Failed Windows 10 updates causing Internet connection problems ?

Clunkclick

BOFH(****** Customer From Hell ?).

This forum is, under a certain member's influence, turning into abuse and grooming central.

Judging from the responses and attitudes expressed above,  "Bunker mentality"  seems to be the starting position for "I.T. Professionals" in their relations with customers.

What can you say, aprt from just keep it up boys to keep the regulator and the Treasury in the style to which they accustomed !

Now, seeing the serial fines being handed out would have real amusement value.

Nick

The IT philosophy/ethos seems to be, to me, (Bourn out by the some of the above)  to sit in an ivory tower, and tell everybody else "We know everything, we're holding onto all valuable information, you're not getting anything, you're all stupid, you solve the problems we created and where's my BMW ?"

AKA, the definition of a closed shop elite, . . . old boy.

i.e. Not doing your image any favours:-

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

23 hours ago, gadgetman said:

We have godwins law. 

I think we need Nick's law. No thread started by Nick can reach more than 10 posts before BT is mentioned 

Surely,  good news for customers on fixed data allowances.

If this and a more reasonable lower level customer service response (I.e other than pure obscurfication and denial)  from BT had been available 9 months ago, then there wouldn't have been the need to refer the matter all the way up to the BT Chairman's office .

In my view it gives the customer a better stab at controlling usage against allowance - but I can see how over-commercially minded providers might see this as a downer .

I think this a  product of a general move (In the UK) towards clearer statements/bills (Even British Gas have gone down this route).

Problem with the retail  commercial model for the internet , it all seems to be under the thumb of the US, where in-page advertsing rules the roost, making some sites almost unusuable - I don't know whether this explains why BT were trying to get most Infinity users onto unlimited service.

N

"All the audience were happy, . . and smiling, all the men had erections and all the women were ovulating left and right"

True to IT form - Two hour  delay on my moderator  approved posts ! 

N

Edited by Clunkclick

3 minutes ago, Clunkclick said:

Apologies if your posts don't get approved in a speedier manner but I was wondering if my previous post was just a little too subtle - and your need to reply was greater than my need to stop you from digging the hole even deeper!

The badger baiting stops now.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some days I feel like I have the patience of a saint, others, like this one,  I realise patience zen master is but a distant light. Moderation queuing can be all but avoided with a bit of self moderation before going nuclear. Now I also know I talk in metaphors and it's a royal pain if I go too far off the reservation... today I find myself somewhere off the reservation. 

I was recently trying to help a passive/mildly aggressive person get his camper van out of a boggy garden. He'd been to arrogant to park it on the concrete carefully. After a good few minutes of helping, I reached a point where helping clearly wasn't that appreciated, so I buggered off. The point is, a person can only know, say/suggest so much. If it's not used there is zero point saying it again, or continuing to burn the finite resource of life on the problem. Anyway he got his van out somehow. I guess he changed and did something different.

So I also run linux, but of late been running win 10 insider quick thingy dev preview and maybe I'm the chosen one... it's been ok. Well part from a couple of BSOD which sorted it'self out eventually.  The only connection issues I have is when swmbo turns the breaker off to get my attention over walking up the stairs.:wall:

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Clunkclick said:

BOFH(****** Customer From Hell ?).

This forum is, under a certain member's influence, turning into abuse and grooming central.

Judging from the responses and attitudes expressed above,  "Bunker mentality"  seems to be the starting position for "I.T. Professionals" in their relations with customers.

What can you say, aprt from just keep it up boys to keep the regulator and the Treasury in the style to which they accustomed !

Now, seeing the serial fines being handed out would have real amusement value.

Nick

Nick, old boy, seriously, the glasses, get them sorted, quickly. "Customer" doesn't start with an "O", well not in the english language anyway.

"Grooming central"? I really really would get those meds looked at if I were you, or you have just demonstrated a complete lack of understanding about the world in general, and what "grooming" means in this day and age.

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

The badger baiting stops now.

After levelling the "grooming central" accusation at the forum, I would hope that's not the only thing that stops.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

OT @RainbowFire - It's good to see an MCE saying something like that about the MC process.

It's like all the other qualifications in the world really.....it gets you a piece of paper. The piece of paper is worth something to the qualified and to their employer (obtaining a status that gives them free software) beyond that, it steers as far away from the real world as possible, which is of no great help when you need to resolve certain issues. Customers don't care about the "why it happened", they care about "how quick can I have it working again".

1 hour ago, Clunkclick said:

I think, and I am completely ready to be called out on this, but the admin/moderation team have lives outside of Briskoda. I may be wrong on this, and am wholly prepared to accept that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Clunkclick said:

The IT philosophy/ethos seems to be, to me, (Bourn out by the some of the above)  to sit in an ivory tower, and tell everybody else "We know everything, we're holding onto all valuable information, you're not getting anything, you're all stupid, you solve the problems we created and where's my BMW ?"

AKA, the definition of a closed shop elite, . . . old boy.

i.e. Not doing your image any favours:

Nick

Glasses, Nick, seriously, eye-tests are free for you. We were talking "closed mind" not "closed shop". (Seriously? you can't tell the difference between those two words?)

Strange, because people have repeatedly given you information you wanted, so "we know everything......you're not getting anything" is invalid.

We don't create problems, we have to solve the ones by those who think the computer "does it all on it's own" and "it was working fine yesterday" and "you looked at it three weeks ago and it's not worked properly for the last 2 days, so it must be something you've done". It's always easier to tell the support people what's gone on instead of denying everything you've fiddled with, and we can usually fix it in 20 minutes. Lie to us, and we'll take hours at the going hourly rate.

....and I know a very nice South African too ;)

Maybe an Apple Mac would suit you better........