evo magazine buying guide

Hi,

I write the buying guides for evo magazine, and they've asked me to put together a guide to the Mk2 Fabia vRS. I need someone with plenty of experience of the model to talk me through the the things you need to look out for, and also to describe what it's like to live with one, the plus and minus points.

Hoping someone here might be able to help me out with this. Very happy to give a nice big plug for briskoda.net in return.

If you could drop me a line at [email protected], it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Peter Tomalin

Joking aside, the MK2 Fabia VRS is a cracking little car. I had a 2011 estate version for a few years and loved it.

the 1.4 twin-charged engine, while a brilliant concept, was a little flawed in the early days. The CAVE engine that was fitted from 2010-2012 is known to consume oil (mine went through 500ml+ per 1000miles) this eventually eats the spark plugs and can kill the engine.

Skoda addressed this with the CTHE version..although some oil consumption with these engines has been reported.

Cars have had engines replaced by Skoda under warranty to hopefully cure the worst affected cars.

6 minutes ago, MrTommo said:

Yes, I did pick up on the oil consumption issue!

Is there a similar thread that covers the DSG issues?

DSG issues have been minimal, the 7 speed box mated to the 1.4tsi works well.

The only thing to look out for is to make sure that it's had the DSG recall done. Skoda update the firmware on the box and replace the gearbox oil for mineral oil i believe.

You can ring Skoda, give them the reg of the car and they will tell you what warranty work/ recalls have been done.

Edited by Ally_bassman

MrTommo, 

Have you looked at the Pinned Threads at the top of the Fabia Mk2 Forum.

Look at the Oil Use one, the Spark Plug one, then the one by Lucifer, Lucifers Ultimate Guide' Part 1 & Part 2, links from seatcupra.net.

Read the 'Pulling to the left threads'. 

Read the vRS Mk2 Fabia Register, and read the various other much repeated threads from 2010-2017 and you will have a pretty good idea about Mk2 Fabia vRS Ownership in the UK & RoW.

1,800 CAVE engine & near 1,100 CTHE Twincharger Fabia Mk2 sold in the UK.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Have fun, there is plenty in the Mk2 Section to keep you busy.

• Like 1

Thanks both. Yep, have looked at the pinned threads, which are full of useful stuff. Will investigate the others.

If there's one particular thread that covers the DSG recall and what to look out for on that front, that would be extremely useful.

And I need someone for the 'I Bought One' section, who'd be happy to spread the love for the car and have a pic of their car in the mag. If anyone's up for that, drop me a line at [email protected]

Thanks again,

P

Bumped a DSG thread for you, 

there are several more if you search, 

& then the latest threads on Service Campaign 34H5,  i will bring that forward as well.

The VRS MK2 also a very tuneable car check the various project threads.  Mine was an oil burner then i turned into a basic stage 1.

Also a lot VW problems have crossed over into Skoda in the pinned threads section. Oil burning etc..

Having read about most VW's and possibilities of timing chain issues (cant park on a steep hill...without wrecking the timing chain...),

i would be a bit more confident buying VRS MK2 again against a Golf / Polo GTI of same second had calibre.

Let's not forget there were many vRSs that were not affected by either excessive oil consumption and/or that did not require the DSG Service Campaign.

• Like 2

EVO could ask Skoda UK.  Surely VW Group would be happy to be honest on the Warranty Claims and failures.

Even ask for an Interview with the Head Of Skoda UK Duncan Movassaghi and ask why VW got the Twinchargers so wrong with so many, revised the engine and tried to just blow off owners / customers.

But what we know is that more than 1/3 of the 1,800 CAVE in the UK were affected by the High Oil Consumption failing official tests getting the Breather Mod, Software updates, Oil Spray Jets or Replacement engines and even replacement engines needed replaced, 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-vrs-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many 

The post 12 months ago on the last page was when the New SKODA UK Brand Director was started and then the Call Centre / Communications managers all seemed to know very little about some supposedly over blown issue on the internet.

As to the DSG 2010 on there were lots needed the Synthetic Oil changed to mineral and the software update, 

& even now 2013 on needing a software update.

Even CTHE engine cars that were built after VW knew the Mineral Oil was needed got Service Campaign 34F7 done/

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

On 14 March 2017 at 10:10, MrTommo said:

I need someone with plenty of experience of the model to talk me through the the things you need to look out for, and also to describe what it's like to live with one, the plus and minus points.

I hope that you are going to research your "I bought one" contributor through their posting on here, as there are lots of very experience people who would hopefully give a truely unbiased review, but also those who mess with things they don't understand - unsuitable/badly executed modifications, lax maintenance, even down to the simple things such as incorrect plug selection/gap/change frequency which can destroy these engines.

• Like 1

That should feature in the article.  'Why i never bought a Mk2 Fabia vRS by vxh26 / vxh28'.

A RAC Article.  

Odd article on big ticket part prices, seems to miss out, Engine £3,500-£4,500, Water Pump, Complete DSG / Mechatronic Control Unit....

*How many have actually required a new Alternator?*

re the 'Chip Tuning' bit, are the RAC 'Tommy' as to the cars that may or have failed when completely standard as the factory built them 2010-2012?

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Skoda Fabia vRS (2010 - 2014) used car review review _ Car review _ RAC Drive.mhtml

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

So did my New Subscription yet again, so another Free Tool Kit, that is to add to all the others,  5 issues for £5 first issue is 'June' on 19/4/2017.

(6 issue subscription can get cancelled later, or maybe i will take 6 mags then cancel as usual....)  Tight / Scottish.

• 2 weeks later...

Not looked into a newsagents just hoping it drops through the door today before heading off on a bit of a roadtrip or i will have to go browse at some shop.

EDIT, got it, kettle on.

PS,

IMO a pretty good article that covers about everything needed as a Buying Guide.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2