Adaptive cruise - Undertaking....

Hello,

Read the manual... but i have noticed that when ACC is enabled, its not consistent by sometimes allowing you to undertake and sometimes triggering the warning image on screen and holding you back.   (ie - if you are driving on a congested motorway (where all 3 lanes are travelling around the same speed or in SPEC roadwork zones.) where some lanes are moving say a couple of MPH quicker than others, then slow down etc..)

I have found sometimes the car will trigger and hold the position behind the car in the right hand lane but sometimes does not see it..  I have tried by setting the ACC and then not pressing the accelerator (as pressing the accelerator will override it)

Anyone else find this ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Speedman said:

I use it all the time and the system allows you to undertake when on ACC and below 50mph as it sees this as a jam/slow traffic but above 50 the ACC won't undertake.

I haven't got my car with acc yet. What do you mean won't undertake? Does it look at the speed of cars in the other lanes?

1 hour ago, Speedman said:

I use it all the time and the system allows you to undertake when on ACC and below 50mph as it sees this as a jam/slow traffic but above 50 the ACC won't undertake.

That makes sense then, as must of the time when it will undertake is through SPEC 50mph zones...

thanks

25 minutes ago, tigermad said:

I haven't got my car with acc yet. What do you mean won't undertake? Does it look at the speed of cars in the other lanes?

So if you are driving on the motorway at 70mph when ACC enabled in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway, and the traffic in the outside lane (3rd) lane start to slow down (note - and there are no cars infront of you) the ACC will display on the centre MFD (between speedo and rev counter) a pic of your car in the lane which includes a picture of a car (its infact a yeti) on the lane to your right which details the radar has spotted this car and will keep you behind it to prevent you undertaking... if you press the accelerator it will override and continue at the set speed.

• Like 1

Agree with RickTT - that's exactly how it works.

I guess if you drive in mainland europe with the car set up for driving on the right the the ACC will adapt accordingly and monitor the Left hand lane.

2 hours ago, Smudgers said:

Agree with RickTT - that's exactly how it works.

I guess if you drive in mainland europe with the car set up for driving on the right the the ACC will adapt accordingly and monitor the Left hand lane.

Yes it does.. I didn't have to change anything when driving through Europe 

I was driving in a 30mph zone the other day, there was a car turning right (in a right turn lane) and my car suddenly braked!

Fortunately, I managed to stamp on the accelerator before the car behind rear-ended me. 

Gee, I love ACC!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

I was driving in a 30mph zone the other day, there was a car turning right (in a right turn lane) and my car suddenly braked!

Fortunately, I managed to stamp on the accelerator before the car behind rear-ended me. 

Gee, I love ACC!

You had acc turned on in a 30mph zone?

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

You had acc turned on in a 30mph zone?

I have mine turned on from 20mph, mostly because my route now includes various speed changes on the same stretch of road down to 20mph..    The ACC works really well, set it at the correct speed and keep the eyes on the road... plus dipping the clutch brings the car down to 10mph... lazy driving mode as i call it...

14 minutes ago, Speedman said:

That sounds to me like the 'city emergency brake' or whatever its called rather than ACC.

Yes.. get the image popping up now and again..

1 minute ago, RickTT said:

I have mine turned on from 20mph, mostly because my route now includes various speed changes on the same stretch of road down to 20mph..    The ACC works really well, set it at the correct speed and keep the eyes on the road... plus dipping the clutch brings the car down to 10mph... lazy driving mode as i call it...

Surely acc is the same as cruise in that it's best used where it's not busy and a fairly constant run with a consistent speed? Motorways and A roads for example. You wouldn't have it on around town would you?

8 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Surely acc is the same as cruise in that it's best used where it's not busy and a fairly constant run with a consistent speed? Motorways and A roads for example. You wouldn't have it on around town would you?

Depends how you want to use it... ie.. my drive in a morning goes through the following speed zones.. 30mph, 50mph, 30mph, 20mph, 30mph in that order....    So set the ACC to say 45mph with the shortish distance set which will keep up with traffic and then when you enter the slower sections the car just reduces the speed based on the speed of the car in front (its never quiet!) without having to press the accelerator or brake..  though with a manual i need to drop from say 4th to 3rd... and back to 4th/5th depending... (even easier if you had DSG..)

Its just easy... also like if you are descending down hills, if you set say 30mph, the car will brake (regardless of what's in front of you) and hold you at 30mph where as normal cruise would still be pushing you down the hill..  however its not hill descent control so best not make an habit of that as an element of engine braking is better in my opinion

Lazy driving mode... i use it now without even thinking about it..

Edited by RickTT

Use in traffic jams for cars with DSG is clearly described by Skoda as

" In a traffic jam scenario, the system merges Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist and the DSG gearbox providing both comfort and safety. The vehicle provides lane guidance to help the vehicle stay in lane whilst ACC automatically brakes and accelerates during areas of congestion, following the traffic ahead. For safety, the driver’s hands must remain on the steering wheel for this to work. "

Other marques describe it more accurately as 'queue assist'.

So it is OK to use it in such circumstances. I doubt that this is possible with a manual gearbox.   

12 minutes ago, Sagalout said:

Use in traffic jams for cars with DSG is clearly described by Skoda as

" In a traffic jam scenario, the system merges Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist and the DSG gearbox providing both comfort and safety. The vehicle provides lane guidance to help the vehicle stay in lane whilst ACC automatically brakes and accelerates during areas of congestion, following the traffic ahead. For safety, the driver’s hands must remain on the steering wheel for this to work. "

Other marques describe it more accurately as 'queue assist'.

So it is OK to use it in such circumstances. I doubt that this is possible with a manual gearbox.   

It disables at 10mph on a manual if the clutch is pressed in... if clutch is not pressed its 20mph or when the revs get too low.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Depends how you want to use it... ie.. my drive in a morning goes through the following speed zones.. 30mph, 50mph, 30mph, 20mph, 30mph in that order....    So set the ACC to say 45mph with the shortish distance set which will keep up with traffic and then when you enter the slower sections the car just reduces the speed based on the speed of the car in front (its never quiet!) without having to press the accelerator or brake..  though with a manual i need to drop from say 4th to 3rd... and back to 4th/5th depending... (even easier if you had DSG..)

Its just easy... also like if you are descending down hills, if you set say 30mph, the car will brake (regardless of what's in front of you) and hold you at 30mph where as normal cruise would still be pushing you down the hill..  however its not hill descent control so best not make an habit of that as an element of engine braking is better in my opinion

Lazy driving mode... i use it now without even thinking about it..

That sounds good, I'm getting a dsg. Lots of roundabouts where I live and work so will have to keep using the brakes unfortunately (if I'm the front of the queue).