Slow puncture... Is this permissible?

In the past few weeks I've had to replace two tyres due to hitting pot holes.

The first one was almost at the end of it's life so was no great loss.

The second one has plenty of tread and sustained a slow puncture.

The tyre place said they could not mend it because the pin hole was too  close to the edge.

In the meantime someone  told me I could claim against the local council for the damage and this is underway.

I kept the second tyre in case they need to see it.

I remember from my early days of motoring that garages used to put an inner tube into tubeless tyres to solve the problem if there was no other damage to the tyre.

Is this practise still allowed as it seems a shame to waste a good tyre, when we are all being told to save the planet.

If allowed is it 100% safe, which is my prime concern.

incidently I am no longer buying top of the range tyres @ £140.. + as they never get to the end of their natural life. Instead I am buying ones @ £70.00 ish, which the garage assures me are perfectly OK.

I know I could ask the garage this question but I thought  I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks

A generalization, but mid-range tires are 90% as good as top of the range ones at half the price. The low end is where you have to pick carefully to get any safety for those several dozen pounds you're spending per tire. The high end ones are often geared towards sportiness (higher grip) and that means softer compounds and faster wear than your well-rounded mid-range tires. They have their place but not in daily driving for the average commuter.

I've met plenty of people with large sports/luxury cars who get the cheapest tires they can find. First hand experience with testing modern driving assistance systems and if those crash test ratings really are true is worth something, I suppose

Modern on-road wheels and tires are designed to be tubeless, but if you do find a garage willing to put a tube in the tire, it will not pose any problems during normal driving if properly fitted. The safety electronics shouldn't have an issue with one wheel being a teeny bit heavier since the circumference of the wheel doesn't change. The tire with the tube might be a bit trickier to balance as well.

Can only speculate but I think you would need to do the same with the tyre on the other side - so both tyres on the same axle will have the same weight.

I'd replace the tyre. It may appear to have only a 'pin hole' but there could well be further structural damage concealed with the tyre that isn't visible when the tyre is either on or off the rim, sounds like it took quite a thump, so play safe.

The other reason for not fitting inner tubes is that a puncture with an inner tube is a lot more dramatic than a puncture with a tubeless tyre,I certainly would not like tubed tyres purely from the safety aspect.

I claimed successfully when I hit a drain hole on the motorway that had a dislodged  cover , got £700 off them for 2 rims and tyres. Took plenty of photos  of damage, drain , area of motorway and a video whilst waiting for rescue . Photos are a must , without them it never happened. Presented them with a bill for said tyres and rims and labour and they paid up

They've redesigned the road now to remove these type of drain covers

Edited by peterposh