[Technical] O3 compatibilty of Front camera and ACC

Hello guys,

I'm opening this thread to speak with skilled guys who might have done some retrofit of front assistants. I'm owning a vRS Octavia III non FaceLift.

I'm currently thinking of retrofitting the ACC sensor and the multifunction front camera (lane assist etc).

But, what I would like is the most advanced ACC (at least ACC high (up to 210km/h) and at the most advanced camera). In this way I would like to install the camera from the Superb 3 (or passat B8 ect ..), which is now installed on the Octavia III FaceLift, this camera has the ability to recognize pedestrians ect. The think which "could" be a problem is that the new camera hasn't the same shape, but it shouldn't be a problem since the O3 FL has a new windshield including the new camera support (Both non-FL and FL have the same windshield part number for non-camera support, so the windshield of O3 FL should fit the non-FL).

I'm also interested in retrofitting the ACC sensor from the Superb/O3 FL BUT it's placed somewhere else (just below the hood) whereas on O3 non-FL it's placed at the bottom grill. I'm currently not sure if there could be a way to install this sensor on non-FL (and at least we would need a special front grill for the radar to be able to work).

I'm also interested in having the full traffic jam assist.

Note : you might have to swap your ABS/ESP unit for this to work.

So, here is the aim of this topic, know if the new camera can work with the "old" sensor (the one in the bottom grill). If anyone want to test and play with this configuration, please post here :biggrin:.

Here are part numbers that works together (last revision)

- Non-FL O3: Camera 5Q0 980 653 G + Radar sensor : 5Q0 907 561 K

- FL O3 :       Camera 3Q0 980 654 G + Radar sensor : 3QF 907 561

- Superb 3 :  Camera 3Q0 980 654 G + Radar sensor : 3Q0 907 561 D

Radar sensor S3 and FL O3 is the same, only the installation bracket is different.

So, need to find if 3Q0 980 654 G can work with 5Q0 907 561 K :sweat:

Anyone wants to follow me in this crazy project ?

I doubt this will work, since even if you install the correct parts, the systems on the car cannot be programmed to add features that simple weren't there to start with - meaning, for instance, the pedestrian recognition.

If you say the same camera and systems are on the FL, and depending on someone managing to crack the encryption, you maybe (big maybe...) could backport the code to the older car, but there is still component protection to take into account.

Respect to you for attempting this, but I highly doubt it will work.

Retrofitting EBP shouldn't be a big problem, btw the O3 FL doesn't have EBP if I'm correct ?

From what I know, only ABS break unit should be upgraded in order to support new camera & new ACC.

Regarding component protection yes I know it's a big problem, but it could be fixed with the dealer...

Edited by MasterPrenium