understand RicardoM I have had my Felicia from new and im love it and well it has never let me down being a old guy now (73) I came from a era when we repared things and they had to last today it all the great through away, I think that when my cars running ok I will change a part for something new orignal part like one would treat someone you love to a new item. You are right not every one thinks like me. I wont go on this is not helping farmhang sort out his problem.

One last thing in my garage I have stored some great bargains from EBay how about a gen Skoda Felicia rear box for £8.00 inc p/p stamped Skoda. Just hoping one day these great cars will be sort after not look at as only good for ones first car or scrap at the moment im happy no one wants them it helps me get the bargains.

How to use a multimeter to check the CTS

1. Set the multimeter switch to 20k position (Ω range) to measure resistors.
  2. Black probe inserted to COM post, red probe inserted to V/Ω post. See photo 1.
  3. Remove the connector of the CTS. See photo 2.
  4. Measure on terminals 2 and 4. The resistance should vary according to the temperature of the coolant. See table below.

0 C --> 2.5 - 3.25 kOhm
5 C --> 2 - 2.5 kOhm
10 C -> 1.62 - 2.25 kOhm
15 C -> 1.37 - 1.75 kOhm
20 C -> 1.12 - 1.5 kOhm
25 C -> 1 - 1.25 kOhm
30 C -> 0.75 - 1 kOhm
35 C -> 0.62 - 0.87 kOhm
40 C -> 0/45 - 0.62 kOhm
45 C -> 0.4 - 0.55 kOhm
50 C -> 350 - 475 Ohm
55 C -> 300 - 400 Ohm
60 C -> 262 - 337 Ohm
65 C -> 225 - 287 Ohm
70 C -> 200 - 250 Ohm
75 C -> 162 - 212 Ohm
80 C -> 137 - 187 Ohm
85 C -> 125 - 162 Ohm
90 C -> 100 - 150 Ohm
95 C -> 87 - 125 Ohm
100 C > 75 - 112 Ohm

639NRiZ.jpg

PIArWqR.jpg

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, farnhamg said:

I feel stupid but stuck in traffic just noticed the gauge does move, up to about 70. 

Like so.

Xqi51Ga.jpg

Well then, it's time to buy a new thermostat. The old one is stuck open. Most probable like in the photo below.

bJ4BVtp.jpg

See here for testing a faulty thermostat.

Solution: buy a new thermostat and its housing as a whole.

• Like 1