Is the stereo any good?

2 minutes ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Just out of interest - are you cash buying or PCP / HP? If it's the latter then a £600 option would have a negligible impact on your monthlies / deposit?

Just a thought.

True  -  but as I keep trying to remind my wife, even bargains cost money. It'll not add much to my costs - but I set myself a budget and I'm sticking to it.  A nice stereo would be nice, but I have to remain grounded. It's not that important really. I've listened to it, and it's OK. It'll do the job...  I'm not worried. I'm getting a whole lot more car than I currently have and I'm grateful for that.

What you need to go is take all your extras off and go for a 280 :-D Then you can leave all the windows open and listen to the howl of the engine !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

What you need to go is take all your extras off and go for a 280 :-D Then you can leave all the windows open and listen to the howl of the engine !

20k miles per year - no car allowance or fuel card. No ta. £££!!!  (but it'd be nice...)

5 minutes ago, jimcallaghan said:

True  -  but as I keep trying to remind my wife, even bargains cost money. It'll not add much to my costs - but I set myself a budget and I'm sticking to it.  A nice stereo would be nice, but I have to remain grounded. It's not that important really. I've listened to it, and it's OK. It'll do the job...  I'm not worried. I'm getting a whole lot more car than I currently have and I'm grateful for that.

I wish I had your discipline haha! 

6 minutes ago, jimcallaghan said:

The standard stereo is pretty good I think -with a decent source at least. I might try the free trial of Tidal to see if it is noticeably different (I doubt it in a car with various other noises muddying the sound anyway).

3 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

You're not gonna convince me mate. I fully feel it - and know where you're coming from. I'd like it - and if it were WAY cheaper I'd have gone there - but it's £600! It does not sound £600 better. £600 would get me some AMAZING headphones and a new stereo for the house...  I have to prioritise. I've spent too much. Maybe I shouldn't have the 19" Sirius wheels... ;-)    bugger it.  I stand by my decision.  By many standards it's quite a good setup. Not by Bose standards. Within a month I'll have forgot what the Bose was like. And I'll be £600 better off. (I'm convincing myself ha ha!)

I would definitely have gone for Canton over Sirius wheels. I test drove a mazda 6 before ordering the superb and was disappointed at the quality of the sound. I ordered the canton and an very happy with the quality. After the test drive I looked on the internet above the mazda 6 bose system and found loads of comments that it was poor. Interesting your car had a good system. 

2 minutes ago, Speedman said:

I would definitely have gone for Canton over Sirius wheels. I test drove a mazda 6 before ordering the superb and was disappointed at the quality of the sound. I ordered the canton and an very happy with the quality. After the test drive I looked on the internet above the mazda 6 bose system and found loads of comments that it was poor. Interesting your car had a good system. 

hmmm - yeah - loved mine. I'm no audiophile but I've got a good stereo at home and I know what sounds OK and what's crappy. Horses for courses I suppose ;-)

5 minutes ago, Mon55 said:

The standard stereo is pretty good I think -with a decent source at least. I might try the free trial of Tidal to see if it is noticeably different (I doubt it in a car with various other noises muddying the sound anyway).

Tidal?  I'm old... what's Tidal?

I was seriously considering Canton as an option, but then learned that KESSY is a pre-requisite.  As I didn't need KESSY, it was effectively costing me another £1,000 for Canton.  I couldn't justify that.

6 hours ago, walrus said:

I was seriously considering Canton as an option, but then learned that KESSY is a pre-requisite.  As I didn't need KESSY, it was effectively costing me another £1,000 for Canton.  I couldn't justify that.

Yes I'd spotted that. If it's true, then that's the upgrade off the list. £600 I would have gone for but not £1000 - KESSY doesn't appeal really and if I was going to stump a grand on options, they wouldn't be the ones.

11 hours ago, Twelvebears said:

Yes I'd spotted that. If it's true, then that's the upgrade off the list. £600 I would have gone for but not £1000 - KESSY doesn't appeal really and if I was going to stump a grand on options, they wouldn't be the ones.

In which case it was never gonna happen. Disappointing that my Mazda (2011model) had equivalent KESSY as standard - as do many less expensive cars these days. I was a little disappointed on the test drive to be handed a regular key (1st world problems, eh!) when so many are using keyless now. Every cloud - I always lose the bloody Mazda key - the Skoda one will be in the ignition where I left it... ;-)       ~ Don't make me regret not buying the similarly priced, better spec Kia Optima Estate...

Edited by jimcallaghan

On 3/16/2017 at 12:59, walrus said:

I ordered with canton and without kessy, but it came with kessy - whether the work lease contract worked it in or Skoda allowed it I don't know - both have been great. I did a basic sound test before buying that made the decision, since then only listened to classical and audiobooks, very pleased. Had 3 series standard and A3 sportback unbadged upgrade previous, canton being an improvement on those.

On 16/3/2017 at 09:29, jimcallaghan said:

You're not gonna convince me mate. I fully feel it - and know where you're coming from. I'd like it - and if it were WAY cheaper I'd have gone there - but it's £600! It does not sound £600 better. £600 would get me some AMAZING headphones and a new stereo for the house...  I have to prioritise. I've spent too much. Maybe I shouldn't have the 19" Sirius wheels... ;-)    bugger it.  I stand by my decision.  By many standards it's quite a good setup. Not by Bose standards. Within a month I'll have forgot what the Bose was like. And I'll be £600 better off. (I'm convincing myself ha ha!)

I like your attitude, I think it's the best way of looking at it.  I was the same myself and I don't miss Canton now as you quickly forget previous experiences and focus on what you have now 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - quick update before the thread gets closed. It's actually a really good setup. I've loaded an SD card with some good quality .mp3 files. It does a really nice thing with the album covers scrolling across the screen - fancy...  It sounds good - more than adequate. Not as good as the Bose of course, but it's not half bad at all... :-)   and it's MUCH shinier than the Mazda!!

superb1.png

• Like 4