Spare wheels?

I'm using the Skoda configurator to spec up a new Superb L&k Estate, when I specify that I want a temporary steel spare wheel the configurator insists that I must also select a variable boot floor!

Is this actually the case and is it caused by the depth of the temporary steel spare wheel?

I noticed that if I select to have a the space-saver spare wheel there is no requirement for the variable boot floor which makes bme think that is indeed the reason.

Can anybody confirm if I do in fact need the variable boot floor if I choose the 'proper' spare wheel please?

Edited by Derek_Mac

I collected my L & K estate on Saturday.  I indeed have a temporary space saver spare wheel and the variable boot floor, I went for both on my specification.  But then I have a 280.  I think the boot floor is too shallow as it has the 4 wheel drive mechanism at the back and this raises the hollow for the wheel.

I am looking at the brochure, have a check on line, this saids something different.

If you want a temporary spare wheel, not available on 280 or with a variable boot floor.

Temporary space saver spare wheel, only available on 280 or with the variable boot floor.  

Which model of L & K are you looking at?

• Like 1

I have SE version collected in March 2017 and I have steel spare wheel 16 inch 205/55/r16 on car with 215/55/r17 wheels, with no variable boot floor. So it seems even the steel wheel is not full size in smaller rim size so you know. The online configurator showed I needed variable floor but when speaking with dealer at order time he advised there is no need for it.

I was told if you want variable boot floor, then you need space saver wheel, otherwise not.

There is an old thread about spare wheel sizes if you will look for it.

Edited by kewals
  • Like 2

I'm actually looking at a  standard 150 TDI CR L&K, in saying that, I was looking at a new 4wd TDI 150 SE Executive on Sunday and it had a temporary spare wheel without the variable floor.

Not long after I posted my question here I phoned the garage to confirm that fact.

Maybe the 280 has a larger diff?

Edited by Derek_Mac

4 minutes ago, kewals said:

I have SE version collected in March 2017 and I have steel spare wheel 16 inch 205/55/r16 on car with 215/55/r17 wheels, with no variable boot floor. So it seems even the steel wheel is not full size. The online configurator showed I needed variable floor but when speaking with dealer at order time he advised there is no need for it.

I was told if you want variable boot floor, then you need space saver wheel.

There is an old thread about spare wheel sizes if you will look for it.

Thanks for the info, you've confirmed what I've been told after posting my question. :)

I thought that the temporary steel spare maybe wasn't full size when I saw the '50' stickers on one in a picture somewhere.

I'll have a look at that other thread for further info.

11 minutes ago, Derek_Mac said:

I'm actually looking at a  standard 150 TDI CR L&K, in saying that, I was looking at a new 4wd TDI 150 SE Executive on Sunday and it had a temporary spare wheel without the variable floor.

Not long after I posted my question here I phoned the garage to confirm that fact.

Maybe the 280 has a larger diff?

The 280 needs minimum of 17” wheels to clear the brakes.

The 150 (and indeed my 190) comes with a 205/55/16” spare and no variable boot floor is needed.

• Like 2