Roof bars and window tints

Just picked up my new Octavia vrs estate last week, very happy with it but looking to darken down the rear windows, can anyone here recommend a window tint company around Cambridge area? Possibly looking to wrap the grill surround too. 

Next up roof bars, cycle carriers, I know there have been lots of topics on this but what's the best value around at the moment? 

Thanks in advance for any help/tips and thanks for adding me to the group. 

Andy 

Hi and welcome

I thought the VRS had privacy glass as standard?

The black mirror caps and grille surround can be had for about £35 each from Skoda or Superskoda.com

This place seems to do a good deal on bars and carriers:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk

45 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Hi and welcome

I think it's only the VRS 230 version which has the privacy glass as standard - certainly was the case whilst I was walking round the regular VRSs at the showroom.

Unsure if Skoda themselves supply any OEM tints - would always be wary of 'custom' / eBay items - so long as they let >70% light through (https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules) - but I'm sure you already knew that :) 

Sunset glass still an option unfortunately  and car was built but unregistered when I bought it. Had a quote of £299 for glass which I think is a bit high but I've not had much experience of window tint 

• Like 1

@mdog42 - in my experience as an (Ex?) idiot, I would strongly recommend getting it done professionally ;)

A friend of mine is up in Cambridge area, so will check with him when I can re: local custom garages / services for this. Definitely worth shopping around for best price though - £300 is quite high, eh?

2 hours ago, Ads230 said:

@mdog42 - in my experience as an (Ex?) idiot, I would strongly recommend getting it done professionally ;)

A friend of mine is up in Cambridge area, so will check with him when I can re: local custom garages / services for this. Definitely worth shopping around for best price though - £300 is quite high, eh?

Great thanks (£299 was from CBS Cambridge) 

8 hours ago, glosrich said:

Hi and welcome

The black mirror caps and grille surround can be had for about £35 each from Skoda or Superskoda.com

This place seems to do a good deal on bars and carriers:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk

Seconded.  Bought from roofbox several times and I can honestly say they're one of the best companies I've ever bought from over the internet.  If you have any doubts/questions, don't hesitate to give them a call.

Just now, Weiss said:

Thanks. If you can share some pics that would be awesome. Having looked at link I can't work out if it's fully blacking window like a roller blind in house window or is like tinted glass with some visibility? Thanks again. 

Edited by xyz321

Some pics of my car shades. I couldn't get any good ones of the outside without massive glare. Essentially, from the outside it looks like a really dark tinted window hiding the contents of my boot and blocking the sun from my kids. The best bit about them is the fact that they stay in place when the windows are opened, stops bugs and fly's getting in the car and still keeps the sun off. They are really easy to remove too and came with a bag to store them if you ever want to take them out.

The forth pic is from my wife's Fabia which also has them fitted.

IMAG0930.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

IMAG0933.jpg

IMAG0898.jpg

Another vote for roofbox; i've bought loads of stuff from them and they are first class.

Another vote for blinds too. I've actually got tints and blinds, and not visibility issues at all unless it's dark, but i have rear camera so not really an issue. I got mine from carshades but i'd get the superskoda ones if i was doing it again, as (i believe) the rear window is one piece. EDIT: looks to be one piece

EDIT2: and picture of darkness from outside

IMG_0021_zps5ry2yomq.jpg

Edited by village
  • Like 2

On 23/03/2017 at 21:19, Weiss said:

Some pics of my car shades. I couldn't get any good ones of the outside without massive glare. Essentially, from the outside it looks like a really dark tinted window hiding the contents of my boot and blocking the sun from my kids. The best bit about them is the fact that they stay in place when the windows are opened, stops bugs and fly's getting in the car and still keeps the sun off. They are really easy to remove too and came with a bag to store them if you ever want to take them out.

The forth pic is from my wife's Fabia which also has them fitted.

IMAG0930.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

IMAG0933.jpg

IMAG0898.jpg

Thank you. 

On 23/03/2017 at 20:25, village said:

Another vote for roofbox; i've bought loads of stuff from them and they are first class.

Another vote for blinds too. I've actually got tints and blinds, and not visibility issues at all unless it's dark, but i have rear camera so not really an issue. I got mine from carshades but i'd get the superskoda ones if i was doing it again, as (i believe) the rear window is one piece. EDIT: looks to be one piece

EDIT2: and picture of darkness from outside

IMG_0021_zps5ry2yomq.jpg

Is this a picture with both fitted? What % tint are they?

2 hours ago, Adcooper said:

Is this a picture with both fitted? What % tint are they?

It's both. They're factory tints but off the top of my head I can't remember what that is

After its first wash in 5 months so a bit cleaner. You can't see in at all, but you can see out fine so long as it's not dark 

IMG_0351_zpsysl6x0mu.jpg

• Like 2

You might want to take a look at Solarplexius tint panels 

Had them on my MK11 combi

Excellent and hard wearing except that you cannot drop the rear windows

Arrived from Sweden in about 3 days 

Never used the retaining clips as they stayed in place on their own